SlippyReport: Pistons Draft

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about basketball. I'm just taking stuff from the interwebs and faking it. If you have a problem with my analysis, let me know and I'll add more pictures.

The SlippyReport: Dubious sports writing with lots of pictures to make it more palatable. Entrentched as we are at the number six spot, its time we look at draft options and how they fit with the team. Pay no mind that our position could change redically or that guys will rise and fall as the college season progresses. Anyway, lets get on with it.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    [​IMG]
    When we were stinking up the Palace we could entertain Anthony Davis/ Andre Drummond man fantasies. Well guess what, we give it 100% every game even if the results is 3 quarters worth of basketball and now we've climbed two gigantic spots away from the bottom. Who could be available here? That's right MKG. Swishscout.com has a very good write up here: http://swishscout.com/?page_id=710
    What's to like?
    [​IMG]
    Comparisons to Gerald Wallace. Imagine pairing 'new crash' with super collider. We'll shoot 2x the opponents free throws every night and almost as many as Dwayne Wade! All draft pundits agree that he's got the work ethic, the athleticism and defensive prowress. This screams Detroit basketball to me more than Austin Daye's repetative highlight video. He's also got that attitude to put in the work and win. We need to surround Knight and Monroe with that. Already the influence is being felt. We need more.
    What's not?
    We really need a PF/C to provide interior defense and shot blocking. Wallace is not coming back and while a shell of his old self, he's been making plays on the defensive end. Maxiell has stepped up but is only filler. The team shoots under 40% and has only one 3pt threat. We need shooting ability at the wing and shooting is MKG's chink in the armor so to speak. Still, shooting mechanics are easier to teach than work ethic and all prospects are expected to improve even is some don't.

The bottom line: The pistons are bereft of talent and even an overload of SFs shouldn't deter Dumars from selecting this guy at number 6.
    [​IMG]

Darth Tater likes this.
  2. Slippy

Perry Jones III
    [​IMG]
    What's to like? Unique combination of uber-athleticism, guard skillz and ridiculous upside.

What's not? I watched him play.

The bottom line: Guys like this is how we got Monroe.
    [​IMG]

Darth Tater and BallDon'tLie like this.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's obvious the Pistons are not going to get Davis unless to Monroe and Knight go down with some taynk season ending freak accident or the Pistons luck up some how grab the # 1 pick. So yes we and Joe/his replacement should be looking at the top 8 prospects for a possible pick. I saw MKG help lead the Kentucky comeback tonight vs Miss State with 18 and 10....yep he looked better tonight then any of our forwards....

4. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Nice pics and analysis Slippy. Perry Jones really is so, so talented...makes me sad how he just doesn't put it together with any semblance of consistency. He doesn't seem to want it enough. MKG is a leader, and his defense is superb. If we can't grab a big man, SF is imo the second biggest need - see Tayshaun stinking up the place against the Cavs and Doghouse Daye being in, well, the doghouse.

5. Slippy

Arnett Moultrie
    [​IMG]
    What's to like? Nbadraft.net has us selecting Moultrie at number 6 here: http://nbadraft.net/players/arnett-moultrie. 6' 10" with explosive ability, high motor and a varied skill set. Good rebounder by all accounts. It would be good for us to have someone to throw lobs to besides Maxiell. Moultrie has size and speed. Includes complimentary outside game.
    What's not? The knock on the guy is shot blocking. Monroe isn't going to be swatting shots so somebody has to do it. You kinda expect more from a guy that big but he doesn't show the timing or awareness to get those.
    The Bottom line? We need size and athleticism. Moutlrie fits the bill. I'd keep an eye on him especially if we pick up wins at the end of the season as other teams rest their starters in anticipation of the playoffs.

Darth Tater likes this.
  6. Slippy

Meyers Leonard
    [​IMG]
    Whats to like? This is what happens when you go on a 15 game win streak after the all-star break and end up drafting in the 10-15 range. I know we like to win but people, recognize the fruits of your labors! Leonard's highlight video is sweet. The guy is tall and athletic and has serious springs. He blocks shots and grabs rebounds. Plays an inside game. Paired with Monroe, could contribute to a huge front line. Monroe opens up opportunities for fellow bigs so there isn't huge pressure to develop top tier post game.
    What's not?
    [​IMG]
    That's not an attempt at a ninja mask. Illini fans bitch about his maturity beyond bawling on TV during a blowout loss. I'm all about attitude, maturity and work ethic. I don't think you should sacrifice talent to get it but Darko had a lot of talent.

Bottom line? If we fell to 11th and we got this guy, I'd root for him like I do Daye. I'd also dog him like I do Daye.

Darth Tater likes this.
  7. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Daye 2.0 waiting to happen, definitely. No to Meyers Leonard. I don't care if we have to draft another guard, avoid him. His own coach called him out for being soft. Soft does not = Detroit Basketball. And crying on the bench...:doh:

8. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

MKG could be a big piece. I love his attitude, athleticism, and competitiveness. Obviously, I would like to see him shoot the ball better, but he has everything else that you're looking for. We definitely need a replacement for Tay, because I'm not seeing the mental fortitude needed from Daye. It's sad, because he has so much talent, but I'm just not seeing it.

Perry Jones just floats through games. No thanks.

Moultrie doesn't bring what we need. Plus, he's a Mississippi State guy. That school puts out dumb, lazy, super-athletic players who rarely amount to anything.

It's tough to discount Meyers Leonard's talent, but I'm with you guys. He makes me uneasy.

Thomas Robinson is my third big in this draft right now. He's your prototypical 6'10 PF. I would like to see him block more shots, but he does play above the rim on both ends. I could see him as a 17/8 guy in the league, with 20/10 potential. Runs the floor, can shoot out to 15 feet, great length, athleticism, and hustle. He's kind of like a 6'10 J-Max. If we were stuck at 6 or 7, then I would try and move up for him.

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

My Draft board:
    1. Thomas Robinson
    2. Jared Sullinger
    3. MKG
    4. Jeremy Lamb
    5. Harrison Barnes
    Robinson and Sullinger are HUGE upgrades over Max. MKG, Lamb and Barnes are upgrades over Wilkins (and Daye) but they won't move Tay from the starting lineup next year, but eventually they will.

10. Slippy

I like Thomas Robinson a lot but I think he'll be gone 3rd. MKG will probably be gone too but draft sites had him slipped to 6-7 so I stuck him in there. I haven't checked out the Zellers or the 2 guards.

11. Slippy

12. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Zeller is interesting. His release is low and slow. That's not good. He does have some nice post moves, for a young guy. He also moves well for a 6'11 guy. He's very active. He's a pure 4 right now, who doesn't really intimidate around the rim. He strikes me as a guy who could really improve with another year in school.

13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'll take a guy that thinks a post move is something you see at a strip club as long as he "intimidates around the rim". We need a freaking 6-11 hoop goalie to play next to Greg Monroe. If there's anyone in this draft who is a lock to average 10+ boards and 2+ blocks. THAT's the guy we should be looking at.

Woody likes this.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Yea..........hoop goalie sounds good to me...........

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What's to like?
    [​IMG]

16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think Mason should even introduce the guy as a hoop goalie.

..."at Hoop Goalie, from Old Dominion, number 35, Mike Vantasslehoffen!!!"

coynejeremy and Woody like this.
  17. BillLaimbeer

Perhaps the Pistons Hoop Goalie will redefine the game as we currently know it.

coynejeremy likes this.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He's going to play with a mask and glove?

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Moultrie from Miss St can play. Looked good against a really good Kentucky frontcourt, if he was to adorn a Pistons jersey I would not be mad at all. He and Jonas would make a very solid duo playing alongside GM.

pass99 likes this.
  20. BillLaimbeer

We've had many a Pistons play with a mask. Of course, the NBA has already seen the Glove. I think the goalie stick will be the added dimension that will cause the most stir.