Slam Online ranks Detroit Pistons' forward Tayshaun Prince number 45 of it's top 50

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Re: Slam Online ranks Detroit Pistons' forward Tayshaun Prince number 45 of it's top

If you feel that way you're crazy. If he looks like he is dimishing away is because he's the most consisent in the playoffs and has more minutes than any other Piston and he is dead tired. Don't you think if you had to play 30+ minutes every night for three years you wouldn't be tired?? I understand that's his job but goodness couldn't he get some back-up at least.......:sssh: <-----just stay like that lol
  2. MrKent

MrKent First Round Draft Pick

Re: Slam Online ranks Detroit Pistons' forward Tayshaun Prince number 45 of it's top

Sorry, but Max has a very legit concern.

There are too many players who play more minutes than Tayshaun ... players who are the 1st or 2nd option on their team. So, they're playing big minutes, facing max pressure every night and they still play big in the playoffs.

Granted, not everyone makes it to 6 straight conference finals ... the number of games is also a legit factor. But, remember, Tayshaun slipped in the draft because teams were concerned about his strength/stamina. A lot of those teams might want to have him now, but that doesn't mean they were wrong for being concerned.
  3. Pistons Lover

I understand where you are coming from but Tayshaun has already made that point. They be concerned how they want but how many games has he missed??? He hasn't been injured, seriously, to be out any amount of time. Rip calls himself the most in shape basketball player but has missed more games than Tay. I understand where you and max is coming from but Tay has already stood proof. What you said about those teams not making it to 6 straight conference finals....MADE MY POINT!!!!
  4. max

max All-Star

Prince ranked 72nd in the league in MPG at 32.9. In the post season he was 19th at 39.5.

The data does not seem to suggest that he is getting burnt out during the season but his post-season mins can be reduced. Still, there are a lot of guys playing more.

To me he seems to take for granted that his team will always advance in the post-season. You get that feeling from his and other Piston post-game inteviews that there will always be next year.

Other NBA players do not share this viewpoint and appreciate how rare the opportunity is to get so close to the Finals. I think thats why our guys have clearly been the less competitive team out of the final 4 the past couple of years.

Things like this I don't know if you can throw it all on the coach to change. Especially lacking a positive motivational team leader like Ben Wallace was.
  5. MrKent

Are you sure about that? Remember Joe D's words about Tayshaun last year ... something about "inconsistent"?
  6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yes. some players played more than tay but they probably weren't playing those minutes having to defend the other teams top wing player every night. that means no plays off on defense in general and getting ran through 1 or 2 picks every play that will wear you down.

i wouldn't consider ben a motivational leader since he quit on the team. refusing to go in the game isn't exactly a leader. i think it's more that the 04 team was full of hungry vets. the teams since then have only had one hungry vet and that's mcdyess and he usually brings it. it's just his game has declined so him bringing it isn't enough to get us to the finals.
  7. MrKent

Not trying to pick a fight, but I get a little frustrated with the "Tay guards the top player" thing ...

If you name the "top wing players" on every team, you'll probably find that they're not all that. Joe spoke about Tayshaun's inconsistent play because he was expected to be effective against the "average" wing player and he wasn't (not consistently anyway). And on defense, the Pistons usually switch out so that Tayshaun doesn't have to run through screens.

As for Ben ... he deserves some criticism for not being an effective leader. But, for Ben, the Orlando fiasco was also Ben's protest against Flip's 5 on 4 offense that allowed the guards, namely CB and Rip, to slack off on defense so they could run back up the court to score. Do you remember the next game (on Sunday after Orlando fiasco)? The guards went out of their way to get Ben involved in the offense early.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It jumped out at me how Rip & CB stayed back to rebound under LB watching replays of games 6 & 7 of the '05 Finals recently. They look like different players. It is amazing how much more active Chauncey was on D back then. In G7 he dove on the floor, chased down long rebounds and deflected passes. That might be the last time he's done any of that.
  9. max

max All-Star

Its unfortunate that we judge Ben's 6 years here on what he did during his last 2 months.

On Prince. I think this year has to be the year of no excuses. No excuses will be accepted. Thats the only way this group has a shot of getting to the Finals.
  10. Pistons Lover

Joe better not even turn his mouth to say those words about Tayshaun and besides he's not. Go back and watch those games from 07-08 season and see how many times Jarvis Hayes was inconsistent and tell me why Tayshaun looked so darn tired in the playoffs
  11. MrKent

Joe already talked about Tayshaun's inconsistent play during the '08 regular season. Joe was quoted in the Free Press right after we got blown out by the Knicks ... right after Tayshaun had a string of sub-par games against nobodies. Are you telling me that you aren't aware of it?

And I won't bother blaming Jarvis Hayes and Carlos Delfino for Tayshaun's getting tired every year. The '06 ECF memories of Tayshaun getting muscled AND taken off the dribble by Antoine Walker (of all people) are all the explanation I need.
  12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

that's coaching. everybody knows tay has trouble with stronger players that go to the hole instead of mostly jump shot type players. delfino always defended those types of players better. but he wasn't allowed to play enough to get the respect of the refs.if a guy is a penetrator then tay shouldn't be checking them.

jefferson, lebron, magette, pierce give tay trouble.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What NBA player would you say is the best at defending those 4 players?
  14. Pistons Lover

WOW!!! No one or Joe can fix their mouths to even speak about that Knicks game and try to point the finger at one guy especially Tayshaun. Sheed was throwing up all types of junk from the three point line. Chauncey just needed to sit down and re-think his decision making. Rip wasn't even running off screens the right way. That game made the Pistons looking like they were in elementary school. Were you aware of that??

How could you not blame Jarvis Hayes and Carlos Delfino for Tayshaun getting tired?? Carlos wanted to leave Detroit so bad just so that he can play like a real pro for Toronto and Jarvis Hayes was in a shooting slump for almost 35 darn games!! When he finally found his rhythm, he lost it the next three games! And the '06 ECF was a f**king joke! Every time Tayshaun guarded Antoine Walker he was whistled for a foul or the ref let Antoine knock him over. He wasn't getting out muscled by that old a** man he was just getting cheated. The refs along with the rest of the da** NBA wanted Shaq and D-Wade to win a championship before Kobe won another one. DUH!!!
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Easy, Walter Herrrrrrman.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Come on, obviously, I meant besides Fabio.
  17. MrKent

I think Tayshaun was supposed to be that guy ... or at least Joe thought that Tayshaun would develop into that guy ... tall, long, versatile ... a player who could match up defensively and score a few points along the way.
  18. MrKent

Uh, yeah, right ...

There is an actual Free Press article where Joe was quoted discussing Tayshaun's inconsistent play. I mentioned the Knicks game to give you a reference point to find the article. Why don't you check it out?
  19. MrKent

The article occurred in late January 2008. Maybe even February 1st or 2nd.

Title: Joe Dumars: On why Tayshaun hasn't been his best, why he didn't sign Chris Webber

By the way, Joe stated the following for NBA.com right before the '08 ECF: "Dumars: I think there are several factors that are weighing in Tayshaun’s and the team’s favor. One is, no one got worn down during the regular season. Two is, for the first time I can remember in a long time, we’ve taken care of business. We have the benefit of rest heading into the next round ... "

In other words, Da Nile ain't just a river in Egypt ...
  20. Pistons Lover

That's just a bail out to point the finger at someone...I don't really care and besides in the NBA everyone can have a bad game or two even everyone beloved Kobe, LeBron, and Carmelo...we have seen many games with Carmelo just sucked!!