SOCCER - the other football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by coynejeremy, Dec 7, 2009.

1. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Even if the goal was given which put the game at 2-2, I still think Germany would win the game. Will England be on the attack mode like they did in the 2nd half when they were down, absolutely not. The game would be similar to the first 30 minutes from the start where Germany created more opportunities. Germany deserves the victory.

The starting 11 of the England team are a bunch of spoiled brats, being paid too much money to play the game at club level where playing the country is not important anymore. The whole team other than Steven Gerard played with no heart. No matter who coaches this team, the result would be the same. Too many prima donnas in the squad.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

No doubt. Germany would've won it for sure. The point I was trying to make is the game wasn't as lopsided as the score would suggest. The Deutsche made too many mistakes. I don't think they stand a chance against Argentina in the QF.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why soccer will never be an American sport...

French parliament hosts hearing about World Cup flop - World Cup- nbcsports.msnbc.com

France...
    French voters are “asking us about it, not about the actual athletic defeat but about the moral defeat,” said Michel Herbillon, vice president of the Parliamentary Commission of Cultural and Educational Affairs, which held the hearing.

England...
    A motion in the House of Commons called for an urgent inquiry to be held into the state of the national game and voiced “great disappointment at England’s pathetic exit.” The motion, signed by two lawmakers, says it firmly believes that “many Premier League players are grossly overpaid and under-perform.”

Italy...
    “By filling up our teams with foreigners, our football players have become useless,” Davide Cavallotto of the Northern League was quoted as saying in Corriere della Sera after Italy’s elimination.
  4. Walter

As bring-em-over-here-so-we-can-yell-at-them-on-TV crowd we have in Washington would do exactly the same thing if soccer was big here.
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They are way too busy "investigating" the BCS and stupid NFL stuff.
  6. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Half time, 1-0 Brazil. Thought that there're no more than 3 active players can score this way like Robinho ! My my my . . . he kick it half a step ahead of the ball while running to-ward the area where the ball was passed kneel high from behind, that's Brazil football yeeeeeeah.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I never knew why we called it Soccer. Apparently, the English came up with it. Very ironic.

"No country has been snootier toward the USA’s use of the term “soccer” than England."

"
    Coupled with their team’s humiliating exit from the World Cup it might be another rude awakening to the Brits that soccer isn’t an American term, it is actually an English one. And it isn’t some modern fad that shows disrespect to the world’s most popular sport, it dates back to the earliest days of the game’s professional history.
    Indeed, until the last few decades, even Englishmen would routinely refer to their favorite pastime as soccer, just as often as they would say football."

It's football to you, soccer to me - International Football - Yahoo! Sports
  8. Walter

The Dutch knock out favorites Brazil. Brazil stopped playing in the second half and the Dutch took advantage. Their second goal was pure art.
  9. brofmfa

My goodness, Brazil out ! It has really been a great game, may be the best of this tournament thus far. Both team played hard, the team who made more mistake out nothing more nothing less. So, the ball is a round object is true.
  10. brofmfa

Can we say it was an air relay ?
  11. Walter

Biggest drama of the WorldCup sees Uruguay advance!

It doesn't get any more dramatic than this. 122nd minute, end of overtime, Ghana takes shot on goal, their forward stops the ball at the goal line, Ghana kicks it again, this time he saves it with two hands like a keeper. He gets a red card and Ghana is awarded the penalty. Gyan, one of the most talented strikers in the tournament, comes and kicks the ball off the post into the stands. The game ends like that. Suarez, the guy who got the red card turns into an instant hero.

During the penalty shots, the Uruguayan keeper saves two penalties from a morally depleted Ghana. Uruguay, once one of the top soccer nations in the world, advances to the semi-final for the first time since 1970.

The dream may end there as they'll face a strong Dutch team without their top striker.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was a ridiculous play. Can't believe it was designed.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    dba, remember the good ole days when your futbol came up gutless you just shot them...re. Saddam.
    -
    You do not embarrass the county in front of the world !
    -
    That's what Ghana gets for beating us.
  14. brofmfa

Ghana, RSA and CIV are African teams I loved most in this tournament. Talent-wise, all six teams from Africa are good enough to be there to compete but these three had played exceptional disciplined and highly organized football which were awesome. To watch them play for their national team moved me a lot than play for their European club. Go Africa.
  15. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

German strike first¡¡¡¡¡¡ 4-0 Argentina defense missing in action...coach missing in action and messi exhausted.
    Where were the argentinian creative players?

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9061/file23.jpg

90 minutes of suffering against Paraguay. I hppe spain win and make history,go for the first time in its histoy to semifinals.
  16. brofmfa

4-0 Germany! No way to expect such a massacre in beforehand. The German played stunning simple but sharp and effective that torn the rival's defence like bean curd. Impressed that this new German team is no more pure blond and blue eyes, hey, their injured captain is handsome as h*ll.
  17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, Die Nationalmannschaft is a word which just oozes clutch. Haven't missed a quarter final in 74 years and never lost a penalty shoot out. A fun thing is to compare the biggest rivals in international soccer (only Brazil/Argentina is close) in that before every tournament all the german press talks about how bad this edition of the national team is and how much they will suck. At the same time the english press talks about how great their edition is and we all know how it ends. :MusicBigGrin:
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    A little reverse psychology ah ?
    WoW what happened to Argentina?
  19. Walter

Go URUGUAY!

I want another upset!
  20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I would like to see: