1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

So...how about Darko?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Kidstealth, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

I know I know, just one game.

8pts, 8 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 1 TO, in 19 minutes of work.

If we had him as a backup at PF/C next year, would anyone mind if he was a 10/8 guy?

He is only 24, and I don't view him as washed up like Kwame. He could still salvage his career IMO.

I just remember reading about how Larry Brown basically beat out of him any fun for the game. He couldn't do anything right, and Billups saying how Darko never smiled anymore, and hated basketball because he couldn't do anything right.

I'd be all for him getting a second shot here in Detroit. How sick would that be, Darko gets it together, and we have Stuckey who we used Darko to get.

Just a thought, and frankly Kruester might have the right touch as far as coaching personality to coax the most out of him.

Besides, Brown/Wallace/Wilcox are up. Though hopefully Ben returns, and I believe Wilcox has a player option (not that he will play next year either), there could be a decent amount of PT for him.

(Assuming we also jettison Tay in the summer, via trade.)

Yes, it is very early, but I always had a lot of empathy for Darko's position.

Get him like a 2 year/6 Million deal?

(This is all based on if he continues to have moderate production)

Hey it's slow right now, might as well have some discussion on oddball ideas.

2. Brap

Brap Starter

Talent was never the issue. His heart has always been the issue. He's done nothing but continually prove that he's got no heart for the game.

3. Kidstealth

Disagree on that. His problem is he feels like he is never given a shot. Then he sulks on the bench.

In Orlando he put up 8/5 and thought when he was in Memphis he'd get PT, he didn't, and then the Knicks never put him on the court.

I think if he felt there was a effort to get him on the court he'd be fine.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Darko thread #71

5. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I had exactly the same thouhgts; I have to admit it- I still haven't given up on him despite all his failures in the past. I still think he could be a very good big man, on the Bargnani level. And he could be a 14/8/2 blks guy at least, given the right situation. Too bad, I'd still take hm over Darko any given day.

6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

First game with the squad and doing the things he said he has always wanted to do. check out the assist at the 1:10 mark and the block at 1:42.

Let's see what type of coaching ability that Laimbeer has.

NBA.com - The Game Happens Here

7. Brap

Brap Starter

Heart is heart - and Darko has none. To me, having heart means that when adversity hits, the guy fights through it, and it doesn't mean that when things are going well and people like you that that's the only time you shine.

The NBA is about overcoming adversity.

Darko has had about 1000 chances already, and the one constant with him is that he doesn't meet the challenge.

8. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Darko would never return to Detroit. Haven't you read any of the things he's said about not only the organization, but the city too?

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Remember when we opened? We had a dedicated Darko forum, just for the Darko discussions. Crazy times.

10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

the comments about him being out of shape say it all too.... rusty sure you can get rusty sitting on the bench, but if you want it.... you work and work and work.... the next time somebody talks about his work effort will be the first time i hear about his work effort.

as they say in baseball... million dollar arm, and 10 cent brain.... what i would give for god given talent like that.....

i washed my hands of him the min he was traded and besides the blip on the radar he has shown nothing to say he's worth talking about, get back to me when he puts 3-4 games in a row together.

11. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

I don't think he wants to wear a Pistons uniform ever again and that's fine since I never want to see him wear one either.

Every time I see him I'm reminded that JD picked him over Wade, Melo and Bosh.
    Stay away from Detroit please!

12. Kidstealth

Oh come on, can you fault the guy for being a little upset for having to sit on the bench for 3 years straight after being drafted. Who was he going to knock out of the rotation? Sheed? Ben?

I wish he'd panned out, but I can understand where his mindset came from.

There were some factors other than just him. He never even had as much of a chance as Kwame.

It is what it is though. At the time I was far angrier at "him", where now looking back I have a bit more empathy for him and wish him good luck.

13. Kidstealth

Meh I doubt there is even a 1% chance of it happening, but it would be pretty sweet if he came back and was a stud for us, just to take a bit of the sting away.

I am in no way saying this should/would/could happen, I'm just saying that it would be nice.

Just wishful out of left field thinking is all.

14. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Hard to disagree that the guy just has no heart. His response to this trade says it all: he was angry that he was traded instead of having his contract bought out, because it "complicates his life":

"Milicic, completing his seventh NBA season at just the age of 24, said he was angered by the Knicks' decision to trade him because he has a 7-month-old son and relocating to a new city for seven weeks complicates his life. Kahn [Timberwolves GM] traveled from Washington, D.C., to New York City on Thursday and met with Milicic over a long lunch to assure him about the trade.
    'I try to make the best of it,' he said. 'Working hard to try to get back in shape. We'll see how it works for me, how it works for the team.'"

Also, Darko's new teammate, Kevin Love, is quoted as saying that "he plays hard when he wants to," which is truly a back-handed compliment if I have ever heard one.

Rambis does his part to motivate Milicic | StarTribune.com

15. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

Strong FA class / GM'ing is easy

16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

THANK YOU.

Agreed 100%

17. Delfino Delivers

I didn't see any of this in the article?? It actually says he didn't want to comment.

18. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

19. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I automatically say no, but upon further review of the players we've recently signed or drafted, I'd have to say..............:stirthepot:

20. Delfino Delivers

I think it is only fair that you add this as a highlight as well.

"It's not just somebody else's fault," Milicic said. "It was my fault, too. I can't just talk about other people screwing me up. I try to make the best of it here. See what happens the rest of the season and then decide what I'm going to do."