Skiles calls Pistons offer to Ben "unbelievably generous"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by CloudWalker, May 12, 2007.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Courtesy of Free Press:

Ben stoic about loss

IMHO, this could be taken as a backhanded comment. If the Pistons offer was "unbelievably generous", what was the Bulls offer in his mind? Overpaid? Insane?

I'm sure emotions are running high in the Chicago camp right now, but Skiles might want to think about next year and watch what he says in frustration right now.
  2. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Totally unfair as to how Ben is being attacked, both openly and subtly, from all corners. He has become the convenient hometown pinata. Skiles should shut has yap, support his players and figure out the "ZONE" that he insists has had zero effect on his teams play.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I don't think that Skiles wants to alienate Joe D. for a number of reasons.

:hoops:
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

We could always attack Darko!

Oh, we have already done that, but Skiles hasn't.

LOL

:hoops:
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

From headbandgate, to the locker room music, to the latest about Ben showing up a little late, Chicago doesn't seem to have the right personalities in place to take advantage of signing Ben.

They are always going to be the baby bulls if they are treated like babies. They will never develop a backbone if the coach is always front and center, then when things go bad he tosses them under the bus.

If Skiles had half a clue, he would be trying to increase the value of Ben's leadership instead of undermining it. It's like buying an expensive painting and then hanging it, face towards the wall.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Skiles needs to lighten up so the Bulls don't tighten up.

He could wear a headband on the bench...Ben could break out them big red goggles and they could have some fun. Really game 3 was theirs if they didn't get so tight in the third quarter.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think with Skiles most recent comments he's comming to grips with the mismatches... he used to blame officiating (what's the total foul discrepancy now?)... all he can say now is "we don't match up well"... "they can do whatever they want".
    As for the Pistons generous offer, I think it shows that the Pistons were serious about bringing Ben back... it wasn't about an insulting offer to force him out of the D... personally I think not signing Ben for this boat anchor salary was the single smartest move this past season (subject to change with trading for Samba Mamba).
  8. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

It sounds as if Skiles is taking a "better him than me approach." It sounds as if Skiles is trying to throw Ben under the bus, before the Chicago media throws Skiles under the bus. Typical finger pointing.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think if the statement is taken in context, Skiles is trying to get the focus and pressure off of Ben. He's merely saying that Ben doesn't have any reason to harbor ill feelings toward Detroit so focus on the series and not on the Ben vs. Pistons angle.
  10. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I'm mentally drained today so maybe I should refrain from posting this, but I didn't see anything wrong with what Skiles was saying. I came away with the feeling that he was defending Ben. ?????????????????????????
  11. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Skiles is a piece of garbarge. He makes sarcastic statements all the time; the bulls will never win with him in charge. bank on that
  12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

sounds like a malcontent just doing what he does.
    maybe ben isn't a leader.
  13. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I get it now. I still am not convinced he meant it quite that way though. Man I would hate to be in the public eye. I say stupid things all the time.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

EXACTLY. Thanks for actually reading the article.
  15. roscoe36

Seriously, what fun is that?
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Next to my Hong Kong Phoey, that avatar of yours has to be the best avatar of the year.
  17. roscoe36

The Low lost a bet and he had to wear it for awhile.

I love it. It's one of my top 3 avs. Right up there with my Unko Debunkalogo.
  18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I'm not convinced either, but in this world of "perception is reality" the only thing that matters is how Ben perceives that comment IMO.

Skiles may have been "protecting Ben", however, he still made a statement that runs contrary to Bens reactions to Joes offer.

* Also...entire articles don't make their way to the players...snippets do. *

As all of us have witnessed firsthand, it's kind of difficult to change a persons perception about something once it has been made. :)
  19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

IMO, Skiles better watch his mouth and coach. Ben just came to the Bulls, is being paid very well and obviously is the cornerstone (at least for a couple of years) of that team.

Scotty, you would leave before Mr. Wallace. I agree with what Cloudwalker said, it`s all about how Ben perceives Skiles comments. I for one believe the relationship between the two of them are not that good at all. It probably went downhill during the "headband gate" incident.

Who knows, maybe Skiles is trying to talk his way into a firing. Maybe not this year, perhaps next year will be his final chance and Ben will have a say in the matter I am sure.
  20. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Read the article again, the comment about the money leaves room for interpretation. Don't see why it had to be even brought up, even if the Pistons offer was "unbelievably generous". I am sure Ben wants to the get the best of his old team, any ex-player does.