1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

SOCCER - the other football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by coynejeremy, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

I can't see the Dutch losing to Uruguay after eliminating Brazil, they are clearly the better side. Uruguay dodged a bullet on that penalty missed by Ghana.

Germany - Spain, that's a coin toss, I hope Spain wins though, to do that they must step up their game, something I know they can do.

2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Poo-poo for you, Dummkopf!

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I wish Spain beats Germany too, but I doubt anybody can stop the Germans. They are a great tournament team and they can smell the cup already.

4. coynejeremy

5. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

We must make a step forward in ofensive game,using wings players like Silva and Pedro. Spanish coach is old real madrid coach,less ofensive minded than luis aragones. If germany shot first spain will have a lot of problems.They are better physically than spain but our midfield has a lot of quality.
    Villa and Klose are the killers,i trust than Villa has a successfull day facing goalkeeper and Klose not...

6. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

Yes, Pedro looked great for how little playing time he got against Paraguay. I also liked Fabregas's play, I really think he should start.
    You mention Silva, but it seams like he is not one of Del Bosque's favorites.
    His biggest decision is if he starts Torres again, I wouldn't.

7. CarlosGallan

Torres is spanish version of patrick kluivert,has more experience than LLorente, i think Del bosque knows Torres is in a bad moment but he make the goal in eurocopa final against germans,he has body to figth against german defenders, Del Bosque will die with Torres...but in second half he use llorente with full energy to open field for Villa,Iniesta and Fabregas(he also appears in second half in del bosque rotation).

If germany goal first,they surely win, in iker Casillas we believe.
    Tomorrow i´ll see the game with friends,and one german friend,we must defeat germans because it´s the first time we could go to final,i think is an extra motivation for spanish team,we must make history.

8. Walter

I'll tell you this CG: if Spain is victorious tomorrow, they'll lift the trophy.

9. discotom

discotom First Round Draft Pick

whoever wins tomorrow (German/Spain) will lift the trophy. Netherlands are good/great, but they are are beatable by an inspired team. Spain haven't looked motivated, but if they win tomorrow, it means they found their focus.

German has been surprisingly fun, just really good football in all aspects...and they are the SECOND YOUNGEST WC team! Hard not to enjoy watching them.

the 3rd/4th place game should be fun too.

10. Walter

This means they'll remain a favorite until 2022.

BTW, here's a very interesting read on the German team's success:
    Revealed: The army of German students who masterminded England World Cup defeat - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

11. coynejeremy

That's pretty cool. But do you think that really helps the players very much? I imagine it's kind of like in the NBA. I think I remember reading an NBA coach comment that you can watch all the film and design all the plays you want, but when the ball is live it all comes down to an individual player's talent and instincts.

12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

In soccer, the germans will remain the favourites until the apocalypse. You can pick 11 random people from the streets of Germany and they will still make the quarter finals.

13. Walter

It doesn't always work obviously, as evidenced by Serbia's triumph against the Germans. But, it certainly gives them an edge.

14. Walter

:pound::pound:

15. discotom

discotom First Round Draft Pick

nice move benching Torres but bringing him in with 10 mins to go. Had to make the move to go without him, but great to keep his confidence high by putting him into the game. Great match.

16. coynejeremy

Ach nee..... :(

17. CarlosGallan

We win germans because we play better¡¡¡¡¡¡Rigth move making starter Pedro,we need fast and quality wing players like him.
    We make history¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ Podemos¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
    German coach lacked of ambition,he led the ball to spain,germans run behind the ball most of the game,and our players keep more fresh than germans.
    Next rival Holland.

18. Walter

Congrats CG. Espana was definitely the better team on the field yesterday. They played incredibly smart defense stopping the Germans in the midfield. Klose was so lonely and bored up front that I swear I saw him playing solo-scrabble at one point.

Casillas was great once again.

Puyol's goal was really good. Kudos to Del Bosque and the team for scoring a header out of a corner against a much bigger German defense.

Pedro was good, but he ate the second goal Spain could've had towards the end and promptly was pulled off the field. He was very effective all game, but he definitely deserves the bonehead play of the day award.

Xabi Alonso is my favorite Spanish player. That dude is awesome.

No matter what happens, history will be made on Sunday with one of the sides joining the elite company of WorldCup winners* for the first time ever. I hope it is Spain.

* Brazil (5), Italy (4), Germany (3), Argentina (2), Uruguay (2), England (1), France (1)

19. CarlosGallan

Final game will be great,my favourite spanish player is Xavi Hernandez,Guardiola sucessor is barça midfield.
    Holland must stop spain brainers,Xavi hernadez,Iniesta and xavi alonso(less quality but defensive midfield),if ex barcelona teammate van bommel and other stop conexión betwen this three and our forwards and can keep the ball in oranje side we will have a great game.
    i hope we win,but futbol is futbol like said bujadin voskov.
    My favourite turkish player is Nihat Kahveci,who played in real sociedad and villareal. Reminds me hristo Stoichkov leadership and personality,less ofensive,fast or wing player but very inteligent.

20. coynejeremy