Should Davidson Give Joe the Green Light on Spending/Exceeding the Luxury Tax?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 11, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Re: Should Davison Give Joe the Green Light on Spending/Exceeding the Luxury Tax?

Name me a GM who has pulled off more than Joe D. has these past 3 years. He can't worry about getting anyone right now because he first has to resign Ben.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When it is somebody else's money, I'm always in favor of spending it.

How about this concept for a creative marketing ploy... full refunds for face value on the ticket to all fans in attendance when the Pistons lose. You could then charge 25% more for each ticket and there wouldn't be any ill will.

If you take your family to see a game, you can either guaranty that your kids will be happy, or your money back.

And when the team only loses 4 games a year, it would be economical too. Also, you have to factor in that not everyone would bother getting the refund.

This might be more of a concept for Mark Cuban to explore.
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: Should Davison Give Joe the Green Light on Spending/Exceeding the Luxury Tax?

Its hard to say that he's "slacking off" or "lazy" from our point of view. From what I've seen of inside the draft room type programs on NBATV, nothing comes of 90% of all trade proposals/talks, etc. Thats a lot of work for not.

Who knows, maybe Joe has offered 1000 trades that have fallen through. Or made contract offers to 100 FA's that didn't work out.

Not to mention countless hours put into player evaluations, number crunching etc. that is hard to quantify from the outside.
  4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I have no problem going over the cap and into the luxury territory as long as we sign young guys with a few years of experience with some upside. I don't want to see no Grant Hill or Alan Houston coming out of retirement signing like Dale Davis did last year for way more than he should have gotten.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What a great thread guys and gals!
    Good points by all of you. However TaS is thinking out of the box. I like it.
    I think JD has shown the skill and produced the results to be trusted.
    Mr.D has 3 other teams.
    If we play Amir he could be ready by the end of the season. I really don't think this team has any major issues. I think the guys had major health issues [ankles] and a shooting drought that came against a strong team. And maybe an ego problem that corrupted enough to lose.
    I don't think we need to go over the cap.
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Bill Davidson: "Basketbills, you are not a good person." :laugh:
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

My moles say Mr. D has hired Mr. Rogers custom Taylor... they're working on a new line of sweaters and matching slippers.

It's called Fear the frump!
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:laugh:

Ohhh, I gotta have some of those. Will they be mass marketed and available in time for Father's day?
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly. Nice post!