Should Delfino go to Summer League?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 20, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Pistons really only have their 60th pick this year, and the three picks from last year to form the core of a Summer League roster.

I think Delfino should go. There is this stupid idea that 3rd year players generally don't go to Summer League, but PROs working on their game don't get hung up on minor details like the fact it's a lesser league.

For instance, Ron Artest worked his game last summer after his suspension was over. Amare Stoudemire is scheduled to play in the Vegas League to get some run on his knee bionic knee.

Larry Bird played in summer pro leagues almost every year of his career.

So what I am saying is, shouldn't Delfino be leading our summer squad? Heck, Mo should be there too!
  2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

He'll be in Japan playing with Argentina at the World Championship. Obviously much better competition, though I don't know what his minutes will look like behind Ginobili and Nocioni. The games don't start untill August, but I would be suprised if they weren't preparing pretty soon.

I also seem to remember hearing about a 2 or 3 non-rookie maximum for summer league teams. I assume all 3 spots will be taken up by last years' rookies.
  3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

You mean the summer leagues has the same rules as the D-league?

Gasp!!

You mean we won't get a chance to see if Delfino can surpass his sterling performance last summer?

Get on the phone Joe!
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It doesn't have rules Hat, but it seems to be that many players these days seem to feel a sense of entitlement.

@FP22, that sucks man. The WC don't start until over a month after the end of SL. How much is to be gained (as a player) by riding the pine, when you could be playing with your professional teammates as a starter?

Unfortunately, this will mean he has to be traded. :P :ohwell:
  5. Mad Hatter

FreshPrince22
    Oh really? How many of those cats play in the NBA? Two?
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Might want to ask Darko if it's much better competition... he didn't do anything in Vegas... Neither did Delfino for that matter.
  7. Mad Hatter

mercury
    EXACTLEY!

Didn't one of them say something like "they don't get motivated for scrub competition?" Or was that a member of some fan club? I can't remember now.

If Delfino ain't in the Gym RIGHT NOW shootin 1,000 jumpers a day, he should keep on movin. Vaction is over.
  8. FreshPrince22

I hope you're joking. The Summer League competition is a joke. I've seen it live with my own 2 eyes (last year). 90% of the players never see an NBA floor, and it's a game of individuals trying to impress GMs and coaches. Nothing else. You get about 1-2 borderline rotation players per team if you're lucky.

And you want some of the competition he'd be facing in Japan?

Tony Parker, Boris Diaw, Dwyane Wade, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce, Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh, Elton Brand, Carmelo Anthony, Shawn Marion, Gilbert Arenas, Barbosa, Nene, Yao Ming, Memo Okur, Nenad Krstic, Peja Stojakovic, etc. Plus he'll be playing against Ginobili and Nocioni everyday in practice.

But yea, the summer league talent is right up there :laugh:
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Most of the best talent in the NBA has played in the SL (including Bron & Dwade)... there's a lot of scrubs that play in the Euro leagues also... difference is they've been playing together longer... lotta free Chilli over seas.
  10. FreshPrince22

First of all, there is no Bron or Wade coming to the VSL this year. It aint that kind of draft. Second, why face a young rook with no NBA experience and "upside" when you can face the real thing (Wade and Bron) in Japan in games that actually mean something? Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

Doing both would be a perfect scenario, but if he has to pick one, I'd rather it's the meaningful games against and with proven NBA-stars.
  11. Mad Hatter

Well...let's see. France, Serbia and the USA. Maybe Germany and Brazil. Sounds like 3-5 games. With Ginobli and Nocioni on the scene, how much time you think Delfino will get?

Besides, I bet there's more future NBA talent in the summer leagues than there is in Japan or where-ever.

All the players FP-22 has pointed out are players who have already established themselves in the NBA. Delfino ain't in that club yet.
  12. FreshPrince22

Who knows, but he'll get tons of time in practice going and Ginobili and Nocioni. Two guys that play a game much more like Delfino than anyone on our team.

But the CURRENT talent isn't there. It's playing at the World Championship. I don't get what is better about playing against players that may be good in the future, than playing against players that are great right now.

What? So? What does that have to do with anything? It's a good thing that he'll be playing against players that are better than him. First you say the competition sucks at the WC, then you say it's too good? I'm gonna be honest, you sound like you don't know what you're talking about. Either that or you were just hurting your original point (that the competition sucked at the WCs) to bash Delfino. Which is it?
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'll buy the fact that this year will be very weak.... there has still been excellent talent that has passed thru the SL...
    I don't like folks making it sound an insignificant venture.
    It would give this argument more credence if these young foreigners came to the SL and dominated... hasn't happened yet.
  14. FreshPrince22

No one said the SL was an "insignificant venture". It is what it is. It's weak competition (proven NBA stars don't play there), and it's a selfish style of ball by default since people are just trying to make a squad. It is game experience though, so it's worth it for the youngins. However, the argument here is that a player get more out of playing against those players in that type of game than they would playing against proven NBA Stars in a meaningful, team-first environment. A place where the players is more likely to improve their game outside of the few games they play because they're going at proven players (Manu, Nocioni) in practice, and for a longer period of time as well.
  15. Mad Hatter

FreshPrince22
    Well....it looks like my point(s) went right over your head.

First, it ain't "obvious" that there is more talent in "Japan" than there will be in the summer leagues.

Second, practicing against Ginobli and Nocioni and a host of non-NBA caliber scrubs ain't the same as practicing against legit hungry NBA prospects.

Third, talent is talent. Period. There will be more traffic coming into the NBA from the summer leagues than there will be from "Japan."

Fourth, a marginal player with NBA aspirations (especially one who had a marginal year on a championship contender) should be more focused on dominating the traffic that flows into the NBA. As opposed to playing in Japan with a few ESTABLISHED NBA "stars" and a bunch of scrubs.

Fifth, I ain't "bashing" Delfino. I'm sayin he needs to get his game together. I don't know about you, but I ain't in the mood for free passes.
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The US still has the best talent anywhere.
    They haven't dominated in the International competition because they have to learn to play rules that are significantly different than in the states:
    • Trapezoidal lanes
    • Different time clocks
    • Inside zones that take away American skills of post up and penetration
    • Shorter 3 point lines
    • Fans that hate Americans
    • Players that have been playing together in tournaments for years vs one month for Americans
    Don't kid yourself... only the very best foreigners can make it in the NBA... and most of them are defensive liabilities.

Back to the original subject... Delfino would have his hands full playing in the SL... and if he can play in Europe that would indeed be a bonus.
  17. FreshPrince22

Yes, yes it is
    Play against Ginobili, Nocioni, and "a bunch of scrubs" is better than an NBA "prospect" or two and a bunch of scrubs. Which is what it is. Look at some of the rosters from last years' VSL. You're lucky if each team has 1 or 2 borderline rotation players at the most. Last year there were TWO players in the entire VSL that turned into full-time NBA starters during the following season. Chris Paul and Chris Kaman. I listed plenty of starters (and plenty of all-stars) that will be at the WC.

Yet there is more current, proven NBA talent playing at the World Championship than there will be at the VSL. Sorry to tell you, but this doesn't help your argument.

Anyways, I'm done. I shouldn't have to argue the difference in talent between the 2 competitions (if you want to call the VSL that). Period.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'd like to take a short detour on this thread to discuss demographics in the NBA.
    The world population is currently 6.5 billion... the USA only represents 4% of this number (299 million)
    At the start of this years regular season there was 55 foreign players on the opening day roster.... that represents 12.5% of the active players (btw 24% are white)...
    60% of the foreign players in the NBA come from Europe.
    During the regular season only 3 foreigners were in the top 20 in overall efficiency rating (includes defensive stats)... or 15%

I believe it's a fair statement that the highest level of foreign talent are playing in the NBA.

There shouldn't be much of an argument as to the US dominance in basketball talent.
  19. FreshPrince22

Yes, if we're comparing top level US talent to top level foreign talent. But we're comparing a mix of all of the top players in the world from each country (including the best from the US), to players in the Summer League, which is the furthest thing possible from the top talent in the US. Huge difference.
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Must have missed the "detour" part
    I already agreed that this year there is more talent in the World games...
    Delfino still needs to prove he's above SL talent though.