Should Delfino go to Summer League?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 20, 2006.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Below the surface, this discussion seems to be less about the actual worth of Summer League and more about wanting Carlos to show some kind of extra commitment to Detroit. But why should he?

I've got nothing against a guy representing his country with a world championship at stake, compared to a glorified shirts/skins scrimmage for a team that hasn't done crap with him.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The question is ... can he do both?... Darko was able to (regardless of affiliation)... if he can't due to practice for Argentina then that's not a problem... if he's just resting up for FIBA then it may be a problem... because he has more to prove right here in the good ol' USA.
    Can anyone say for sure that he'll get major minutes for Argentina?
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'll answer that... because this is the team that's paying his bills... not his national team.
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

You're saying this assuming that you know where the people who are actually paying those bills would prefer he play at. Joe and Mr. D could see it the same way I do. That the more organized, lengthy, and meaningful games would provide a better chance to improve his game over the summer.

Again, this is if it's one or the other. If the preparations don't start untill after the SL, I'm sure he'll be doing both.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ultimately, I just want him to play SOMEWHERE. He needs some PT and hopefully some confidence going into next season.

There are pros and cons to each location.

Summer League vs. National Team
    Pros - close to home (for the Pistons), less likely to be in over his head, more PT than with National team (I'd imagine).

Cons - caliber of play and intensity probably not the same as with national team, more selfish play than team play in SL - individual players trying to work on their game and impress rather than having a single team goal or national pride to worry about.

Either way, to paraphrase Darko "I jus vant Fino to play!"... "and then ride firetruck!"
  6. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Wow, lots to digest in this thread.

1. Summer League. Who have we sent in the past? Horace Jenkins? The 3 Rookies? Darko? Delfino? Glinny? Undrafted Rookies? Other teams are sending the same guys? Guys who are doing what they can to make the team vs the World Championship with guys who know what it takes to be starters in the NBA.

2. WC. I don't have any problem with Delfino learning some tricks from Ginobli.

3. Tay. Someone mentioned Tayshaun in the summer league? I don't think so.

4. Mo Evans. That guy better be dribbling around obstacles in his driveway for 8 hours a day this summer.

5. Delfino owes this team, because they pay the bills. Yeah, Delfino owes it to them to make whatever steps it takes for him to develop further. Will the Pistons have scout at the WCs? You bet your butt. Will they be trying to figure out if he is ready to get the playing time? You bet your butt. If he plays well will the front office tell Flip to play him? You bet your butt.

6. Delfino is above the summer league and that's wrong. Has anyone heard him say that? Or read it? Or have we just read that he is excited about returning to a team that won the Gold Medal in the Olympics and competing at a high level?

7. More playing time in the Summer League. I don't know about this. With undrafted rookies, and other teams cast offs, and rookies, and journeymen showing up... especially with only one draft pick this year... whoever is coaching the SL team will probably be trying to evaluate the talent that is new to him, rather than the talent that has made the team for the last 2 years.

That is all.
  7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

As a reminder to anyone who wants to bring up the "they pay his salary" argument, Carlos has paid a lot of the Skipper Bologna buyout from his own pocket because of NBA rules. Have the Pistons felt any obligation to reward him with PT? So let's not go off the deep end on the whole salary thing, because we know pro ball isn't like the real world.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yes there is 30-35 high echelon players in the FIBA ships (about 10-12 from the US)... a much higher % may not even qualify for an invite to a SL camp... I think we're getting a little carried away with the superior talent thing... remember more "talent" has gone thru the SL than FIBA.
    Wasn't Mo Evans the Euro MVP? :P
  9. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I had a post between Prince's 1:03 am and jamer's 7:27 am. Now it's gone. How did that happen?
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lemme check j-train.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

You could almost make a Foreign allstar team out of players that have passed through the SL in the past couple years:
    Boris Diaw
    Zarko Carbarkapa
    Sasha Vujacic
    Anderson Varejao
    Leandro Barbosa
    Etc etc.

Add in some more NBA "scrubs" like:
    Ron Artest
    Kris Kaman
    Emeka Okafor
    Dwight Howard
    Ben Gordon
    Deron Williams
    etc. etc

Let's not even get into the year before when the big 2003 crop was playing in the SL

Keep in mind that the SL is not just for rooks... often 2nd & 3rd year players participate.
  12. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

No. He wasn't.
  13. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I don't think anybody could argue that there isn't talent in the SLs. Virtually EVERY great player goes through the summer process during his career. I didn't go to Vegas last summer to watch garbage ball played by pikers. It was good ball. I just see it as having diminishing returns as a player progresses over the years. I think Delfino is at that point. The SL is great for young guys and internationals who are trying to adjust to the american game, but there is a reason vets stop going. One of the main reasons is the relatively new option of international ball, which wasn't available for NBA players until the early '90s. Another reason for nonparticipation for vets is the emergence of world class private training programs, such as A.T.T.A.C.K. Athletics at Hoops The Gym (run by Tim Grover), and The IMG Basketball Academy (Tayshawn Prince, Chauncey Billups). SL ball is a crucial part of a players development, but at some point he'll have to pursue new challenges.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

All I know is that for every Boris Diaw there are 5 Yaniv Greens (stellar career in Israeli league) that can't outplay 20 year olds to earn a roster spot.

AHB, you're right Mo only earned Player of the Year in the Italian League (Delfino's league).... Then there's Tony Parker who couldn't land on an NBA roster.... how many NBA rejects went on to be a top talent abroad?

Jtrain, I agree that there are diminishing returns (not to mention resting tired legs)... although I don't believe Delfino has reached that elite status yet... there's still plenty of room for development in the NBA game...
    I hope he does very well for Argentina (at least get solid PT)... my concern is he'll get used to free chili going up against soft inside players.... he needs more experience in the quick game as opposed to skills that he already posseses.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My big thing is minutes. And playing with your pro teammates. And playing on an NBA style court.

I respect any athlete's desire to represent their country. It's one of the most important things a person can do. But as a Pistons fan, if there is a way to do both, CD needs to seriously consider it.