SI's Dwyer: Pistons fit NBA's worst stereotypes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Pistonchickforever

Pistonchickforever First Round Draft Pick

Originally Posted by LanierFan [​IMG]
    It was "truly needed" against the Bulls too, and it didn't happen.

Waiting until it was "truly needed" against the Cavs last year sucked the life out of the team's playoff chances.

Bottom line, the other guys in the NBA are pretty good too. You don't always get

I can agree with that logic, but basketball reality is such where unfortunately not every game is picture perfect for the players and fans, not every quarter has you running on a 5-15 point lead. There will be games where we have to make a 4th quarter comeback and will. We'll obviously have those Bulls and Cavs games where we can't quite make it happen at the end. Sucks, I know. Gonna have those losess, oh well. When it looks to be a real trend with these guys, I'll worry. But I'm ok with a 52-55 game season, rather than a worn out 64 win squad, peaking too early.
  2. Play On Players

Play On Players First Round Draft Pick

I wish I didn't have classes today so I could respond to this when it was first posted and the action was still hot.

When such blogs as Dywer's are written and such threads as this are created, I am reminded that I truly am an amateur fan. When Detroit came back from 10 down in the 4th and won by 6 over the Heat last Sunday, I was ecstatic. Instead of taking the Pistons (seemingly) last minute heroics as a bad "stereotype," I saw the stint as a reminder of the talent this team possesses and the things it's capable of. If it only takes the Pistons 2 minutes to exert their will on a team with a dominant force like the Shaq, then just think what they can do with the other 46 when Miami has both its stuperstars back in the lineup! (According to Dywer's math, Detroit will only need 4 minutes to singe the Heat!)

Sometimes (thought not as often as say, last season) Detroit will blow opponents out of the water early in the game, building a large lead over the first 3 quarters, and then coast to victory behind the play of the reserves in the 4th. And when such games occur I hear many people, both Pistons fans and non-Pistons fans, say the game was "boring." And then you here people (like this Dwyer guy) take a perfectly competitive and entertaining game, one that came down to the final minutes, and point out the things it lacked rather than what it possessed. I just hope to God there are no individuals who criticize Detroit's blowouts as well as games like the one that took place Sunday. And if there are, they ain't gravy with me! (haha:) )
  3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Excerpts from today's Detroit News:

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

They were just resting up for the second half surge. Geez Louise. :MusicBigGrin:
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nice post, my friend. The old Carlisle Pistons always won the game in the last few minutes. They played this crushing style of defense, and had a very deep bench, which simply wore other teams out. about halfway through the 4th quarter, Rick would insert the fresh starters, who would methodically work for the lead and the victory. I really like those kind of games. I enjoy the every-posession-counts, NBA-ugly, defensive games. Allthough this is much different than the current phone-it-in-until-3 minutes-left-in-the-4th-quarter games they have been playing recently, they both take you through the emotional rollercoaster during the course of the game. I guess I am an amateur fan as well, because I enjoy the drama.

I think it is harder for some of the more professional posters around here to endure that kind of game, because it often leads to broken furniture, increased blood pressure, and flirtations with "the Dark Side"
  6. max

max All-Star

I think that guys gives the Pistons too much credit. That was a Heat team who have been winning a lot of games lately. Not having Wade is a step down but it also opens up a lot more shot opportunities for everyone else who at one time were considered as pretty good players themselfs.

Slow starts have always been a problem. Its not something that materialized under Flip. I would rather have a team like this than one of those were no lead is ever safe.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You guys are making it sound like we are losing the 1st quarters with our "slow starts."

The stats show that we are:

+.5 in the 1st
    +.4 in the 2nd
    +1.9 in the 3rd
    +2.0 in the 4th

So, the way I see it, we get off to nice starts, continue the momentum through halftime, and then come out blazing in the 2nd half.

Where is the problem? We are trying to avoid burnout this year, right?
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

TaShawn...my thinking is that you can avoid burnout by coming out strong in the first half and then getting a chance to rest your starters in the second. With so many come from behind victories I'm not sure that's the ideal way to rest your team.

Of course last night Tayshaun mentioned over and over how frustrated he was with the first half holes this team gets into. Chauncey was very vocal about it too. It is a concern. The team is talking openly about it.
  9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Professional posters also remember that the Carlisle teams had no choice given an offense starting Ben Wallace, Michael Curry and Cliff Robinson. But let that go, and return to your fundamental point: You enjoyed a team that played hard all game long. Which is exactly where the discussion started.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Fast starts with easy victories would make these guys over confident. Right now they have some doubt in their minds about how good they are. They are getting mad. Flip is just letting this pot simmer until the Playoffs start.

My dream is that he will then unleash the Goon Squad and all hell will break loose, but it will probably just be regular old domination until the Finals.

San Antonio is really starting to scare me though. At this point, I'd rather play Dallas. The way that the Pistons start games slow is the way that the Spurs have gone through the season. Look at their point spread after the All-Star break.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree that the Carlisle Pistons ha dno choice but to play hard given their talent. Does this team?

Last year after their early (for the Pistons) exit from the playoffs, Chauncey stated that he had tired legs from trying too hard during the regular season. Could this team be saving themselves for the playoffs?
  12. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Indeed dwyer does make a good point, no real Pistons fan can deny that their lack of intensity and habit of always digging themselves a hole to climb out of is troublesome. However with or without d. wade I have come to realize the heat are still a tough team. With their new commitment to running the offense through a rested shaq they are still a problem for any team in the association. Therefore I'm not mad because we didn't route them out the building as most would have liked, but just disturbed a bit by how we had to win...

All the stereotype crap can be tossed out of the window as well for me too, I mean is he trying to insenuate that all good teams in the NBA slack off too often and in other sports they don't?!? I mean even mj's bulls back in the 90's didn't go full boar during the season, but everybody knew who the favorite was. Bottomline I like everyone else despise the inconsistency and slacking of our Pistons, but it's not some league wide problem and understand that alleged contenders don't lay it all on the line until the playoffs. The Pistons aren't the only team holding back a little bit folks, all the contenders and even some sleepers are... Don't be surprised if wade comes back for the post season moving/functioning as if nothing ever happened to his shoulder... Wade, Riley and the heat are infamous for their drama queen acts & charades!!!