Show Ben Gordon Some Love Dang IT!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jul 18, 2009.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm excited for Bengo. I think he does make Rip a bit redundant, but... you take what you can get when you can get it. This team has alot of promise over the next several years.
  2. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

It's all because of Rip's stupid contract.
  3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

If Rip is gone, then I'm psyched for the new look Pistons and BG. But, with Rip here, it will be the same old story. Crawl-tempo offense (where everyone stands around waiting for Rip to run around for 20 seconds), chirping at the refs, pouting about playing time. It WILL blow up in Joe's face.

I fully give Joe a pass for taking a chance on Iverson. How was he to know that Rip couldn't co-exist with another high-volume SG? Totally understandable, and worth the risk. But to pull the same thing out AGAIN (with a 5 year/58M commitment at that!) is completely indefensible.

What's going to happen here is that these guys aren't going to play nice. There will be chemistry issues AGAIN. Then Joe will be forced to try to move Rip. At that point, Rip value will be diminished to a point beyond repair, and we'll be stuck taking on a bad contract just to move him. Not only that, the damage will be done to the chemistry of our young core.

He must be traded before training camp starts.
  4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Good point!!! Who is on the floor when the game is on the line? RIP or Ben?? If RIP sits most of the time does he start to pout? Do we go with a three guard rotation with CV at center and Tay are Power Forward? That has disaster written all over it.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Don't blame me--I have been shouting out for Joe to bring him aboard well before it happened. People will see how good his game is.
  6. G-man

G-man Starter

Amen..it's always darkest before the dawn..
  7. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Great post. I didn't notice how great his contract looks when compared to players of his status. In the playoffs last year he hit alot of big shots for Chicago, while playing injured as well.

If Stuckey improves his game, in particular his PG skills, then this team will be deadly. I hope the chemistry is there because on paper Gordan, RIP, and Stuckey is sick.
  8. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I'll second that thought.
  9. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

As long as Rip is still here, I feel he doesn't fill a need. But it all depends on Mr. Dumars.
  10. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm worried about this as well. That would be a worse case scenario but one that could easily happen. I too feel that until Rip is traded I will be slightly on edge.

After we lost CB we became a weak outside shooting team. It was our worst season in terms on 3pt shooting since the Larry Brown era. We all know LB's style accounted for this, considering our strong numbers in the Flip era with the same team. Last year we had neither the offensive outside shooting numbers of the Flip teams nor the defense prowess of the LB teams. No identity - no strengths.

Reclaiming some success from beyond the arc will make defenses respect the deep ball and not clog the paint. Hopefully helping someone like Stuckey who thrives on penetration and taking it to the basket produce a break out season. I'm excited to see how Stuckey and Gordon play together.

(Season/3P%/3PM)
    08-09 - .349 - 377
    07-08 - .458 - 487
    06-07 - .344 - 449
    05-06 - .384 - 557
    04-05 - .345 - 363
    03-04 - .344 - 333
    02-03 - .358 - 533
    01-02 - .376 - 567
    00-01 - .350 - 389
    99-00 - .359 - 439
    98-99 - .365 - 248

IN: Gordon (.410 - 173), Villanueva (.345 - 89)
    OUT: Wallace (.354 - 113), Afflalo (.402 - 43), Herrmann (.342 - 41), Iverson (.286 - 26)

Villanueva should be able to match Sheed's numbers with starters minutes. At least half of Afflalo and Hermann's numbers would have come in garbage time and AI's departure obviously won't hurt out 3pt shooting.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Perfectly stated. I'm going to try to lay low on these BG debates b/c one i think he's a good player, the problems are essentially w/ the whole not neccesarily the parts (not counting his defense) and two I aged 10 years during the "Iverson" and in the end i could have just kept my mouth shut and waited for AI to show his true colors himself.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

:) :pound: :) :pound: :) :pound:
  13. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hmm, sure you fix your weaknesses if you already have the other pieces in place - but we don't. We aren't really trying to plug in a big man and become contenders. Yourself and Ralphie (among others) are still thinking in terms of winning a 'ship now, when the reality is Joe is not.

The way we should be thinking about this is we are now rebuilding (no longer re-tooling) - that means we need 4 or 5 new pieces - no longer just 1 or 2. It's not like a fantasy roster where you start with nothing and insert the players. Rebuilds are going to take 2-3 years at least so there's not much point designing your team around those players who likely won't be here or part of the plan (such as Rip).

So if you're going to target the best FA's available with no regard to the current players on the roster who aren't part of the future plan, then there is going to be some overlap.

Unless of course you believe that Rip and Tay ARE going to be part of the future, then these moves will not make sense to you.

The logical decision says to pick up the future pieces who also fit into the current team first, but sometimes it's not going to be possible for many reasons - lack of FA talent at that position, guys asking for too much money (Lee, Millsap), guys aren't who Joe thinks can get it done, etc.

That's just how it is right now and we have to accept our window of opportunity is over for a few years.
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Agree. Agree. Agree.
    And regarding the window of opportunity - Joe is doing his darnest to open another one.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't think Joe has any intentions of them not being part of it.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Why would you say that? Because Joe hasn't yet traded either one only halfway through the first rebuilding offseason?

I'm certain that Prince won't be brought back once his current contract runs out in 2011 (and he may be traded before then) and Hamilton will be traded (possibly by the trading deadline next year), but also for less value unfortunately.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would have said the same thing about Billups on October 30th 2008.
  18. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

You know what? Rip HAS TO BE gone. Why the hell would Gordon be so happy to come off the bench? Sounds like some more fabricated Pistons.com fluff... his whole deal in Chicago was not wanting to come off the bench. And with Rip still on the team, he'd get much less time at the 2 then he did in Chicago. Watch, he'll want the rest of his minutes at the point. That will not end well and I don't have to see it to know it won't work. We'll then Chucker 1 at the point, and Chucker 2/Malcontentlockerroompoison at the two. Charlie Villanueva will not get the appropriate amount of touches while those guys are on the floor, and a guy like CV shouldn't EVER be frozen out of the offense.

It doesn't make any sense. Now I think that Joe is hiding something from us.

This team has me not wanting to go to sleep.
  19. Stun

Stun First Round Draft Pick

It's hard to people to realize how good Ben Gordan is.I know a lot of people think we overpaid,but come on,if you want a really really good player like Roy,Wade...You need to pay not 10mln a year,but 18-20mln.Yes he's a one side player,but a great one side player.He will be our next Jerry Stackhouse or CB.
  20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

You just drafted Sam Bowie with that rationale.

Good job!

PS- Don't bother with the BG isn't Mike stuff.

Mike wasn't Mike when he was drafted. That's why he slipped to #3.

If available talent at a needed position is crap then you get best available. According to Rick Barry a players prime is 28-32 (and this was before the league got younger). Lets secure the shooting guard position for the future while we can, before our current #2 hits his downward swing.