Should we keep Cbill#1...?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Jul 24, 2006.

?

Keep C. Billups?

1. YES, no doubt about it

57.1%
  2. YES, but I draw the at $20mil. per

19.0%
  3. YES, so we can sign and trade

16.7%
  4. NO, Dumars can find interchangable Point Guards.

7.1%
  1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Com'on, CB would play through that. To the bitter end.
    He had no excuses, so he took the blame, as the leader should. He wasn't tired. His best effort has beaten down.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Defend, drive the lane, be a humble MVP candidate like Nash.

Oh, that's just mean.

That's the idea of fan communities. You get to "have a take". I'm not going to apologize for having a take, or for sharing it.

Scorpio actually.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is an unfair example since Nash is Canadien.

4. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

And Nash doesn't defend.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Fine, fine, fine, fine. Geez.

Substitute shoot a high % for defend then. Y'all get my point!

6. Hobbs

Chauncey's actually a pretty high % shooter when you adjust for 3 pointers. He's nowhere near Nash (who is just ungodly good), but given his 3%, FTAs, and FT% he's a pretty damn efficient player. Throw in the a/to and he's even more efficient.

It would be ideal if we had a fast, defensive minded, penetrator to back him up (because Chauncey will never be quick), but you aren't going to find more than a handful of pgs that give you what Chauncey does.

7. Hobbs

I just wanted to add that unlike Ben Wallace, there is no evidence Chauncey is getting worse. Ben's numbers have been going down consistently where Chauncey's keep going up.

He's going to cost a ton and I support the notion that we need to decide early if we're going to pay him. If we aren't then we need to trade him by the deadline for picks and a young prospect.

8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You know, I haven't really thought about it in trying to decide if CB should stay or go, but his FT ability is a big factor.

Dude is MONEY at the line. He is clutch in the clutch. Take CB out of the equation and our poor FT shooting team gets a whole lot worse.

Not saying that should be the reason we resign him. But I for one tend to take it for granted with CB. Its almost automatic. When he does actually miss one, its a bigger deal than when Ben actually hit one.

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yes we should. Everyone is saying no because they are flaky. Going into the playoffs everyone loved Chauncey. Okay he had a major meltdown, but so did the rest of the team.

You want Chauncey to be a pass first gaurd? He gives this team 8-9 assists plus he hits big shots. If Chauncey pased every time especially in crunch time we would not win close games. Unless another team is stupid we will not get better if we deal away Chauncey.

Chauncey will bounce back and most of you guys will want him resigned. Maybe not for 20 million, but we need to resign Chauncey. Chauncey is a top PG and if The Pistons let him go it will turn out ugly.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nash has a thick hairy chest.

11. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

LA Piston and Motown Pride. Thanks for the props.

BBall Jay- we just have to disagree on this one, I guess. You love to defend your favorite players, and I love to see the Pistons win ball games and Titles. No player is bigger than the team, and no supposed MVP is above criticism and scrutiny.

The last thing I want to do is dump all our players and rebuild. Hello, I was the one saying we should have resigned Ben. Your position of dissing Ben and defending Chauncey makes your comments about me being fairweather seem very peculiar indeed. Ben Wallace has been a huge factor in this teams great run. You could easily apply your comments about one bad series to Ben and call yourself fairweather.

At the least, you are ungrateful. Rocking a Darko jersey limits your credibility with me, I should add.

Billups was my favorite Piston until his head swelled to MVP size and his play couldn't keep up with his mouth.

I still think Billups can recover and be the player he thinks he is, but his recent comments do not indicate a humble return to form. We'll just have to wait and see... it is a contract year, so hopefully he steps it up and leads this team.

Sorry for the delay in response, but I was travelling yesterday. I'm in Miami for a work related event. Lots of pretty women on the beach, so you won't be hearing much from me for a few days. LOL.

peace.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you're right all the way through. But, the big question remains, if not $20mil, then how much? Roscoe could easily be right and someone could toss $15mil on the table for four or five years with some nice raises.

And as has been observed...

How high should the team go?

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

RobMic, I saw enough of BBeen to see an embarrassing player on O but a DPOY on D. I was willing to work thru these problems with BBeen but he's gone now. I would go so far as to say CB, by not getting the ball to BBeen, helped lead to his vanquishing. Some agree BBeen had peaked as a Piston. How many times did you see BBeen fumble an O possession? (what % ?) 25% ? It's not good PG play to pass him the ball.
    As we've seen our guys aren't good enough to carry a disgruntled player.
    Let's blame it all on Flip. ;-)
    According to Niers thread, CB told the USA team to kill the pride aspect and play as a team. Guys listen to guys that have rings.
    Still I have a problem with this big head thing. It's hard to NBA level ball with a 30 lb. head bobbing around on top.

14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Again, we get back to the money. Chauncey will have to be paid top dollar whether he is worth it or not. We won't get him cheaply any more than Ben. And then the question is: where is the team next June? Are we still playing ball or sitting? If we are sitting, do we pay top dollar to Chauncey?

I will say this again and am not happy in writing it: once we let Ben go (and I still think the real reason was hidden), it makes it more likely to let Chauncey go--not inevitable but more likely. We are on a path that is not as promising as 6 months ago. I eagerly await the season and hope as a Piston fan that things do fall into place. I suppose that I should be happy as I love watching our starters play (including Chauncey) but for me the Pistons are about championships.

15. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I think we are going to give C B a huge contract. Bill D. built the palace with his own money. He also was the first owner to buy his team their own plane. He was really angry with L B at the end because of his disloyalty. Perhaps he was angry with Ben when he refused to re enter that game. Bill D. is not a cheapskate like everyone says. And remember who called Joe D. and hired him. I believe both Davison and Dumars know what they are doing. We don't have an idiot like Dolan as an owner so we are not going to overpay a 32 year old center 60mil. the final offer was 52.6mil which was more than fair. Quit Hatin on Joe and Bill.

16. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

He is a great player. He get respect from folks all across the league. But, he seemed to play better with somebody in his ear, not letting him settle. He has to be smarter. I would like him to play for the Championship and not for the All Star status.

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

^

Agree 100%

18. FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH

FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH First Round Draft Pick

This is sooooo stupid. You guys are talking about him as if he already made up his mind and asked for a damn 20mil contract. I believe in him. And this talk about him and MVP has got to stop. He never said (I don't think) that he was the best player on the team. All I heard was that he was the catalyst. With that being said he is. I think he deserves a big contract. It's not fair for you guys to assume the worst when he hasn't really said anything. Give him some credit. He's not cocky or ego driven. I hope he stays and take a pretty low sum of money just to shut u guys up and have egg on your faces. Nuff said

19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Like I said in another thread we will only apreciate what we have here until it is gone. Chauncey is a top Point Gaurd in the NBa, and he is probably the 2nd best PG in Pistons history. Hell Yeah We Should Keep Him.

20. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think we should keep him too, but I just don't see the org spending the money, and I don't see Bup-Bup staying for far less than market value.