Should Davidson Give Joe the Green Light on Spending/Exceeding the Luxury Tax?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 11, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It was stated in the Detroit News that Davidson could allow Joe to exceed the Luxury threshold (like a lot of other teams do) in order to build a solid bench.

This not saying that we want to bastardize our philosophy of careful spending. We also are not talking about developing a "Knicks Philosophy", but for once we can go over the luxury tax, get a few quality young players in to play along with Amir & Maxiel, thereby developing our future starters.

Say for instance if you can trade (for the sake of argument) for a Delonte West, Jackie Butler, Juan Dixon, a couple of up and coming big men, this is looking to the future.

Tay & Rip are still younguns, the other starters are getting older as we speak.

My grandmother used to say, you get what you pay for, if you try to be cheap, that's what you are gonna get. Now it may work the first couple of times, but your luck will eventually run out when you try to do things on the cheap.

I am of the mindset of going out, spending a little bit more, get quality, resulting in quality dividends on the other end.

2. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Re: Should Davison Give Joe the Green Light on Spending/Exceeding the Luxury Tax?

I agree as long as we aren't overpaying for could be/might be players.I trust Joe's eyes for the most part he has made some good picks/pick ups from what some saw as nothing to get excited over.He has also made some decisions I'm sure he'd like back.It depends on how much over he can go and if Flip uses and develops the talent.I was pumped before he came in it was mentioned that his Minny team always matched up well because he used lineups that created problems,he was into making adjustments.

Well I don't know the reasons,he got caught up in the ride or what but if Joe has the ability to go over and get a bench constructed it better be used the right way.

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Re: Should Davison Give Joe the Green Light on Spending/Exceeding the Luxury Tax?

Don't overpay and I'm fine with this. It seems as if all coaches don't trust the bench so if we can get better talent we could see more bench minutes.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If Joe continues to work with a sub luxury tax budget (self-imposed or from the boss), we won't be legit contenders.

The reason why we could acquire Sheed was that our primary players were underpaid, our contributing youngsters (Okur and Prince) were making squat and we had a lot of surplus salary to throw into a trade.

The salary landscape has changed for the Pistons. There are very few "values" left to be found on the roster, and the drafted youth has been flat out disappointing.

This team needs to do more than sign Ben and use the available exceptions. It needs to bank some salary for future use in trade.

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yes. 165 straight sellouts, i think he can afford it...

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

To expect Joe to continue his Houdini act of turning coal into diamonds may not be realistic. In order to have any successful longevity he will have to operate on a level playing field with Dallas, Miami etc....
    This becomes even more difficult when you're trying to get equal value in trades for players 32+ years.
    At some point trading talent for expiring contracts will lose it's effectiveness.
    Trading away 1st rounders for today is also a high risk deal for the furure... aging assets and high draft picks is a losing proposition.

Joe's going to have to get lucky and draft a Josh Howard type... then pull off another Rip/Stack type deal while having a couple young players blossom for this thing to continue as is.... don't go to Vegas with those odds.

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No doubt. Not to mention, very deep playoff runs the past 4 seasons. Dude has money to spare.

I agree with armygirl. We should break the bank and blowup a budget a la the Knicks, but like Micro said, we can't expect to stay competitive in "the new" NBA without spending a bit more dough. Our value players are gone, time to put up or shut up.

8. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Also I think looking at our team players would want to come here to try to win a ship,fit in,contribute in any way they can.On the flip side Joe will get some offers but other GMs might not be willing to give as much because of his success in past trades.Then again we might get a good pick out of Orlando yet so who knows.

Davidson needs to roll out the mula he has been rolling in enough of it.It took the Fords one playoff win to raise ticket prices and how many losing seasons?We have a very solid 4 year run time to reinvest Bill,show us the money.

9. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

I don't know about exceeding the luxury tax. This year the cap is what.. 50 mil? Lux tax at 62? Next year the lux tax should be around 65-70. That's about as high as you want to go. You don't want to get too high over the cap or you risk getting yourself in a jam in years ahead if things blow up.

The Pistons this year are sitting at 59 mil. That's before Ben and Tay's deal and while Cato is still on the books. IMO try to spend at the lux tax but give a leeway of +/- 5 mil.

The fact is this team is no longer frugal or budget-minded. Ben will make 12 mil, Sheed 11 mil, Tay 9 mil, Rip 9 mil, Chauncey 6 mil, Dice 6 mil. Most teams that spend 10-15 mil on a couple players compromise by spending less on others. You can balance a superstar at SG with a mediocre PG or superstar C with subpar PF (Miami).

To be honest Joe hasn't done %%%% since he signed Sheed. He got Dice sure, but he's old and hit or miss. He's got to either get some young talent or work some deals out. You can't sit on the same roster for 4 years and expect to be a contender, you just can't. Next year we will be sitting at 65 mil assuming joe uses the whole MLE. The lux tax is going to be about 65 mil.

Miami spent 62 mil this year, Dallas spent 96, but take that down to 66 mil if you subtract Finley and KVH (worthless).

How much do you want him to spend? You want to try to buy a ship? That doesn't usually work out well. Joe has to get off his ass and work some magic. He's been lazy for too long.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm with you bro. Players will want to come here for either a championship, money, or pt. Players who want ships are old and right now we need youth. Youngsters want money and playing time. We all know they can't get too many minutes:laugh: so give more money.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think Tony delk was a big steal, but he got benched by Flip even though he was playing great. Delfino was playing great and he got benched as well. Joe D. hasn't made a spectacular move for a while and I'm expecting it to come this summer. Joe doesn't want this team to burn out and he'll work his butt off to get a move done.

12. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

With my limited understanding of the cap system it appears that all the Pistons have is an MLE and some change, barring a trade. So even if Davidson were willing spend the money to sign FA's, could he?

Can someone explain how the Mavs are able to have such a deep roster and still be able to comply with the cap rules? I get that you can sign your own superstar for a bazillion $$ but how are they able to get a high priced supporting cast and work within the different exceptions?

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Why should he? Why pay money to see a guy sit on the bench regardless of his talent level?

I'm sure he felt the millions spent on Dale Davis was well worth it. Delfino, Darko...I'm not saying these guys were superstars, but what good were they to the Pistons? Other than Dice, who played?They may as well have had Larry, Moe, and Curly on the bench. Oh, wait...they did have a Moe. In fact, that's the only one that played much. :frusty:

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Look for Part II of micro's 2006 payroll picture. With some luck it will be up late today.

15. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

GO FOR IT!!!

Max 10 Million above lux tax.

16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

To be fair to Bill Davidson he does spend a lot of money on the windbreakers he wears to the games.

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

From everthing I have heard and read, Joe Dumars works as hard or harder than any GM in the NBA. Is lazy the word that you meant?

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Joe D. has to fight out with other GM's too, he can't get whatever he wants whenever.

19. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oops. That was supposed to read SHOULDN'T break the bank. My bad.

I don't think we should go all out Green Light, but more of a proceed with caution Yellow. Don't break the bank, but don't be afraid of going a bit over the cap RESPONSIBLY. Help the present without mortgaging the future.

20. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Yes it is. 2 and a half years without a skillful deal of any kind is slacking. He offered DD and Mo more money than anywhere else, not exactly hard to do that. Delk was a decent pickup but it's not like he stole him away. He was released and we were the only contender that had a roster spot.