Soccer World Cup - Brazil 2014

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Walter, Jun 2, 2014.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe they don't want the game to take 4 hours to play like most American professional sports.

The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good suggestions. I would also like to see each player equipped with a GPS receiver and a headset so a computer could track their movements and send each player signals as to which direction and speed they should be heading.

roscoe36 likes this.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Anybody interested in playing the World Soccer Pick'em on ESPN? I can set up a group if there's enough interest.

Nemo, S.J. and coynejeremy like this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

Yea, set it up!!

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It would equate to the same time, would it not? The only difference would be that everybody could plan for the ending.

I guess it doesn't really matter though as last second goals are a rarity. The higher the frequency of scoring, the more it matters to know the exact time the game ends.

6. BillLaimbeer

The secrecy of the entire thing makes you question the integrity of the official. The only reason that it is done that way is because "it has always been done that way." Today, it makes no sense whatsoever to keep the stoppage time a big secret.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Have any goals ever been waived off at the end because they occurred a second after time expired?

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tradition is a characteristic of the sport.

9. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly, seconds can mean everything in some sports such as NFL and basketball. Soccer not so much.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I find it interesting that hockey and soccer are different than the other major sports in that the team that is leading can't lose on one score by the other team. Football, baseball, and basketball (even golf) all have that tension when you're rooting for the team in the lead that one quick strike could ruin everything.

roscoe36 likes this.
  11. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

No way!! Belgium is the Dark Horse this year!! They have a increidble team! a defense filled with all-star defenders like Vincent Kompany, Vermaelen, Alderwield, Vertonghen. Fellaini in the middle with Eden Hazzard (a star player in England), Moussa Dembele, and other players like Lukaku, Witsel, Kevin De Bruyne.

You all know I'm argentinian so I root for my country here, but I really want to see Belgium in the final four.

We (Argentina) have an easy group. Maybe the easiest we had in a long long time. Bosnia is the only team that can give us some trouble, Argentina has a great offense but the worst of the defenses. So maybe Dzeko can score on us.
    Despite that, I too see Germany or Brazil winning this world cup. Playing home is a big advantage.

Do the tourney Walter, I'll play.

roscoe36 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I appreciate your insight SJ.
    As someone who has never followed futbol before, you just taught me quite a bit about what to look for in this year's World Cup.

I hope that you and everyone else in the know will continue to share similar commentary.

I'm interested to learn things like which teams are known for offense, defense, passing, ...etc.
    I'm also keen on finding out which players are skilled in particular areas. Stuff like speed, agility, playmaking scoring, endurance, physicality, etc.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Which coaches are the most clueless? Besides our own, I mean.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    roscoe36 likes this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Do they have rotations in soccer?

brofmfa and roscoe36 like this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Not sure if this is a serious question or not, but yes they do. Players are rotated through the squad to avoid getting worn out. However, during a match, a team only has 3 substitutions that they can make, including injuries. So if you have made all 3 subs and a player has to leave the field then you will be one short either until he can come back on or until the end of the match.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The ball seems rounder than in American football, is it?

S.J. likes this.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Makes it easier for the center to snap it.

brofmfa likes this.
  18. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks for that but I don't know thaaaaat much! I know a few things, of course, because it's the main sport in my country and I've played it since I was a child.

In my opinion, Brazil, Germany and Spain have the best defense at the moment. If I have to pick the best balanced team, that might be Germany. This Brazil's team have a great defense but some doubts about his offense. Other than Neymar.
    The thing is, historically speaking, Brazil is more known for their great scorers, such as Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Romario, Pele, Etc. - So in comparission with those beasts from the past, this year they have a lack of the offense that the fans are used to. But with a great defense. They have maybe the best wing backs of the moment in Dani Alves and Marcelo.

Besides Brazil, Germany, Argentina and Spain, other dangerous teams are England and Neatherlands of course. Italy can make some damage too. Although one of their best players in the middle, Montolivo, is out for suffering an impressive leg fracture a few days ago. Portugal is a dangerous team too. But there are concerns about how healthy is Cristiano Ronaldo at the moment.

France suffered a recent injury too. Ribery, one of their best players, is out, so I heard. But even with Ribery healthy I didn't think, personally, that France could go further.
    Cote d'voire is my favourite African team. Yaya Toure is simply amaizing.

I'll tell more with the days!

BallDon'tLie, brofmfa and roscoe36 like this.
  19. Walter

Spain are the defending champions. They also won the last two European championships. If they win this year again, they will make history as no squad has ever won 4 major cups in a row.

Italy and Germany are really good tournament teams, so those sides are always dangerous. It'll be very interesting to see what Uruguay can do. There was a lot of drama with them last cup and were very exciting to watch. Although Suarez isn't really healthy so who knows.

roscoe36 likes this.
  20. Walter

roscoe36 likes this.