Sour Note : You Got What You Wanted

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Nov 16, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

SOUR NOTE: You Got What You Wanted

Written by The Low on Thursday, November 16, 2006

[floatr]http://www.wrecktangle.net/images/Sour_Note.jpg[/floatr]Well, well, well….Welcome to the new year Pistons fans! After a shortened playoff run, a longer summer break, training camp, and two weeks of the new season, your beloved Pistons are…

3-5
    Crap
    A) That’s what you’re saying
    and
    B) That’s what you’re seeing.

(Continued)
  2. roscoe36

Feel free to post a comment at the end of this Sour Note on HumanVictoryCigar.com, or you can comment here. :)
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

My name is MotownPride and I approve this message.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Correction Low,

We got what we asked for. Not what we wanted. :doh:
  5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I stand corrected. Anyone for a title change?
  6. max

max All-Star

Nice piece. I am being nice, it was nice. Well written as usual.

I agree Brown was the right man for the job but he did not want to be here. If he wanted to be here then we would not have went through all that drama and he would still be here. Entering the 3rd year of his original 5yr deal. But LB is somewhere laughing his arse off on how he turned his Piston 30 mil deal into a 39.5mil windfall in just 3 years ( if my estimations are correct )

Flip may not be the man for the job and I often find myself questioning his moves these days but at least we finally have some decent assistant coaches who hopefully can help right the ship. No cap hits on coaches salaries so he can always be replaced.

We miss Ben. But why from my brief scanning of Bulls forums are so many Bulls fans wondering why their team payed so much for him?
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah Max, I can see them saying "We paid $60M for an energy guy?"
  8. Pwn Toney

In my opinion, this stems from them not having Ben Wallace or any of the other Pistons the way our team was built. Once Skiles figures out how to utilize his scheme to best utilize Wallace's strengths, you'll see more of an impact from Ben.

I've seen from his games that his effort has already rubbed off on his teammates which is something that is noticeably missing from the Pistons this year.
  9. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Well, I am sure they paid all that doe to see him lose his passion as long as his effort(I dn't see it) is rubbing off.
  10. max

max All-Star

I am not going to judge them on their 3-6 start but it would have been better if they were 6-3 ( from them ).

Pistons have been showing a lot more the past 2 games. Starting to get that championship way of closing out 4th quarters back again.
  11. final.wrath

final.wrath Banned - Sent to NBDL

you guys are disgusting. what was the mood of this community in 2004-2005? i realize we were coming off of a championship but we struggled that season too.

but now, well before we were ten games into the season we have this "sith" movement of gloomy, depressed "fans" who seem to deplore everything pistons. i can understand questioning the team with ben wallace gone, but this is going too far. how can you make judgements on the long term performance of a team barely 10 games into their season after they have lost their main defensive and rebounding force? wouldnt you need to see at least half a season if not more to see how players would be able to adjust?

you hold on to memories of an era long gone where the pistons would hold teams to 70 or less points for stretches of a season. it's virtually impossible to play that style in today's nba. handchecking and bumping are called now. so when ben wallace leaves and the last semblance of that era leaves with him, the darths abandon hope.

i really think you'd rather see flip and this offensive style team crash and burn instead of succeed. you may not mean it that way but this hopeless negetivity makes it seem like you aren't even fans. maybe fans of the old LB teams but definately not our current team.
  12. Pwn Toney

We're fans, we're just not slappys who just pony up and grin no matter what poor decisions the team makes.

First, the players were supposed to "adjust" last year during Flip's amazing regular season fool's gold. This year he's supposed to put his "stamp" on the team. I'll pass on that stamp.

Second, if two years is long gone to you, the Bad Boy Era must be pre-historic.

Lastly, thanks for letting me know the Sour Note is doing its job.
  13. final.wrath

final.wrath Banned - Sent to NBDL

you dont have to pony up. just don't count the pistons out because of a 3-5 start.

what do you mean they were supposed to adjust last year? obviously adjusting to the changed dynamic of the team without ben is bigger than whatever adjustments we had to make last year.

how could you possibly judge how the team will adjust in 8 games? or less really... when did you guys all turn darth? had the season even started? so really... you're just as biased as the people hyped by the detroit news. you wrote off the team long before enough of the season was played to judge from.

I think your defeatism is derived from anger over the loss of Ben Wallace.
    Some people dealt with it by discounting how much Ben really did for the team or looking at focusing only on the postive aspects of playing 5 v 5 on offense. Others did as you and the other darths did and said "screw this, the "go to work" gritty defensive team the pistons used to be is gone and the pistons suck now."

And yes the bad-boys era is ancient history. That was the fricken 80's, the rules were much different than today's nba. Teams like that don't exist anymore and you can't bring them back.

Why don't you give us a chance?

and p.s. its not the sour note doing its job. you made your feelings clear long before the season even started, spreading your pessimism and dark vibes...
  14. MotownPride

Are you saying that the downward trend of defense by the team since the bottom 1/3 of last season is coincedental and has nothing to do with Flip's system and deficiences as a coach? I don't think there is any doubt that the Going to Work era is dead. The decision to jetisson the Pistons's old approach to winning for a coach's approach who has not achieved post season success is what doesn't sit well with alot of folks. Personally, I walked into the season hoping that Flip would show me something outstanding since he didn't have Ben to bog down his offensive "play book". I'm left less than impressed as I see a team that is easily average to below average defensively and an offense that does not focus on ball movement. I agree that overblown pessisism can be toxic, but in a forum where the general consensus prior to the season opening was that the Pistons will figure it out because they are well, the Pistons....was needed. Flip's coaching and the player's ability to police themselves has been so overrated that it has been to our detriment. Victories would be nice, but ultimately those fans who are not happy with what they see on the court regardless of what the end record shows....would like to see something on the court that says we are capeable of still being the cream of the crop. I haven't seen anything close to that. I haven't seen anything that can be slightly tuned to suggest this is a possiblity. Perhaps you see differently. If so, please share. Otherwise you are completely ignoring what we've seen from this team since the Cleveland series. A team that is searching for an identity and is desperately scrambling to figure out how to win games.
  15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons where a weak rebounding team last year as well. It's nothing new that they get lose the battle of the boards.
    Once more, teams attacked the rim relentlessly last year as well. Ben wasn't his old self, was late on help D and lost some of his leap. It seems like many have forgotten how the young bigs took him to school last year, making him look like the small guy he is.
    No coach can lead a team with that roster to a title. NO ONE.
    One shouldn't forget that, while many other teams improved their roster, the Pistons weakened their roster on a constant basis. Every team added new, solid or good players while the Pistons failed even to keep the team at the level of 2004. We have seen much talent leaving.
    I don't blame solely the coach- Joe D. deserves far more criticism than he's getting.
  16. MotownPride

Ralphi, I think a point that Low has made many times when the Ben dropoff arguement is made is...

...that Ben did not seem to be himself on defense last year because he was called on to play alot more help defense than in the past. The overall defense of the team took a big step back leaving Ben as the only one challenging shots and rebounding. Our perimeter defense was the worse its been in years.
  17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I get the point, but it's contrary to Ben's performance with the Bulls this far. He hasn't been a good shotblocker with the bulls as well and he's also not consistently grabbing boards. Very similar to last year with the Pistons.
  18. roscoe36

Ralphi, prepare for the Darko-esque excuses for Ben now.
  19. roscoe36

Also your 9:00 post is spectacular. Flip deserves blame, but definitely not all of it.

I do not think another coach will be able to get much more out of this team as it is.
  20. MotownPride

Good point.

Results are results.

I do have hope for a turnaround though.

Oddly enough there appears to be a huge drop off in performance with Ben at home versus away games.

Here are his home numbers:

7.7 pts 2.3 steals 2.0 blocks 13.7 boards

(closer to vintage Ben)

Away he is averaging:

4 pts 1.5 steals 1.3 blocks 7.3 boards

Recent games have shown that he is shaking out of his funk on the road.

Anyway.

There is no mistaking that Ben is not the same player he was pre 2004 championship. He used to dominate games defensively a la AK-47. "Ben" a while since we've seen that level of intensity. One thing that is undeniable though is that are defense was statisically far more superior with his presence. He was argueabley just as active last year as he was in 2005 and that was enough to get us back into the Finals. To say that his impact on this team isn't being felt after seeing how this team has performed in the pre and regular season I think is being naive.

I will however agree that this collection of players needs help. They forged their identity defensively by feeding off of Ben's defensive leadership and intensity. That apparently now has left to Chicago. The team needs to either replace Ben with a similar type player and return to playing "Going to Work" basketball or revamp the roster for a new style of play. Either way, I wouldn't trust Flip being a part of any of it.

As I said before, Joe/Billy D. both need to to be looked at with a critical eye for refusing to spend money, putting their trust into a postseason loser and allowing our youth to walk out of the door. Flip is just the bad cook who has been inserting his secret flavor into a once great dish and now made it undigestible. Shame on the management for hiring such a bad cook and shame on them for allowing him to tamper with the ingredients in the first place. It also doesn't help that they replace great cooking tools/seasonings for cheap alternatives.

I also think that come playoff time, Ben's impact will be greatly underestimated. That would be a mistake for anyone in the Eastern Conference.