SOCCER - the other football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by coynejeremy, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

So England vs Germany episode 34. We all know how this usually ends. Let's hope for Englands sake this doesn't reach penalties.

The English team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope" said Jamal aged 6.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

USA should beat Ghana to reach the quarter final. They are the superior team. The defense is what worries me with USA. If they don't allow an early goal, they have a real good chance.

Germany will get past the English. Skillwise they may not be too much better, but collectively they are playing better football. One of two things will happen. Either Germany will get a textbook 2-1 win, or someone will remind Rooney that he is the star player of the English squad and he'll lead the English to an improbably victory. Probably the former.

Thursday, Paraguay should be able to beat New Zealand and win the group. Italy should also get past Slovakia. I think the Danes will surprise everybody by beating Japan and claiming the #2 spot behind the Dutch.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

:pound:On that note, I'm hitting the hay.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Ohhhhhh SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh No you DIDN'T!!!:pound::cold::pound:
  5. raxrets

raxrets Starter

well the reigning champs are out - italy. for newcomers - slovaks - helluva good game.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

SAY WHAT???
  7. Walter

Well, there you go. I don't know anything.
  8. Walter

Man that was a heartbreaking loss to Ghana. Hats of to the African squad though. The goal Gyan scored to open the extra time was one of the best goals, if not the best, of the tournament.

I think Bradley made a mistake by pulling Alticore out in favor of Gomez who was a no-show in the 30 minutes of extra time he was in the game.

At the very end, Howard came in all the way to the Ghana box for a corner kick. There was a frame where Howard tried to header the ball in and the Ghanaian keeper punched it away. That's gotta be a classic shot with two keepers going at it.
  9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Sorry, but the coach just has to go. This team comes unprepared for so many games. You can't keep allowing goals in the 5th minute and expect to win.
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I tend to agree that that phenomenon is on the coach. The team clearly has the ability to do well.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good game. I'm happy that Africa still has a team in the tourney since they are hosting. Great goal no doubt.

The near miss by the US would have been a phenomenal goal as well in regulation, had it not missed wide.
  12. raxrets

raxrets Starter

eng-gbr: now THAT goal but not enough for refs....
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The goal is a goal only if a ref calls it that. Soccer badly needs instant replay.
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

74 straight years in the quarter finals or better for Germany. It's just incredible. It doesn't seem to matter what team they send to the WC, the just keep on winning anyway. That team is as far from a fluke as you can get.
  15. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Germany play like machines,but they are one step away to win Brazil or Argentina. Profesional players german teams,i like it but they lack Messi.
    There is a very famous line that says:
    Football is a sport invented by the english in wich germany always wins...

I hope Spain win Portugal,iberic derby¡¡¡¡,if we win portugal we clear the way to semi-finals until argentina or germany.
  16. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Being born and raise (and still living) in Argentina, Soccer was the first sport I knew and the first I played.

Until I knew what Basketball was/is and what NBA was/is..

Now I don't play soccer anymore, and don't watch it neither. I just don't like it anymore.

Yes, of course sometimes I watch some World Cup matches but I am not an Argentina soccer team fan.. (and it's hard because all my friends and family are..)

I'm a Pistons fan!! :D
  17. Walter

That England-Deutschland game was a wild one. England could've won that game 4-2. Put a smart ref and the game tied 2-2, and then the two shots that bounced off the posts go in and it's a completely different game.

Germany has been impressive, but they also make too many defensive mistakes; very uncharacteristic of typical German teams. They now go up against Argentina who are actually skilled offensively unlike England. That game will be very exciting.

Oezil is an amazing player. Probably the best player on the pitch for the Germans.

There are too many ref errors this world cup. The horrid call disallowing the winning goal for US against Slovenia, the stolen goal from England and the first goal awarded to Argentina which was as clear an offside as it can get. Just terrible.

Tonight's Brazil vs. Chile. If I remember correctly the two top teams from Latin America going at it. It'll probably end up being the most entertaining game of the world cup.
  18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, or if the English goalie could have just stopped the German's 4 goals then England could have won 4-0. And if the Americans had just made that shot that went wide in regulation then we could be in it too because we would have beat Ghana 2-1 prior to the extra period.

We don't need really smart refs or instant replay. What we need is someone to figure out who should really be advancing in this tournament if what almost happened or what should have happened had actually happened.I think the USA would be in the final four at the very least. Or England could have actually been the USA had they won the Revolutionary war like they should have and then they would be in it.:MusicBigGrin:
  19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound:
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    Tate don't be ridiculus, time machines haven't been invented yet. And as soon as they are all that stuff will be fixed by the next day.
    -
    I can't understand why the English can't field a better team. They have dozens of Premier league teams to choose players from. Yet they suck in the same class as the U.S.