Slappy Time...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Oct 12, 2005.

1. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Jeez

C'mon guys, yes there is room for both pessimism and optimism here.

Can't fault the media for bringing in some news, even if its all been good, especially about Darko, since people really want to hear about him and anything he produces on the court is a good thing. Even fouls.

And we're at the point in every season where everybody feels good about their chances. Heck, I'm betting that even the Raptors or Hornets feel they will have a better season this year.

Yes, it might be all too good to be true, but enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm hoping it'll last all the way to the NBA championship. :nod:
  2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

are you a slappie if you do approve of the changes the pistons have made?? the attack was warranted because it was a response to the original attack on happy fans. low does strike me as a bandwagoner because when we are in the finals i'll bet his tune changes. he won't give flip credit though he'll say anybody could win with this team or something like that. he has until the preseason is over to jump on or forever be labeled as a bandwagoner. you are either with the pistons or you aren't.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Ignorance is bliss.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, but the Low's role here doesn't exclude his (or any of our) comments from scrutiny. He put it out there, and I know he is a big enough man to live with his statements.

The Low is all about the Pistons. I don't think he is a Flip hater either. I think he and I agree that Flip's gotta get it done in the playoffs before we mess ourselves over keywords like "zone", "offense", "Darko".

People got a right to be excited, as well as a right to be skeptical. Don't think for a minute The Low didn't know what response his post would generate. ;)
  5. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

thanx for having my back

thanx bball jay. I just call it like I see it
  6. Abe Froemen

wow

so I guess its happy/slappy/excited/ignorant/Kool-aid drinking sheep!!!

ok so now pistons fans are ignorant this could get ugly

part of the forum is information part is bs and right now the bs is getting pretty high
  7. Pwn Toney

Please sir, check the facts. There was ALREADY a thread titled "5 Things you liked in Preseason opener "

So, now I'm the criminal cause I didn't just shut up and follow the group? Whatever.
  8. Abe Froemen

low getting lower

so start a thread called 5 Things I Did Not Like About the Preseason Opener not slappytime.

I never called you a criminal btw I did however point out you quite possibly could be a bandwagoner. Do you see the difference?
  9. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Looking at the half empty cup

What's wrong with having good expectations from your team?:confused: I do believe this team is one of the best in the league, because:

1. Have the best starting 5 in the league. Some people might argue that SA or Miami have the best team but I disagree. From CB to Ben our initial 5 can outplay the best 5 of any other team.

2. Our team have an adecuate substitute for every position. Not all the teams out there can substitute Sheed with Dice, Tay with Delfino/Evans, Rip with Delfino/Evans, Ben with Darko/D.Davis or CB with CA/LH/Acker.

3. This team's offense will look better than the last year. They went to their first pre-season game with only 5 plays completed from the new offensive schemes. When the whole book can be put into practice, I expect the offense to look unstopable.

4. The defensive intensity is still there. 12 blocks in the first preseason game is pretty darn good. BTW, 4 of those came from Darko. (Thats 4 more than what we had from him last season.)

5. No mayor distractions from the coach situation. (See LB soup opera)

Should I keep going? NO. I'll allow somebody else to mention some other possitives about our team. Feel free to say something negative as well.
  10. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Change

I think it's fair to say that what we've read to this point has been positive, perhaps overly so. Even AS Blakely seems to be finding a silver lining in everything (although he has pointed out that he believes our defense will not be as good as last year). But that's also typical of the press around the league-this is the time of year when everyone can be optimistic because nobody's lost a real game yet.

I did not get to see the first preseason game, so I can't really comment at this point on how the Pistons "looked". Based on what I've read, it sounds to me like we'll probably be better offensively (it's difficult to argue that LB did a great job there, as we did still suffer through scoring droughts), less stifling defensively, and deeper (if for no other reason than the fact that we will be utilizing our full roster more than we have in the past).

I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but I personally feel somehow like this is a "new" team, even though the Starting Six will be identical. Because of the introduction of several "new" players (Delfino, Darko, Arroyo, Evans), as well as a new coach and system, I don't feel like I have a good grasp of exactly what to expect (that is, I know what I expect in terms of results, but I don't feel like I know what the process of getting there will be).

I do think this team will have a substantially different look and feel than it has for the past two years. I'm not necessarily afraid of that, though. Re-invention is part of sports just like it's part of life, and I'm not convinced that last year's team (only one year older) was necessarily going to get it done again.

At some point we were going to have to start integrating some of the younger players, and this seems like as good a time as any. I really am not interested in going through another '90's-type drought following a couple of titles.
  11. Pwn Toney

I wrote this on 10-05-2005 @ 11:38 PM in Flip leaps into the Penthouse
    So yeah, I think you have already been proven wrong and everyone from Detnews on into Pistonsforum.com knows better than to think I'm a newcomer, bandwagoner, or hater. I don't really feel I need to defend myself on that front.
  12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

This is ABSOLUTELY how I feel.
  13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Me too, Me too!!:nod:
  14. bball jay

ok. sorry so you have already stated that you aren't with the pistons. you're also a flip hater and darko hater. i didn't say you were a newcomer i remember you from detnews. i do believe you'll change your tune though. you won't pick a side until it's clear they have won. that's a bandwagoner to me.
  15. Pwn Toney

bball jay

...with the Pistons or against them? What is this, the War on Terror?

I really don't care what you think of me. I've been a pistons fan my whole life and trying to convince you otherwise is of no interest to me. I simply started this thread to highlight the difference between wanting your team to win and being a blind homer and thinking they will win no matter what happens.

I jumped all over this team when The Cola was starting #12 and making Prince ride the pine and Chucky Atkins was singlehandedly killing us. Was I any less of a fan then, or did I simply want my team to do what I felt was best for their success. Firing Cola and hiring LB proved my point / philosophy AND got the results I desired (NBA Title). I simply don't feel the best is being applied to our team and I think I have the right to be concerned and/or disappointed.
  16. papaman

papaman Second Round Draft Pick

But Low

after just ONE preseason game, I think that's what riles most posters, knowing that a new system is being implemented and new players being shuttled in and out, to be so critical is way premature; at least that's what caught my eye, let's give it a few games before we start proclaiming that this is the way it's going to be
  17. Pwn Toney

Fine...

:tape2: I'll just come back after the All Star break.
  18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

lol, or at least wait until after tonights preseason game when we will all know for sure what the real deal is! :lie::laugh:;)
  19. bball jay

or how about waiting until we lose a game to complain. if we are winning games with this new terrible method of play why complain. i for one look forward to more fast breaks. we even trapped quite a bit during the game so i'm looking forward to the trap being back. this wasn't about timing it wasn't about us looking bad cause we didn't. it's just about a guy that wants to be critical of flip cause he's not lb.
  20. bball jay

yeah. that's right wouldn't want to be a blind homer. much better to be think they will lose no matter what even though they won the game they played. we've added lots of pieces to this team. 3 more will probably be on display tonight. what did we lose from last year?? lb that's it. this is what it's all about maybe you are a blind lb homer. no one can with except lb.

we will get the desired result with flip. no drama, development of the youngsters, nba title, dynasty, loyalty to the franchise.