1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Should we keep Cbill#1...?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Jul 24, 2006.

?

Keep C. Billups?

1. YES, no doubt about it

57.1%
  2. YES, but I draw the at $20mil. per

19.0%
  3. YES, so we can sign and trade

16.7%
  4. NO, Dumars can find interchangable Point Guards.

7.1%
  1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think CB's ETO starts 7-30,-06
    That means we'll know how coveted Bup-Bup is then.
    I see some frenzied courting for his talents before CB limits the offers to where he wants to be.
    The cash thrown on the table for him will be lustful [no better way to put it].
    Remember it's not your money. Should the dollars go into the $20+mil. per year will you be loyal?
    We all know his portfolio:
    Classy guy
    Near MVP [all inclusive, passer, scorer, floor general, best half court PG]
    Big game player year in year out.
    Prime of his career.
    This is not a public poll. I won't come looking for the no voters. ;-)
    ---the word "line" is missing---

2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

20 mil per.... HA! I draw the line near 10 mil per year depending on the years for a 30+ year old PG. If the team falls apart this year, then he's definately a goner. No reason to pay an older guy to hang out and kill our cap while we try to rebuild.

His hype will likely die down some this year anyways. I doubt he gets any individual accolades with Ben gone. Certainly no All-D team award (what a joke).

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

On the open market (@ auction) that number is realistic.
    How many teams would like to steal our heart?

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As long as the price is right and the deal isn't too long, I'm not against bringing him back. But like FP22, I'd draw the line in the $10 million neighbourhood.

It doesn't make sense to draw the line with Ben but then open the vault for CB a year later. Joe D needs to be firm. If bidding gets out of hand, let him go, but at least get a S&T in return this time! :frusty:

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Ditto what FP22 said.

If someone offers Chauncey $20 million dollars, I suggest Joe turn his cell phone off and take an early vacation. That's KG, Kobe, Iverson, Shaq money.

Billups is a decent point guard, deserving a nice raise and long term deal, but not such a deal that takes him to the age of 35 and makes him untradeable.

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's how Minn is holding on to KG, a huge contract.
    Kobe and Iverson are nothing without good head coaching.
    I guess Shaq is worth it. He brought Miami a 'ship in 2 years. With the aid of a great coach.
    ---------------------------
    Hey, I made sure this wasn't a public poll. Are they all public now?

7. roscoe36

It was created as public. I can't change it to private now. Sorry.

8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Losing Ben makes losing Chauncey more likely, even logical. That is why I was so upset with the summer doings. Chauncey will bring a lot of money in the open market. Why would Davidson spring for him? We would have to have a phenomenal year next year. Otherwise, there will be a lot of pressure to sign and trade. We can't afford to let Chauncey walk like Ben. Micro, can you help out with the possible scenarios next summer when Billips opts out. Can we afford to wait the last year out?

9. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I wouldn't be surprised at a deadline deal.

10. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yes. we should keep chauncey. he is mr. big shot. he's automatic at the free throw line. i say sign him because there aren't too many great point guard with his special skill set. he is going to pound those speedsters into submission in the post. also i say sign him because really chauncey's skills probably won't diminish too much with age. he isn't the quickest already and he's making mvp type production with that.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sometimes if you uncheck "Show your signature" and go back and type more post, it will automaticly recheck. Maybe going back and forth in the post rechecked it.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If CB had a 5 or 6 year deal he can opt out after 4 years. I think the noise starts in 5 days.:nod:

13. roscoe36

The only noise is that he can exercise his Early Termination Option. Other teams can't negotiate with him until FA starts July 1st 2007, or sign him until July 12th 2007. He's under contract to Detroit this year.

I'm not poo-poo'ing the thread, but this is all really premature. First he has to survive the trade deadline, and only after this season is done can we begin to guess what value he will have as a FA.

14. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Goodbye Chauncey.

Of course he doesn't just walk, but he's gone before the Deadline. Oddly enough not an option :confused:

15. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

I suspect Billups fate will be closely tied to Coach Flip. If Dumars is looking at Flip as his long-term coach, then Billups will get the loot. If Flip gets boot, then no loot for Chauncey.

Billups stock is very high right now. I can promise you he is looking to cash in. It's not like he is afraid to play for another team. The guy has been traded many times and he bailed on Minn for a starters job. If somebody comes calling with a fisful of money, he will leave.

Hopefully Joe D is more on top of this than the Ben Wallace situation which was horribly mismanaged.

We can not allow our starters to walk with nothing in return and stay in the Title hunt.

This year will tell us a ton about Joe D. His stock is down a bit on my ticker. If he mismanages this situation also, then I will be very worried.

The problem as I see it, is that likely suspects for trade partners are going to have the same concerns about him bailing on them at seasons end. Those with the cap space will try to pull a Chicago and get him without giving anything up at all.

The Ben Wallace contract drama is going to haunt us in more ways than just on the court.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

CB is the the supposed team leader. If he cannot lead the team into the finals then I would give him no more than a $60 Mil 4 or 5yr deal. No $20m discussions unless his stats are better than last season and the 'good" record is a reflection of that. In other words his contract should be based on what he does in this FA contract season and how much it affects the team's success.

If the pistons are knocked out in the first round and his regular season and post season stats are average, then do a sign and trade if someone wants to offer him more.

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Please explain what you mean by "horribly mismanaged". I don't see what more Joe D could have done. He offered Ben what most would consider a very fair offer. The Bulls made a ridiculous offer that was correctly not matched. Chicago would not gain anything by doing a "sign and trade" with Detroit, so those discussions never materialized. The power was all in the hands of Ben, not Joe D.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

CB has said he would opt out. And why not, he is grossly underpaid.
    He started here beginning in 02 and received a 5 or 6 year deal.[that's 02-03, 03-04, 04-05, 05-06] After 4 years in a 5 or 6 year deal you can opt out. The ETO's start 7-30,-06.

19. roscoe36

You are missing it TFD. He can exercise his ETO, but he's still under contract to Detroit this year, and cannot begin ANY negotiations until July 1 2007.

If a team is caught talking to him now, they are risking a tampering charge which typically retarts a franchise for several years.

20. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Bill Laimbeer- I can see we will disagree on this one, but let me tell you what I am thinking.

Joe D could have renegotiated with Ben prior to this year, to prevent him from becoming an unrestricted FA. Franchise players typically get locked up early to prevent them from walking w/o anything in return. When we did not do this we gave Ben the window of opportunity to get a contract offer like this from our division rival.

I think we should have matched the Chicago offer because of what Ben means to this squad.

If we leave our best players open to be picked up without anything in return we are going to falll fast and hard. Better to have traded Ben to a team that was willing to pay him but didn't have the cap space to sign him outright. We should have done that prior to the trade deadline if we thought we were going to lose him anyhow. And if Joe had no idea this was going to happen then he really is out in left field. He needs to know what is going to happen before it happens.

Better for Joe to be agressive and have to answer for his actions than to be passive and try to blame it on the greedy player and the stupid team who overpaid.

I think Joe takes a cavalier attitude to the value of his players. We are not always going to be able to win in FA and his draft record is so/so. We can't let players walk for nothing. Simple math.