Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by linwood, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm gonna wait for (hopefully) another pf.com league, seeing as how i came in 2nd last year, even though we all know i was the real champion ;) (warning!! bitter alert!! bitter alert!!) i ran out of time to do the weekly writeups last year, not sure if this year will be any different.

aaaand after the usual summer hiatus, i'm back to visiting these forums regularly again. just got season tickets in the mail and i'm ready to get back into pistons mode.

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure that once the Sprockets start falling on each other I've got one of the last spots wrapped up. Last year that happened twice, one of my players fell on another knocking both out for extended periods.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think it would be great if you played this year. Despite your strong showing last year, I'm sure we can find room for you in the Novice League. I can change the number of teams to 10, so it looks like we will need one more player!

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Folks, I am sure MotownPride will be assembling an Advanced League soon, and veterans and experts will certainly have a league to play in.

5. max

max All-Star

Its been 2 years, give the Advanced a shot?

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    This is my first try. Should I stick with Novice league?:sssh:

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm going to try novice league again. With all the stuff going on, I won't have a whollotta time to micro manage my roster like Darth. Instead, I will focus on gathering a vast array of walking wounded and talk much smack to everyone else. I'm good at that.
    Besides, this is the only game in town.

8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It sure is, since I don't see a Sign up for Advanced League thread anywhere. :stirthepot:

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

I am considering restricting the Novice League to those who have never played, or those who finished in the bottom half of Novice League last year. (Or both years, for that matter)

If you are a great fantasy player, go hang with the Pros in the Advanced League. It will start soon, I'm sure.

I'm also considering limiting the number of moves you can make with your roster. I'm not sure the number, but I'm thinking about 20. This would give you 1 player a week to cover multiple injuries. This would be more like a real basketball team. You only see the Anthony Goldwires and Ronald Duprees of the league when a team is suffering from injury.

This number wouldn't include trades. I think the trades are the best part of the game, and really increase the interaction of the owners. Unlimited trades. And the trade deadline may be moved back as well.

Let me know if you have any opinions on these options, and like the real commisioner, I will pretend to give them due consideration. :MusicBigGrin:

10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Hmmm. Well Linwood I could see why you might want to do that. At least the part of limiting the league to less experienced or less successful Novice experience.

It seems that we may need an Intermediate League in that case. Or else play in Advanced or a non pf.com League.

I'm not crazy about limiting the moves. I think half the fun of fantasy is trolling for that guy who can give you the stats you need to round out that week. Thank you J.R. Smith for the treys. Thank you Brevin Knight for the assists coming back from injury. Thank you...yes I'm going to say it...Kwame Brown for the offensive rebounds and the shooting percentage at a critical juncture. LOL.

You're the commish. Just let me know whether I'm in or out. The Advanced League probables scare the hell out of me, but I could give it a whirl I guess. :):) I bought my new pack of eight colored highlighters and I've got butcher block paper on the walls and I'm starting my draft research this weekend.

11. linwood

linwood All-Star

8 highlighters? Butcherblock paper on the walls for charts and stats? Draft research 22 days before the draft? Girl, you belong in the advanced league!:pound:

As far as the number of moves you can make: I'm not sure how limited I want it to be, but I am going to set some limits. Your strategy of trolling the lists every hour is a winning one, but I believe it may be too advanced for the Novice League. Down here in the JV I think it's more about trash talking and horse trading as you learn how to play the game. That being said, if you are allowed 20 or 30 moves outside of trades, you could always save them up for the end of the season push, or use them to get out of the gates early. Or you could just hone your trading skills.

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

You seen those movies where they try to catch a serial killer and they have all that stuff on the walls...yeah, she's like that.

I wouldn't mind getting at least 1 bench spot. Gives you a little flexibilty and some cushion when a guy gets hurt...which for me means 4 slots...but I'll take one. or 3:sssh:

You see how you need 2 C's? I'm going to corner the market on C's grabbing 5 out of the top 15 making everyone else play Adonal Foyle and Brendan Haywood. BWHAHAHAHHA. ok maybe not

13. linwood

linwood All-Star

I was thinking about 2 or 3 bench players that you could carry at all times, and then a limit of 20 or 30 moves from the free agent pool during the season. This would allow you to get that one 3 point shooter, but limit your ability to field a different team each week to beat the categories.

Any thoughts?

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Man, that is so true about our Kimmee.

Problem is, she can't see the forest for the trees.

Not only that, but after she does all that painstaking research, she inevitably passes up the best player for the scrub guy that she thinks has the cutest butt! :pound::love:

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

As far as tie breakers go, cutest butt is as good as any other. :thumb: It's how I usually win competitions! ;)

16. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

HELLLLLLOOOOO? You can't see their butts in those huge shorts they wear nowadays. I wish! However, Tater does have a point. Tyson Chandler is on my draft list for "Sleeper Hot Guys." I want to win, but it's also got to be "fun to watch.":)

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Butt...I'm a true novice to fantasy leagues. ;)

Now knowing aurora is already bloodying her butcher paper, I'm getting sorta freaked out. :help2: As I understand, I can enlist a co-GM. Anyone interested in joining my Switch the Flip team? PM me

I can't find the fantasy rules that I saw when I first signed up on yahoo...which is freaking me out even more. :eek: Anyone got a link?

18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Det,

I'll be happy to explain the rules to you and give you some pointers if you want to join a league. Give me a phone call. I'm going out to dinner in a couple hours and then taking the kids to a haunted corn field (wonder if my mother in-law will jump out at me?:messer::fear:).

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Detteam, if you're waiting for the rules and some pointers from Darth, I hope you're willing to wait until a week after the draft is completed...

20. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound::pound::pound::pound:
    :cheerlie-GOAL::p_welldone::lol::thumb::thumb[1]::good: