Solving the Naz problem

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I don't dislike NazMo. But man, this guy is either hated or disregarded as a bust by the vast majority of fans and sports writers.
    Tiago Splitter would have at least offered some hope that a decently talented replacement would be on the horizon. If nothing else, he could have had mid 1st round value in a future draft if we traded him as such.
    However, we went with Afflalo.

People have Naz being included in all types of trades. However, with today's luxury cap, it seems like his contract is going to be a killer. Who would take him? And who would we get in return? Previous lists made me want to keep the Naz.

I feel like we've painted ourselves in a corner with this guy and will have to stick with him. Would there be any situations where a team would want this guy and his contract?

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Give him to Laimbeer and the Shock. It'll get Laimbeer used to coaching the boys.....................

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

To me it's a matter of selling your product. The Pistons have to produce some type of promotional video featuring Nazr. Get the game films, do some heavy editing, add a little music and send it out to the other teams.

Send it out to the beat writers for the other cities (skip San Antonio) just like Rick Carlisle did when he successfully pimped Corliss for the Sixth Man of the Year Award.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

NazMo for 11th man of the year!

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All the situations I can think of where another team would come looking for Nazr start with desperate. I think you might as well start enjoying the view from the corner.

6. Slippy

desperate as is desperate to unload a cancerous malcontent?

7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or something having to do with an airplane crash or your whole frontline being spotted in an old Chevy van trailing lots of dangerous smelling smoke.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I dunno, in hindsight NazMo was not the worse thing in the world. Whn he gets about 25mpg he gets numbers that are very similiar to Dyess'. Now I'm no fool so I realize that while their numbers are similiar their production is not. But I just have never felt Nazr was a horrible center, I just felt as if he didn't really make this a better team (more so for chemistry reasons, than talent) I think Nazr is a player who could play his way into productivity over time as he gets better acclimated into the system. The only real problem I have with Nazr is that we're paying a $3mill center about $6mill/yr, however it's not Nazr's fault that Joe overreacted when Ben left.

9. max

max All-Star

I gave Nazir a chance and so did the Pistons. Who could have guessed that he would put out an almost zero effort on defense. He was not that bad with SanAntonio.

Remember those early games last season? Nazir would practically step out of the way as the opponents freely dunked on him.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

In those early games the problem was that he wasn't Ben Wallace. For many games we watched WallaceX2 challenge shots at the rim and then NazMo came along and he's just a mere shadow of Ben, but Nazr is Nazr and there are many teams that would gladly take on Nazr as a veteran center, problem is we gave him a BOATLOAD OF MONEY!!!!! Look at the Spurs, they replaced Nazr with Elson who got a 2 year $5.5 mill contract, while we gave Nazr 5 years and $30mill. Again the problem isn't Nazr.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In saying that, then Nazmo is only good to have on the floor when the Pistons have a 20 point lead and can afford give up a couple of uncontested dunks. There weren't that many leads of that magnitude in the second part of the season, so his principle role was to keep Dale Davis out of trouble at the end of the bench.:laugh:

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah and Nazr always had a good attitude about not playing. I think I would sell that as one of his good qualities.

13. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

As long as Nazr sits quietly on the end of the bench and is not a cancer in the locker room, he's nothing but a constant reminder for Joe about long term deals with marginal talent.

If people thought Darko and Fino scared Joe away from Euros, I can only imagine what Nazr has done for his willingness to toss the MLE around to other team's castoffs.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Lord knows I hope that's the case. It's crazy how SanAntonio got a 7' marginal stop-gap center in Elson and they paid him less monet over two years than we'll pay Nazr this year. Man I'd have rather started the season with Dale Davis at C than to be eating Nazr's contract right now. It's as if everything we do wrong the Spurs turn around and do right, which now reminds me of how pissed I am about not picking Splitter, especially since Phx's pick was for sale; we could have gotten Splitter in addition to Afflalo.

15. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Think there's any chance that DD is back next year? I agree that I'd rather have him for another year or two than Nazr.

16. Slippy

You can't wish nazr away no matter how hard you try. Dale will cost at least another mil in precious cap space if we want him back.

17. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

He really was. That's why Pop played him less than a fossil like Horry and made no effort to re-sign him. The only reason Pop played him in the first place is that his rebounding solved a major team problem, but his feet were just as slow and his hands as stiff in Texas.

It was the other elements that made him look better, rather than his own effort. When you have the best defensive coach in the game, a DPOY-calibre center, a DPOY-calibre swingman, and every teammate who gets on the floor is committed to making crisp rotations, it takes some creativity to look like a complete failure.

I'd like to trade him to New York for Jerome James.

18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Good post and I might add, we still don't know the whole story about Naz. He is a devout Muslim and this lead toward some histrionics.

19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

If we are going to settle for Nazi as the center we are risking falling to a second round and out team. Sure he can improve. But right now we are counting on rookies to solve the back up point problem developing out of the ship when we lost James. We still are planning on using an older Hunter. Seems like we are counting on a lot of luck.

If Camby is indeed being shopped, he is one guy that can really help us. I would give up a first round pick even though he is 34. The future is now as our competitors our getting better.

20. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I wouldn't classify being stuck with Naz as the end of the world unless he returns to the starting lineup. If he is the best we can do at present then I look at FlipS to find an offensive & defensive scheme that works with Dice or Max as starting PFs.

Nazr's role with the second unit can be that of a rebounder / triggerman for a transition game which I truely hope we develop with our bench full of young legs. We can assist Naz with quite a bit of defensive height in the 2nd unit. (6'5" guards, 6'9" Dice and 6'11" AJ)