Soliciting advice on my fantasy football team

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Hey, is anyone willing and able to give me some advice on my fantasy football team. It's a 12 team league. I lucked out and received first pick Sunday night. The dilemna of course, was Alexander or Johnson when I set my picks. I ignored the Madden curse and went for Alexander. It was an auto pick draft, so I've got a couple of weird guys I plan to dump.

I did things a little different this year. I normally pick running backs with my first 3 picks , but I went for more glamor this year. I'm usually conservative and avoid the druggies and guys who are injured.

QB

Carson Palmer-If the knee holds out he's an awesome weapon but if not I wasted a top choice.

Aaron Brooks -can he possibly throw more Int's than TD passes? Not a pleasant thought at all

Seneca Wallace-Not sure how I got him he's so far down the list but definitely dumping him

RB

Shaun Alexander-Just do what you always do baby

Corey Dillon-hopefully he does decent

Ahman Green-not my favorite but could be a steal where I landed him

Frank Gore-a 49er...that's scary in of itself

WR

Randy Moss-hate him but he was the last pick of the 2nd round and we all know what he can do when he turns on the burners and always exciting to watch

Joey Galloway-should do pretty good in the new Tampa scheme

Terry Glenn-big play guy who has an awesome crossover to lose opponents

Kevin Curtis-I like him...Plays hard and did really well when given the opportunity to fill in last year

J. Klopfenstein-some rookie...not sure how I got this guy either (dumping him)

Kicker

David Akers-did well late in the year after injury

Sebastion Janikowski-dumping him-don't need two kickers

Defense

Chicago-Top rated defense

New England-average defense

Ok, so I'm thinking of picking up Mewelde Moore off waivers and maybe the backup Giant back (B. Jacobs). Any sleepers out there you guys know of that may be available? Any changes I should make? What do you think overall about my team? What do I need? I'm thinking I'm in contention with this squad.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I picked up Gore after our draft. I think he'll be solid this year. The 49er offence should be half decent and they traded the only guy that was going to give Gore a run for PT.

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Hey Darth,

Okay here are some sleepers. For RB's Lundy from the Texans or Morroney from the Patriots.

For WR's Chad Jackson is going to get Brady's attention early since Branch is holding out.

Hopefully these guy's are still available in your league.
    Your team looks pretty solid. Good Luck!!!

PS: Who is your Tight End??

4. Darth Tater

Thanks for responding Winless. I knew you would.

Idon't need a Tight end.

Wali Lundy was drafted so I tried to get Morency, but was beat on waivers.

I picked up a RB named Cobbs who is in a hot battle.

I also picked up T. Henry for my kid.

I got Moore for me, but may not keep him.

I'll check out C. Jackson and Maroney. Thanks for the tips. :thumb:

5. Winless Wonders

Hey Darth,

No problem at all. Travis Henry??? Well you did say for your kid. He is washed up. He took too many direct hits. I don't know how much help he is going to be.

The Steelers just signed RB N. Davenport I would pick him up. Willie Parker can't handle the work load. He will be broken in half by mid-season if they play him like they played him last night.

6. Darth Tater

I dumped some lousy back up kicker to get him. It was a no risk move. Those other guys you mentioned were all drafted. Do you like Davenport over M.Moore...or are you saying take him over Henry?

Batch looked good last night.

7. Winless Wonders

M. Moore is decent if he can stay healthy and will give you points returning kickoffs if your league gives points for return yardage.

I would take N. Davenport over Travis Henry. Travis has one more failed drug test and he is done for a year. Also Travis has Chris Brown ahead of him on the depth chart and lets not forget that nicklehead they drafted Lendale White who will get some playing time also.

So I do not see any value to Travis Henry right now unless Chris Brown goes down. Davenport will no doubt be the number 2 guy behind Willie Parker and probably will get a lot of goal line carries which disgusts me because I have Willie Parker.:rolleyes: Perhaps you can afford to see what Travis Henry does this week. I highly dobt he gets more than 5 carries. Davenport won't provide value until probably week 3 as he needs to get time in to learn the playbook.

8. Darth Tater

My team got CRUSHED last week. Shaun Alexander & Carson Palmer combined for a measley 7 points!!!!! Moss stunk.

So who do I play next week at RB? Frank Gore (had a monster week) or C. Dillon (did ok)? I'm leaning heavily toward Gore. (You were right winless, he looks good).

Do I start Galloway again? He hardly got any looks.

I picked up J, Cotchery on the Jets at WR. Never heard of the guy but he had a good week.

9. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I'm in the same boat. 3 looks and 1 drop. 0 receptions.

10. Darth Tater

Yeah, it's hard to know what to do after one week. If he isn't even targeted it makes you wonder. Maybe it was just a matchup problem?

I may pick up A.Smith or P. Rivers as my backup quarterback and drop A. Brooks. Decisions decisions.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sean Balligian on WDFN 1130 AM is considered a fantasy football guru.

He picked up Alex Smith (and likes Phillip Rivers) and says that Brooks is worthless unless you want a 30 yards backwards pass.

He also recommends not overreacting after week one.

12. Darth Tater

Cool. It's good to hear stuff like that.

I dumped Brooks and picked up Rivers as my backup QB earlier this afternoon. I couldn't decide between Smith and Rivers for myself, so I picked up Smith for my kid who is hurting at QB. He needs a QB more than I do. He has T. Green who suffered a concussion last week and who was a total waste on my squad last year.

I really like my team. Last week...I just can't explain what happened.

Alexander, Moss, Palmer, Galloway...I mean WTF guys??????

I still love fantasy bball the best though. It's every day.

I agree with the don't panic stuff, but I also hate letting a guy sit there on the F.A. list. It's a tough call.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

OT: I really like fantasy baseball. We should form a league next year.

14. Darth Tater

Sign me up, lol.

My other leagues (football, bball, and hockey) will be over by then.

15. jammertime

jammer on football:

I don't see Rivers putting up very big numbers. LT is going to carry that team (which is great by me, since I have LT on my team).

Rivers only threw 11 passes against a crappy Oakland D. Granted he looked solid on the passes he did throw. He might be a solid fantasy contributor by the 2nd half of the season. I'd take Smith over Rivers right now, but if the choice was between Rivers and Brooks, I'd take Rivers.

jammer on baseball:

My team has sucked all season. This is my first year playing and I've learned a lot. If I were to draft all over again, I would have done it completely different.

I just pulled off the STEAL of the year in my league. The guy in first place had Ortiz and he figured he'd be out for most if not all of the rest of the season with his heart issues. He was just going to cut him, but Ortiz was on the "can't cut list".

So I offered him my worst player straight up for Ortiz and he ACCEPTED IT! He immediately dropped my player and 3 days later Ortiz was back in the lineup.

16. Darth Tater

I struggled to make the decision between the two, but they were saying Rivers will be in the redzone so much he'll be tossing some in there. And I finally decided on him because Smith will still make mistakes.

But, yes, you very well may be right. It was a very tough call. I'm not sure I made the right decision.

WTG on Oritz!!!! That other guy must be kicking himself.

17. Darth Tater

I'm THINKING of making the following offer to this other guy:

I give up Corey Dillon and Ahman Green

and I receive Willie Parker and Marion Barber

Barber plays behind J.Jones but if Jones gets injured or doesn't produce then Barber becomes an instant stud. I like Parker a lot.

I've never been a Dillon fan (well Bob Dylan is cool, lol) and Ahman Green looks like he has returned to his old ways of being a really good RB, but he's never been my favorite either.

During the draft they were ranked :

28. Parker

40. Dillon

64. Green

96. Barber

Thoughts?

18. jammertime

Its so hard to tell with Green. When he's healthy, he's an elite back. But that's the problem. He gets injured a lot and his O-Line gets worse and worse every year. Plus, GB will most likely be down in most games, which means that they probably won't be doing to much running in the 2nd half as they play catch up. And with this being Favre's last season (I hope), I think he'll want to go out guns a blazin :gun1:, not handing off.

I'm not a Dillon fan either.

I like Parker - especially in that offense - but I don't know much about Barber.

19. Winless Wonders

Sounds like a good deal Darth. I don't know about Barber though however I am more concerned about Green falling off later in the season once teams start stacking 8 in the box making Favre prove that he can still beat teams. So I say Sell high Darth!! Sell high!! I would do the deal.

20. Darth Tater

This week my team is favored to win by a whopping 17 points and is predicted by Yahoo to outscore every other team in my league. Unfortunately last week they predicted the same and my team was slaughtered and lost by 40 points. OK. That can't happen again...can it? So here is what I have set for the 0-1 Taters.

QB:

Carson Palmer-He should find the endzone a couple of times against the Browns and rack uo some yards in the air. Protect that knee.

(Keeping Phil Rivers on the bench)

RBs:

Shaun Alexander-How in the world did the Lions stop him last week? Two touchdowns and 150 yards this week against a lousy Arizona team that can't stop anyone. According to the experts he is going to run wild.

Frank Gore-I'm sure glad this guy ended up with the Taters. He's supposed to have another big week. The niners have no other weapons.

(Keeping C. Dillon, A. Green, and M. Moore benched).

WRs:

Randy Moss-Once again I may struggle this year. He needs to shut his big mouth and go earn his big salary. They aren't expecting much from him today against the tough Baltimore D, especially with Brooks at the helm. Come on, you gotta score at least once.

Joey Galloway-I have no clue. He went from the favorite target to virtually ignored last week. I'll settle for one touchdown here and a few yards.

Terry Glenn-The big play guy. I'm hoping this guy dazzles the Redskins with his crossover and breaks free for the promised land at least twice. He's capable of having huge games and Bledsoe loves him.

(Keeping K. Kurtis, Randele el, and J. Cotchery on the bench). I'm open for suggestions here.

K:

David Akers- Very consistent leg. I'm really glad I drafted him.

D:

I have by far the best in the league. The Chicago Bears. But...will the Lions mess me up again? This time by SCORING points? Nah...it just can't happen. Can it?

(Benching New England).