Some basics on basics.

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by pass99, Nov 10, 2010.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Some basics (of need):

• You need a focus mind set. It can and does step up levels according to the situation. Now, it is important to understand that levels are not only vertical, but horizontal. No player will be successful at this level with a standard mode that does not understand the rhythm of certain game situations and how they react toward an internal forward movement. It is also important to expand this integral value toward its' opposite. What I mean by this is that you can be trained to recognize the reactions against your reaction. How does the opponent react toward or in what pattern from your direction? If a Stuckey or a Bynum drive hard toward the hoop, how does everything flow from this reaction? Recognition can be taught (via teaching), but application is understanding the flow of constant tipping points.
    • You need to be an athlete. Flexibility is of utmost importance. This of course should transfer over from the defensive to the offensive side. Foot speed and feet coordination is a must as you dig deeper into the front line. This allows constant and quick adaptation to the situation; especially on defense, since you know not whether your opponent has his habitual flights of fancy. On the latter point, one would hope that some opponent film clips will be to your advantage. I mean, would you be upset upon knowing that you might have to guard someone like Tay? Which leads us to...
    • An intelligent study of the game. Since the average intelligence level (occurring from cognitive understanding at basic commutative thought levels like reading and writing), is at the 8th grade level throughout the U.S., it might not be a great leap of faith (with appropriate coaching, of course) that some osmosis of perception might occur for those young basketball professionals under the age of 25. Since they have had repetitive ability patterns that has been reinforced at least within the last 15 years of their life. This is where psychology come in. Which leads to...
    • Coaching...more on this later.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Some of this was already covered in the Ben Gordon Intense Man Love thread.
  3. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

It was slow at first, like one of those rom-com relationships where both people hate each other but where they realize they're perfect for each other and even though they drive each other nuts they can't live without each other.

I love you, pass. I hate to admit it, but it's true. Your posts are the most vague, pretentious, and pedantic compositions of writing on the entire internet... but I love that about you. You make no sense, and yet everyone here seems to treat your posts as if you do! It's amazingly beautiful and I bow to your prowess! You write as if you're a high schooler trying to write a doctoral thesis and while I can't make heads or tails of what you're saying, I love reading it. It's like listening to Beck (Odelay Beck, not post-scientology Beck) - it's not the message of what's being said, but the words themselves and the lyrical structure of your posts that matters. It may drive others nuts trying to understand you, but I wink knowingly - there isn't actually anything to be learned. It's dadaist art at its finest.

Hell, I don't even know if you know what a basketball actually looks like... but I LOVE that about you. You should read some of Heino's work on the Rottentomatoes.com forum, it's very similar. Keep posting, beautiful!
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You just extended the curse, DO NOT SPEAK ITS' NAME!!!!
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah, ditto LaimbraNe, most of our minds work well in a sequential yet singular event time line. Once we start flaking off in multiple dimensions without a harness, it's too
    easy to fall into a black hole. I.E. ignore mode.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, what he said.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This thread is hilarious.
  8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

There should be a "The pass99 Appreciation Thread". The Mariana Trench is shallow compared to some of his stuff. I love his posts!
  9. pass99

I understand your justifiable frustration...it will pass.

"I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done."
    "Nice going, God!"
    "Nobody but You could have done it, God! I certainly couldn't have."
    "I feel very unimportant compared to You."
    "The only way I can feel the least bit important is to think of all the mud that didn't even get to sit up and look around."

Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
  10. pass99

You too?
  11. pass99

And you too?
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Most days...the writing of Pass go through me like the initial opening of the Pizza box. It's a wonderful experience that cannot be missed. At other times when I'm not ready...It goes through me like a tacos and cider lunch. Actually...that can even be a wonderful experience at times.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Floating by you on the bayou... now I'm talking on a walkie talkie... credit card glued to my hand.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Beck is a genius.
  15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wonderfulness.
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm a Pass fan. I always look for the literary references. They are always dead on accurate and just from that I know he is operating on a higher level. I just assume that when a post doesn't make sense to me it's over my head.
  17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

This is how I reason also.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Guys it's time you pay attention, Pass is female.
    Now does it hurt more?

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

How does that matter?
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Just quit calling her he.