1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Should C-Bill Be Traded For A Lottery Pick?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Dec 31, 2006.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah if he's damaged goods the Magic can be suckered.
    Is this his first serious injury?

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is pretty mystifying to me. This team was as good a chance as any, and a better chance than most - maybe a better chance than any - to come out of the East. Yeah, there are some tough teams in the West, but anything can happen in a seven game series.

What's the rush to rebuild?

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe some of us are simply afraid that this aging team stops being able to compete for a ship while the GM would wait too long to find some young talent. No one of us is interested into something like the teal era.

4. dba

I get that. No doubt there is some there there. But any opportunity to win it all is so rare I just don't see how you can give even a slim one up. (And I'm not sure this year is that slim a one.)

Maybe I'm reacting to what seems to be the standard NBA real meaning of "rebuilding" - we're gonna dump some salaries and let it ride for a while and try to make some money on this team. The Celtics have been rebuilding for 20 years, the Bulls for 10, etc.

Maybe I just don't believe there is really such a thing as rebuilding.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think retool is a better word... I don't have any problem trading Sheed or Chauncey... Sheed because he's a no show most games (including big playoff games)... I don't see how Maxiell or Amir would play much worse given equal minutes... and maybe Chauncey also because of the risk of losing him or future financial regrets.... We could assume that we'd get close to equal value in return.
    Yes we have the best chance to come out of the East... we will play Utah & the Spurs before the trade deadline... this should be a good barometer for our chances of beating the West best teams... if we win those games Joe may want to sit on his vets (no big trades).

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think that Chicago game looms large as well. The Pistons do not want to go into the East playoffs as the 4th seed.

Joe said he would look at moves (when he was poo-poo'ing an Iverson move) after 40-45 games so he would know what kind of team he has.

The loss of Billups complicates that but Sheed is not making a case (injury or otherwise) that he can be counted on as a key component or for veteran leadership (mindlessly chucking 3s throughout December). There is also the Lindsey Hunter concern to worry about.

I did think the Pistons would add a PG through a 10 day contract but after finding out some news this morning, realize they cannot. We have 14 guys under contract but because we are retaining Acker's rights through an outstanding qualifying offer, that counts as our 15th spot.

Detroit is at the 29 game mark. We'll hit 40 games on January 24th against Charlotte, and nearly 50 by the February 15th trade deadline. This January stretch will tell a lot about the character of this team and the intentions of the front office management.

7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

The 4th seed is certain to be the winner of the Atlantic Division - currently Toronto. Given that they're probably going to be worse than the 8th seed, it wouldn't be too bad to come in at third place in our division (except for HCA, which doesn't seem to mean very much to this team).

8. dba

I'm very happy with no sacred cows. And assuming close to equal value from any trade. Just not sure you can do that by trading for a draft pick you might use on a point guard.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

For salary match it would have to include a current player... but yes the draft pick would deplete the quality of the player coming back in a deal.

10. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I don't know about the max, but do I like the under the table part. Maybe Flip could call his old boss in Minny for some advice on putting that kind of deal together.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

:pound: