So...(ugh)...this is our team:

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

For all that has been said here...we still don't officially have Rodney Stuckey as a Piston yet.
    Seems like the Pistons aren't interested in a long term deal for him. Not at 8 mil per season anyways.
    I haven't heard of ANYBODY wanting this guy...except for a Chinese team.
    My guess is that he signs a one-year deal with the Pistons...or signs the 5 million per season contract...
    I believe that JD is holding all the cards with regards to Stuckey...........Nobody else wants him...
    Nobody is even offering an unusually high deal to get the Pistons to spend money to keep him...
    My guess is that nobody wants to take that chance....and be stuck with him.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The new CBA now allows for players in their first 3 years (used to be 2 years) to be sent to the D-League. It also allows for unlimited trips back and forth (before there was a limit) between the NBA and the D-League.

Unfortunately, we still can't send CV, though.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I don't get the "no top tier free agent would want to sign with Detroit" thing. Yes, everybody's preference would be to play for a contender. That would be your Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Heat (no Dallas because they're one-and-done). Thunder (because they have Durant), Knicks and Nets are other interesting destinations for players as well. That's 7 teams, all of them maxed out btw. So, none of them can sign a big-time FA without spilling someone they already have. Celtics were trying to get CP3 at the expense of Rondo & picks. Lakers almost got CP3 while destroying their entire front court. So, there will always be free agents that are available. The younger ones who are yet to have their big pay day (for example Kevin Love) won't settle for a MLE to play with a contender.

Looking at the teams that are not mentioned above, Detroit looks damn good compared to what else is out there. We're the only ones with a recent championship, we have a winning culture here and Pistons have always been a top tier team in the league. This is a good ball club we have here and I don't think we are being fair.

I will agree that no max-contract super star (Howard, James, Wade et al) would play here. But there will be plenty of very good players who would play here.

My point is, in order to attract a good FA, we would need to outbid 7 teams who are severely strained financially. Most of the remaining 22 teams would need to outbid us. We're not as bad a destination as we all think.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We were able to successfully land Ben Gordon and Charlie V. when we weren't a contender, so I agree. If you are going for B talent FA's, they'll follow the money and then just complain about the situation once they are locked in.
  5. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons waive Kareem Rush out of trainning camp. (so I read)

It seems he could steal the starting position from Ben Gordon and Joe Dumars is giving him a full year starting.
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I knew someone was gonna bring up those two.

I never liked CV as a player, even when he was in Milwaukee. Gordon has been a disappointment at best. However, compared to the FAs we signed* while we were a contender, those guys are golden.

I still stand by my statement. LA, Boston, New York and Miami will always attract big name stars. After those spots, Detroit is as good as any destination.

* with the exception of McDyess
  7. BillLaimbeer

8. BillLaimbeer