Slam Online ranks Detroit Pistons' forward Tayshaun Prince number 45 of it's top 50

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Sep 7, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Re: Slam Online ranks Detroit Pistons' forward Tayshaun Prince number 45 of it's top

Tay getting some love! :)
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: Slam Online ranks Detroit Pistons' forward Tayshaun Prince number 45 of it's top

Coming off a gold metal that's the least they can do.
  4. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

i read this as 45 out of 50 forwards in the league. I am a ****.
  5. max

max All-Star

Good thing we did not trade him.

Figure there is 150 starters on all teams. Probably what about 100 valid starters? So 45 is not much better than average.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My computer must have hiccupped when I posted here yesterday. Oh well...

Based on the total Sprocket Points ranking for last year, Tay is the 63rd best player in the league.

Other players mentioned...

- Ellis 30th
    - Smith 18th
    - Martin 105th
    - Camby 4th
    - Durant NA

Any ranking that doesn't see Camby or Smith as far more productive players than Prince seems pretty suspect to me.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When you are talking average, you don't need to exclude the invalid starters. Those guys need to be kept in there for perspective. Also, I would include the non-starters as well.

#45 would mean that on average, each team would have 1.5 players better than him on their entire roster. That means Tay is 90th percentile according to them.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

He'd be about the second best player on any team league wide. Is he 3rd best here ?
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I like Tay alot but I'm not sure I agree that he'd be the 2nd best guy on most teams. - Especially playoff teams.

Lets take a look from the top down and see if each team has 2 dudes that we'd pick in front of Prince:
    Celts: Yes - K.G., Pierce
    Lakers.: Yes - Kobe, Pau
    Spurs: Yes - Timmy, Parker (Manu)
    Hornets: Yes - CP3, West(?)
    Magic: No - D-Howard, (I'll take Tay over Turkeyglue & maybe Lewis)
    Jazz: Yes - Boozer, Williams
    Cavs: Nah - "the"Bron, (maybe if Ben or Big Z were younger)
    Nuggets: Hmmm, yes? - Mello (even though I HATE Him), A.I.?, Kleiza?
    Hawks: Yes - Smith, Johnson
    Mavs: ummmm, Yes? - Dirk, Howard?, Kidd?
    Suns: Yes - Nash, Amare
    Raps: Hmmm, no? - Bosh, Calderon?
    Rockets: Yes - T-Mac (even though I HATE Him), Yao
    Wiz: Yes - Arenas, Butler
    76ers: No - Elton Brand?, not Iggy

That's just '08 playoff teams. I'm sure the list gets more convoluted as the scrub teams are added to the mix. I think Tay is an outstanding complimentary player and probably better than his numbers indicate.

...but he ain't the "2nd best player on most teams".
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you name one guy who is better and another who is maybe better, then that is a good example of how he fits in, b/c that means that there are 1.5 better players on that team better than him.

CP3, West (?) is a perfect example.

And when you combine the bottom 15 teams in the league, he'll probably be the 2nd best player the majority of the time, which averages out with all of the examples you listed where he is the 3rd or 4th best.

It all makes sense.
  11. max

max All-Star

Whatever way you want to look at it. My only issue with Prince is how he has been folding in the ECF for the past 3 years. If he stops doing that then I would have no problem with him.
  12. BallDon'tLie

I'm not sure about that. A lot of the bottom feeder teams have rookies and young players with upside that is hard to quantify. For example: Would you rather have Greg Oden or Tayshaun Prince? Another factor might be position. Is an "average" Center more valuable than a "pretty good" Small Forward?

I think that Tay would/could be the #2 guy on "many" teams but not "most" teams.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In order to get the average though, you have to factor in that he might be the best player on several other teams: SEA, SAC, NYK, MIN, MEM, LAC, IND, etc.

I think you are doing more of a median analysis.
  14. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

Tayshaun definitely has more Gold Medals than many NBA forwards. But by that comparison, Micheal Phelps would be the best basketball player on the planet. With Dan Jansen playing the role of Scottie Pippen.
  15. MrKent

MrKent First Round Draft Pick

Tayshaun's a very good player, but I question whether he can physically handle being the best player on any team.

Grant Hill comes to mind. Grant was clearly our best player and #1 option, but he never seemed to have that "edge" late in the season and during the playoffs. Maybe he was physically tired; maybe it was mental.

On the Knicks, for example, Tayshaun would probably score more, but his defense wouldn't be as consistent. He'd also likely "hit the wall" sooner in the season or more often during the season.

On the team formerly known as the Sonics, Tayshaun might be much better defensively than Durant, but would that make him truly the best player on that team?
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    You made your point but if you take out the 4 teams he's better on, then you only have 11 teams thus 19 teams he might be 2sd best, thus yes !
    Most teams
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wait, is this supposed to be a trick question?

Oden:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tayshaun:
    [​IMG]

C'mon Greg - prove me wrong! I dare you!
  18. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

#45 out of 50 sucks in my eyes. Tayshaun should be rated higher than that. I mean his numbers might not be eye popping but he is the X-Factor of our team and he causes crazy mix matches for other teams due to his length and basketball IQ. I feel that Slam is too stuck on the "glamorized" part of basketball and not on true, raw, and great talent!
  19. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i think you have to take into account the fact that tay plays for the pistons. on other teams he would get more shots and probably won't have to check the other teams best player everynight. tayshaun also probably would be more consistent if he was getting a regular amount of shots every night. the pistons offense wasn't exactly setup for the small forward to score. i think tay is underrated in fact because he's one of the only defensive stopper type guys that can also score from everywhere on the court and even run a little point guard if you need him to. pretty much whatever you need on your team you can ask tay to do it and he will do it well. we just have to give him some rest this year.
  20. BallDon'tLie

A great "glue guy".
    Maybe the most "valuable" Piston player on the current roster (excluding Trent Plaisted).

...but I still cant get with the idea that he's the 2nd best dude on "most" teams.