Sour Notes: Volume 1 Track 2

Discussion in 'Pistons and Basketball Articles' started by Pwn Toney, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

The Low's
    Sour Notes Volume 1 Track 2

WHISTLE WHILE YOU WORK….

Well, I guess I better get ready to hand over my cash and watch the other team shoot the FT because I’ve just about had it with the NBA and its officiating. Amazing that now opposing coaches can "request" a better chance against the best regular season team so far this year and lo and behold: The Detroit Pistons are now the "crying-est" team in basketball and as we all know…

"There’s no crying in basketball!"

First let’s start with a novel idea. NBA OFFICIALS ARE NOT INFALLIBLE.

My goodness, I sincerely wish David Stern and the rest of the NBA brass would stop pretending that these guys don’t make mistakes. Simply running out the line that "…our officials watch hours and hours of game film." doesn’t make them UN-incompetent.

These referees either A) have an agenda, or B) are stupid/blind.

I cannot believe that on a night in and night out basis more calls are missed or incorrect than in an NBA game. The refs are human and they make mistakes. They are human and they get pissed. They are human and they hold grudges like REAL PEOPLE. This entire facade of the NBA officials being some super-human race of perfect, non-feeling, and objective to a fault beings is neither funny or believable.

Moving on….WHO GETS TO RULE THEMSELVES???

[floatr]http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/1440/t1bavettaall0rq.jpg[/floatr]Are you kidding me? This has to be the best joke since, "…now Michael Jordan steps up to the plate…" How do you have an entire group of guys that get to decided when they’ve done a good job, what they need to do to improve, and how to punish themselves?

Let’s think about this folks. Could you imagine the NBA Players Union deciding how much cash they’ll dole out for fines or letting MC Artest decide how many games he will sit out because he decided to "Keep – It – Real" (Big up to Ali G).

No one and I mean no one gets to govern themselves at work (except the Bush Administration). I really would like to have someone suggest to the Commish that the officials be subject actual independent review as opposed to that 1/2 hour masturbatory session it foists upon us on NBA TV once a week showing us how hard they work watching games.

Hell, I watch more games on tape than NBA officials those guys "…ain’t got nothin’ on me!" (Thanks Denzel). For once I would like to know that a ref other than Dee Katner has made a bad call.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I don’t buy into this solo conspiracy against the Pistons. However, there has got to be something done about the worst officiating in professional sports.

I can turn on NBA League Pass on a night by night basis and constantly see a player getting T’d up, fans ready to toss their $10 beers, and coaches having aneurysms right there on the sideline.

[floatl]http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5946/garretsonnies9ln.jpg[/floatl]You mean to tell me that over 400 players and more than 60 coaches and assistants have NO IDEA what it is they are looking at on the floor?

Only some 60 year olds that manage to run a couple miles a day and a few 35 year old guys who are pissed that they sucked just enough to never get in the League are the only ones qualified to recognize a foul?

I swear, no matter what logo sits on the side of your head when you leave the house or what colors you bleed, you could be brought to near heart attack status by simply watching the NBA Officials do their thing on a nightly basis.

Riddle me this o’ Czars of the VCR:
    Why is it in the rule book if you aren’t going to call it?

Why should there be conditions or explanations for calls?

Why should I have to sit there and listen to Hubie Brown tell me that guy will get that call next year when he’s not a rookie?

Why do I envision a pasty Ronnie Nunn giving me the NY accent as to how their guys follow the rules and the fans/announcers/media heads just don’t understand the "real" rule?

C’mon guys, you have a lot of work to do if you want me to believe that these refs are impartial and do a great job. There may not be some great conspiracy in the sky for who is supposed to win, but these officials are human.

They will call what they feel, not necessarily what they see and the sooner you are all willing to admit that and the sooner David Stern is willing to hold them accountable, the less complaining and "whining" you will hear from NBA players, coaches, and FANS.
  2. max

max All-Star

I enjoyed your article.

The #1 complaint I get from non-NBA fans is a perception that the games are fixed. Or that they cannot understand or think its fair why Dwayne Wade or Kobe gets that call but someone else doesn't.

It also makes it hard to like the SuperStars the league is trying to push when they get all the calls.

Quit honestly it can be insulting at times to know the league thinks fans are so stupid as to not see the difference.
  3. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

The thing about the refs that has always pissed me off is the make-up call. You know the one where a guy gets fouled and then he walks and gets called for a travel, the next time down the floor there is a mystery foul away from the ball and now everything is suppose to be ok? I get that a ref might have missed something but that is why there are 3 of the @*#$ers out there.

The fact that refs don’t want to be upstaged by a player is ridiculous so they give them a T, HELLO we don’t pay money to see Dick Bavetta and Joey Crawford run up and down the court.
    I also hate when the refs totally take control of a game where every 5 seconds they blow the whistle and call a foul. All they are doing is taking the teams best players out of the game the same players fans come out to see.

The NBA is better officiated than the NFL but it is still a long way from perfect.
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

I feel like a total nerd for knowing the names of all the refs, and their tendancies. Dick Brevetta? Please.

:doh:
  5. max

max All-Star

Abe - I know what you mean. Especially when the makeup call is on a different player not even involved in the previous call/non call. Thats what gets me.

What they should do is have a 4th ref up in the stands with an airial view. Sound silly? You can't see through players. Not when you are 5'10" running around with a whistle.
  6. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

lol not when you are 5'10'' and every player on the court is over 6'4''

I like the idea but it would never happen, how would he stop play, where would his airial veiw come from? Strap the dude to a wire and shoot him back and forth down the court? That would be a fun ride for like 5 seconds:puke:
  7. max

max All-Star

Good question. I don't know give the ref in the stands a big blow horn or some electronic device. They have 3 refs on the floor but many calls are still made on what they think happened not what they saw. And the stars always get the benefit.

I mean its not awfull but it can improve. I think they try to do their best.

Bottom line though all games should be called exactly the same and the league should enforce that more. We as fans should not have to sit there and wonder what kind of game we will see "What are they going to be calling this game?".

The true mesure of quality is to have everything the same. Little variance as possible. No players or teams should ever be given special treatment as it just turns fans off in the long run.
  8. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i can't believe games are fixed. and even if they were, detroit and san antonio proved they were still good enough to get to the finals last year. i can't remember anyone not a pistons or spurs fan who wanted to see those 2 teams in the finals.

karma also gave wade an injury for game 7, so it does make you think...

hopefully the pistons will just be good enough to defy the system again.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

...Until the ref don't have absolute domain over a sport, the sport will remain absolutly corrupt. This is why the NFL is a respectable sport. Big plays can be reviewed, the human eye isn't fast enough. And even with reveiw, the camera and the refs. can't get it perfect. It was never meant to be prefect but the effect of nonabsolute control by the refs. gives the game at least the illusion of honesty. Only Hockey comes close with scoring review.
    ...As for bball, I don't know the true ins and outs of reffing. But a couple of reveiw challenges would help the integrity of the game.
  10. G-man

G-man Starter

It's pretty much to the point where the games are played in spite of much of the officiating. But Sheeds situation with the suspensions he's facing really are a concern. Working as hard as they have to maintain the best overall record (hence home court) with the Mav's & Spurs hounding us makes me hope that old Roscoe will hedge just a little here in March.

Nicely done Low..
  11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks to everyone. I appreciate you guys giving my rants an honest read. Cheers!