Should we have looked into signing Pittsnogle?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Winless Wonders, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I just saw that Kevin Pittsnoggle 6'11 center from West Virginia just signed with the Celtics. He was not drafted in the draft and played on the Miami Heat's summer league squad. This guy average a little over 19 points a game at West Virginia. He was primarily a deep threat shooting 41 percent from the 3 point line.

My question is should Joe D. have tried to bring this guy in to see what he had to offer. This guy coming off of the bench would have been a nice complement to add I think in my opinion. He is young only 21 he is not much of a rebounder only averaging 3.7 a game. That is something that would definately have to be addressed and worked on but with the upside I think it would be worth it. I have watched a number of his games and he does have a few post moves but he never really used them much. I can't blame him when he is shooting at a 41% clip from the 3 point line. Also the big bargining chip in all of this would be that he would come cheap. We need all the depth we can get at center. I don't think Dale Davis has any gas left in the tank.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe D. has invited Rick Rickert to training camp. Rickert was with the D-League Patriots (Acker, Cleaves, Johnson) and on the Pistons 2006 Summer League team.

Should we have looked at Pittsnogle? Maybe, but I always wonder about these guys who fall right out of the draft..

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Its hard to say. We can't even develop our draft picks. We are overloaded with 11-15th man prospects. Pittsnoggle/Samb...its a toss up.

4. Winless Wonders

I see why he fell because of his foot speed. But all Center's are slow in the NBA. If he had to play power foward then he might get abused but coming off the bench for 10 minutes a game I think he would be alright. It is not like we are asking him to start. I still say there was way more upside than down side. Shoots the 3 at 41% shoots mid 80% from the free throw line and has some post moves. As long as he is a hard worker which from all accounts it seems like it I think it would have been worth it. I don't want to say we dropped the ball again unless they know something about him that we don't but it seems that way.:ohwell:

Here is the scouting report from the NBA draft Bio:

Pittsnogle is clearly the best shooting big man in the draft. Despite being nearly 7-0, he can shoot the ball better than many guards from the outside. Pittsnogle has no conscience and will shoot from anywhere. As a senior, 227 of his 485 shot attempts were 3-pointers, and he made 91 of them at a 40 percent clip. Because of his height, he can get his jumper off against anyone and seems to shoot better with someone in his face. He averaged 19.3 points per game last season and recorded 16 games with 20 or more points, including two 30-point efforts. Although he is prolific from the outside, Pittsnogle actually has a few other offensive weapons, including a jump hook and a fadeaway jumper he likes to employ in the lane. He also often shoots 3-pointers fading away. Pittsnogle shot 86 percent from the free-throw line last season, but he only got to the line about three times a game because he's always on the perimeter. He knows how to move without the ball and how to utilize screens to get open for jumpers. The problem with Pittsnogle is on the defensive end. He lacks lateral quickness, and despite his always solid efforts, he will likely not be quick enough to defend anyone at the NBA level. His lack of quickness also stops him from beating anyone off the dribble. Pittsnogle is not a skilled rebounder or shot blocker, averaging 5.5 rebounds and 1.2 blocks as a senior. But his effort cannot be questioned, and that showed especially last year in his conditioning. He averaged 36.0 minutes per game, up from his previous high of 26.6 minutes as a freshman. Scouts are not sure what position he will play in the NBA, but he's a mentally tough player who was, without a doubt, the emotional leader of the Mountaineers. His one-dimensional game and lack of foot speed will cause him to fall to the second round or go undrafted, but someone will want his shooting ability coming off their bench.

5. Slippy

sounds pretty 1 dimensional to me. I'll take Samb. Rickert was very productive in summerleague.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's hard to debate something that is in the past and will never happen. I agree with Roscoe. With all of the NBA scouts out there these days, if a guy doesn't get drafted, there are good reasons. The Pistons don't need another #15 player. I don't see the upside.

7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Know zero about Pittsnogle, but Rickert looked good in the one game I saw in summer league, so if Big Rick gets a decent chance to show himself and signs on, I don't think it matters.

However, I am at an utter loss as to why we stopped playing Caner-Medley in the games, I'd much rather have him than Super Dupe as the backup-backup 3. Does anyone know if he was offered a contract from someone else, or if something happened between him and Detroit?

8. Slippy

9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Slip, thanks for the link. But it scares me. Is this what Detroit does, take rooks with good games, good potential, and then go with low skilled veterans that they trust?

I mean, come on, Super Dupe over anyone? He has proven that he can't play in the NBA, C-M has at least some potential.

At this rate, I wouldn't be suprised if wave Amir to bring in Uncle Spliffy.

10. MaxieltheBeast

MaxieltheBeast Second Round Draft Pick

I don't know,it's too late now to talk about us signing him now but he will play more with the celtics and thats best for him.I like the dude alot and wanted the Hornets to draft him with our 2nd round pick.I don't know why u would want the Pistons to sign him.He wouldn't play plus we got Cheik Samb who plays his position and we need to evaluate him and see if he will stay here or overseas.I would say no because I like him and wouldn't want him to be another Darko on the Pistons bench

11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The only thing I've heard about Caner-Medley was somebody quoting an NBA TV commentator that he'd hurt his foot after the first couple of games. And after all the complaining about the Pistons' lack of an interior scorer, why choose a 6'11" perimeter player? Pittsnogle makes sense for a team lacking shooters, but that's all he can do.

12. Slippy

Between pittsnogle and rickert...i'd go with rickert. That looks ugly with how he plays but he gets the job done. decent post moves too.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Pittsnogle signed with the C's.

14. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

it's funny that winless would advocate signing a guy just like darko except he doesn't play D. winless has been one of the hardest darko critics and he says give this guy 10 minutes but couldn't see it in his mind why we should "give" our # 2 pick that could shoot, pass, block shots, and defend 7 minutes to keep him happy.

nope to pittsnogle the celts didn't get over on anybody.

15. linwood

linwood All-Star

I am against signing Pittsnogle. Having a 7 foot tall unproven white guy rumored to be deadly from 3 point range sitting on the very end of the bench and not receiving playing time is more than Pistonsnation could handle.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You can be sure as a "big" JD gave him the thrice over.
    As for this Pitts, a good unbridled shooter, Flip would love him.

17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:laugh: OMG, you speaketh the truth Linwood.

This guy really is lights out on the 3 pointers. I watched him in the March Madness 2 years and was tracking him for the draft. I thought for sure someone would pick him up for the raining 3pters alone. Someone did and it wasn't us, and as you astutely point out, it's for the best. :laugh:

18. Winless Wonders

I was never against Darko getting playing time. I thought he should have gotten to play 10 to 15 mins a game when he was here. It was stupid to draft the guy #2 overall and have him sitting on the bench. I was hard on Darko because of his work ethic and his immaturity.

As far as Pittsnogle goes I don't see how you can make a comparison to Darko. I have seen Pittsnogle dominate games in college. He averaged 19 points a game and he does have a low post game he just never used it much because his college team did not ask him to. He would be coming in as a undrafted free agent not the #2 overall. If he works out and contributes fine if not cut him after camp and move on. As far as Pittsnogle not being good defensively well thats what the coaching staff is for. He is a hard worker so he can be taught defense.

I am just throwing out ideas for disccussion since it is so freaking dead around this time of year. I don't buy the Pistons kool aid as it is 100% gospel. These guys do make mistakes in evaluating and lately seem to make there decisions based on the dollar number attached rather than need. Unless you have a bench putting up an average of 20 to 25 points a game you are not going to make it to June.
    Defense is dead in the NBA because Stern said so.

19. final.wrath

final.wrath Banned - Sent to NBDL

whats it matter what color he is

20. linwood

linwood All-Star

I guess it doesn't.