Slappy Time...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

After reading the sports rags today and reading posts here and "other places". I feel we have been inundated with Pistons Slappies.

Just my view, but it seems to me that to start this season we have heard nothing but "good" news from the beat writers and I have seen more of my share of fans who believe this years version will be unstoppable.

Now don't think I don't want this team to win, however, how can there be NOTHING WRONG with anything at any point? There are no "buts" coming from the news. No "buts' coming from the players. No "buts' coming from the fans. This has to be the most uphoric season to date that I have ever seen. It's unreal.

Does anyone but me think something is a little off when Darko's 7 pt performance is written about as if it was 20 and 10 in the NBA Finals? Am I the only one that thinks all this "filtered" reporting coming from the team and mass smilies from the fans a bit much?

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

For your info almost every sportswriter doesn't think we'll win. A lot of people have been worried that this team will be worse. After yesterdays game it looks like this team actually might turnout better. As for Darko why is everyone happy? Because he actually played well, and got some real minutes after sitting on the bench for 2 years. Those 7 points could of won us the trophy last year, and it will be a major contribution this year he also had 4 blocks. Yes there are always things wrong, but you make it sound like everything is wrong.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Low,

That's hilarious you posted this. I was just driving back from the corner store, listening to the Tayshaun interview at the gas station and thought the exact same thing.

It's like standard interview fodder to ask every Piston about Darko. I swear, since the Open Practice broadcast, I've heard his name mentioned 30? 40 times? Blaha must have said 'Darko" 15 times in his 1 hour segment. At least 15 times.

Don't get me wrong either. I want the kid to do well. No one is happier than me that he seems to be really bringing it on the defensive end and not just passing and or taking jumpers but c'mon, DMC hasn't actually made a big impact yet. JMax gets so little pub it's crazy and when they talk about him, they say he is special already.

The media are fickle though. By mid-season if the Stones hit a 3 or 4 game skid, they will be all over the team like a pack of wolves. I read articles strictly for analysis and quotes. If I want an opinion, I'll go form my own.

Btw, that gas station promo thing they are doing tonight. Apparently Sheed was supposed to show up soon. It's miserable and rainy out, starting to get dark. Does anyone really think that Sheed wants to go pump gas right now? I don't. They really are trying hard to market a squad that already sells out it's building. Can ticket price increases be far behind?

Anyway, I'm no slappy. I like that we won yesterday, but it's the preseason and this squad needs to be measured against the Spurs. I'll wait until that December game before getting too far ahead of myself.

On the homer side, I do like how deep we are and the early reports on Playstation and Evans.

4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

...from cities other than Detroit. It's like black and white. Outside of the D = Pistons are garbage. Inside the D = Pistons are gold. For once I would like some honest evaluation and not talking points that sound like they came from Dumars himself.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i want to see J Max bully around Bogut tommorrow against Milwaukee. Even though it's preseason you guys have to like the signs our bench is showing.
    Oh and low honestly I think this team will turn out better, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a fan or because of yesterdays win because flip isn't forcing players to change their entire game like lb.

6. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

what did you expect?

it's only been 1 preseason game. if we lost last night, Darko looked like trash, and Chicago scored 110 points, i'm sure we would have seen the beginnings of "the sky is falling!!"

7. roscoe36

Great point.

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Good thing we didn't, that would be just horrible considering the circumstances. What score do you guys predict against milwaukee?
    Me: 89-81 Detroit wins.

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Score prediction? This team looked like crap against Chicago and they won't do any better against Milwaukee. As far as I'm concerned we ought to throw the whole season in the crapper. Dyess will probably hurt his knee again, then we lost our Shaq stopper Elden, Flip won't get us out of the first round if we're lucky enough to make the playoffs with this bunch. Rip's not wearing his mask so He'll probably break his nose and never be able to play again. Crap.

10. roscoe36

ROTFLMAO

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

your kidding. Right?

12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

flip saw things that were wrong.

he said we got dogged on the boards and that's what they are going to work on in practice. as long as flip sees problems then we are ok. don't worry about what the media is saying.

i sense a little darko jealousy from you low. can the guy have a little sunshine after 2 years of clouds.

13. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Darko

darko's getting plenty of sunshine shot up his arse from the media types. He still had more fouls than blocked shots last night, 5 to 4.

14. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Man we got a hard bunch in here.Well I don't think we will do to bad it's still the 1st game of pre-season down but it's also not the middle of the season so there really isn't a gauge to go by.

One pre-season game down doesn't lose us the title and make this a %%%%ty team nor does it make us champs.As far as our beat writers they will jump on it and ride Darko's jock because the underdog did something in somewhat meaningful minutes.Otherwise they are in last place on any info the Antarctic Daily Post beats them to the scoop.

I'm rididng the fence for now as much as I want this to be an unstoppable year for us and breakout year for Darko both could fall apart.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I don't have any problem whatsoever with the enthusiasm and high expectations. Are some people going overboard? IMO, Yeah. But so what?

Look at Darko, for instance. For two years many of us wondered if he would be the worst #2 of all time. Now he is showing signs that he is going to make it. Why not be excited? Are some people going overboard? IMO, yeah. But so what?

We argued all summer over Larry, Flip, Darko, Spree, rankings, etc. Mostly out of boredom and partially out of anxiety. We are all huge Pistons fans here. It's the preseason. Everyone has a clean record. Hell, even Lions fans are optimistic before the season starts! Is it too early to predict a championship? IMO, yeah, of course. But so what?

When people (announcers, columnists, posters, whoever)...when they go Blaha-ish with optimism who cares? IMO, It's fun to hear that stuff. Personally, I just shrug my shoulders and don't pay much attention to it. People are just caught up in the moment. There will be bumps ahead...we all know that. Yeah, sometimes you just have to pull in the reins a bit. But so what?

So far things look pretty good.We've heard encouraging stuff. Why not? We have a great team. We've also heard concerns (Arroyo hanging onto the ball to long, Prince too relaxed, etc.)

Hey, we've had all summer to worry. Let's enjoy this moment. Yeah the preseason is relatively meaningless in most regards, but it does give us a glimpse of some of the things we wondered/worried about all summer.

If anyone deserves to enjoy the positive signs other than people in the Pistons organization itself it is you guys in here. Some of the most knowledgable & loyal diehards in the country! We have an entire season to play. Lots of bad stuff is gonna happen. It always does. Hopefully the Pistons can overcome it as they have the last two seasons. We can't stop it by worrying about it. So enjoy!

It's really a nice balance to the media outside of Detroit who generally have nothing really good to say about the Pistons.

So far everything is peachy keen & fine and dandy. That could change overnight with an injury or something else. So enjoy the preseason. If you guys want to stress you've got the Tigers and Lions right next door.

That's just me though.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!:pop2:

16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I guess it's more reasonable to assume that a team which is returning intact and healthy after four consecutive 50-win seasons is somehow doomed because their coach left.

Oh ... I'm sorry, did I say that out loud? :doh:

Yes, the Darko stuff gets cloying fast when it comes from talking heads who couldn't be bothered to do one story on the Pistons all summer. But the buildup happens in most other NBA cities this time of year, without as many good reasons. Teams gotta sell tickets, fans gotta get geeked about their teams. It's exhibition season for them too.

17. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Sounds like the LBHOF is getting a little lonely. Hey, the Pistons are happy, the players are happy, the coach is happy, the management is happy. When is the last time that happened?

Darwin and DC arent on the roster taking up valuble PT; Arroyo, DMC, and CD will get legitimate chances to earn PT; the starters arent going to be run into the ground; and the rooks are going to be developed. Not only the players, but the press is starting to believe that this team will be BETTER w/o LB.

I guarantee that this team will dominate the league this year w/o any distractions. It may be boring to talk about, but I'll take slappy time over the crap that happened last year.

18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Reading into things as usual

Nobody brought up Brown until you did. Who is more obsessed? You or LBHOF?:confused:

19. roscoe36

You missed that he called Darvin, DARWIN. I nearly fell out of my chair! :laugh:

Darwin Ham. Basketball genius!

@16, no hard feelings bud. We'll chalk it up to a Freudian Slip. Cats outta the bag, we all know you think Darvin is clever! :D

20. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

good point, Flip did mention a few negatives in interviews.