Should Delfino go to Summer League?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 20, 2006.

1. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

No I saw the "Detour" part, but it sounded a lot like it was directed toward me, so I responded. Simple as that. Does "Detour" mean I'm not allowed to respond?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

micro lights a match, and casually tosses it over his shoulder as he heads to the movies. Typical.... :rolleyes:
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yep, Delfino should go to the SL if he can fit it in his schedule... it worked fine for DMC.
  4. FreshPrince22

The Fiba World Championship is a much bigger deal than Eurobasket (that Darko went to last year). Argentina didn't even send any NBA players to Eurobasket. So I would guess that they will start preparing much earlier than Darko did last year.

If he can do both with the schedule, the whole argument is useless (the more time to work on his game the better), but I swear I remember him saying that he might have to miss some of the preperation for the WC if the Pistons got to the Finals. That would mean he's already there.
  5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:laugh:

Sorry.
  6. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Delfino will never play another minute for the Pistons in Summer League or anywhere else. That's my guess.

Joe postured by saying Delfino should have played, he can help us, blah blah blah. I think he is getting moved and Joe is building him up.

Delfino wants out. Joe told him to stay positive and he would move him.
  7. FreshPrince22

We'll see, I think he'll at least have untill mid-season. Getting rid of one of the only natural slashers on the team would be a poor idea. If you haven't noticed, both champs since the "Handcheck" rules started being enforced have been teams based around paint-scoring big men (Duncan, Shaq), and slashers (Wade, Ginobili). I don't think that is going to change any time soon.

You never know though. If we move him I certainly hope we don't go for another 1 dimensional shooter that can't defend, create their own shot, or get to the rim.
  8. roscoe36

I know Delfino is a slasher, I just don't think he has done it in the NBA yet.

Seriously though, the guy needs to get his game together. Either as a contributor, or a trade piece.
  9. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Del-no-finisho when he got to the hole. :eyebrows:
  10. FreshPrince22

Yea, the slashing part of his game is obviously mostly potential at this point. Still doesn't know how to get his shot off well around shot blockers. He's still probably the best on the team at actually getting to the rim off-the-dribble, it's just a matter of finishing it off. But that's all stuff that, if it comes at all, comes with experience. Something no young player since Tayshaun Prince has gotten the opportunity to gain on this team.
  11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

no he shouldn't go to the summer league. the game in summer leagues just doesn't suit him. just like it didn't last year and it didn't suit darko last year. unselfish players that try to run plays and get others involved just don't do as well in summer league. i think it would create more bad habits than do him any good.

i'd rather he get ready to play with his home team and do well in the championships.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, because you have to work out and be in shape....
  13. roscoe36

Gee that didn't seem to slow down Chris Paul or Sebastien Telfair.
  14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

All this talk about Delfino, shouldn't Evans be going to the league to practice doing something with the ball, other than waiting for a wide open jumper to shoot?
  15. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Wouldn't that be against the rules? Evans is the same age as Rip.

These threads are hilarious. I knew there was a reason I shouldn't give up on the NBA just yet, and this is it. :pop2:
  16. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Here's my two cents (you can make change if you want)- While the raw talent is certainly present in the SLs, the established talent will be overseas. I would much rather see Delfino regularly practice against Ginobili and Noccioni and get some occasional burn in games that really matter, than see him grind out sloppy, insignificant games against the Brandon Bowmans and Ndudi Ebis of the world. Not that I'm saying the SLs are worthless, or that playing in one situation would exclude him from participating in the other, I'm just making a comparison. My personal opinion is that it's probably a moot point. Both Darko and Delfino were just going through the motions last year. If a guy doesn't really want to be there, then I don't really see the point in making him. It's just pointless.
  17. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Now were talking about my favorite subject -- Carlos Delfino. I have to admit I'm a huge fan of Carlos and I don't think that playing in the Summer League would benefit Delfino that much. Carlos is probably missing some of that home cooking and after a season in Detroit he wants to be back playing in familiar territory. Since he's so well rested from his lack of playing time, he's going to get some great workouts on a really good team that has a chance of winning the gold medal when the Olympics come around again. Reading the few articles that have been written on Delfino it appears he has very good work habits, staying late in the gym shooting endless jumpers. Last summer he rode his bike for a zillion miles to get in shape from his injury so he's motivated. To play in the Summer League would be a step down for him since he's going to be a 3rd year player and Joe has publicly stated he's an important part of the Piston's plans next year. The only thing there's only so much playing time for a small forward/big guard off the bench so I'm all for Mo and Carlos fighting it out in camp for the playing time. One of them has to go and what is Mo doing this summer to stay in shape and get motivated for next season? At least Delfino wants to play competitive ball and be part of a team that won the Olympic Gold the last time they were a unit.
  18. FreshPrince22

Chris Paul wasn't that great when I saw him there (didn't see telfair). He was a different player when I saw him for the first time in a real game (just a couple games into the season). In fact, digging up some stats, he scored 11.8ppg on 37% shooting in the SL. David West only put up 6.5ppg to go with 3.8 fouls per game. And look at what those guys did during the season. It's hardly a good representation.
  19. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I still think his priority should be the summer leagues. If he can also play for his country, fine. I just don't see how practicing against Ginobli and Nocioni would be any more benefit than practicing against Tay, Rip, J-Max, AJ, and company.

Last year he went home; came back two weeks later (seems like); and was frightfully out of shape. This after vacationing the whole year. I recall he was too embarassed to take his shirt off in the summer leagues. Plus he got his lunch handed to him regularly. :frusty:

Come to think of it; maybe he would be better off playing in Japan. :laugh:
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Here's my thought on this.
    Carlos should play on whatever league helps him advance his game... If he's playing or practicing for Argentina fine... if not then the SL should not be below him...
    personally I'm a lil tired of this prima donna attitude... show up... play your ass off or go somewhere else... that's it... there ain't no special rules for guys that are too good for the SL

I'm from Missouri (really)... it's time to show something more than a reputation.