Sources: Wallace Asked Pistons For Buyout

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lpgrl26, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Isiah Thompson
    Adrian Dantley
    Dennis Rodman
    Grant Hill (Lots of questions raised about his integrity and the whole Orlando sign & trade which surprisingly turned out quite well for us)
    Larry Brown
    Rick Carlisle
    Ben Wallace
    Lindsey Hunter (Although a less crucial part of the team)
    Now Rasheed Wallace

In all of these cases, there was stuff "released" or "quoted by sources" as the "real reason" guy X was being shown the door.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I disagree on Lindsey. Dude had problems with the Feds and I think it was kept very quiet locally. He did some dumb stuff, and probably ruined his chance of joining the front office on retirement. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back here later.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He's going to be the back-up PG next year.

4. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Maybe he had a mental breakdown and said something about getting bought out? I think it's possible.

He's a free agent this summer....would make a fine bench player if he keeps his attitude in line...which is more than likely impossible..He gets to choose his own team this summer....

The best part and what matters about the situation is that his huge contract is coming off the books and we have the cap relief!

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know man...as of right now, he hasn't been charged or called to stand trial on anything.

6. roscoe36

I think he got out of town, and it was a net + for him. He's able to let this stuff fade and age out, then he can come back later.

Wheels within wheels.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It's pretty obvious IMO. Even Ben was like he can't take pleasure in beating the Pistons b/c he knows Sheed/Tay are hurting.

Cosign

:nod:

As for Lindsey, Stuck leaned on him pretty heavily. He was brought into CHI mostly for Rose, and CB always said that he wished he had someone like him earlier in his career.

How much would LH have helped Stuck this year; if at all?

8. max

max All-Star

Prior to 05. 04 does not count since it was a half of season with Sheed. The Pistons prior to Sheed always played better than the talent.

How can you cosign on something when you did not follow the team back then? Or did you? Prior to 04.

9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Don't know if anyone else caught it but PTI ran the cut up clip of a Rasheed post game presser from 2003, him saying "both teams played hard" five times. On top of his ridiculous talent over the years, he's also one of the funniest guys in the NBA :pound:

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I have followed the team for a pretty long time; the 03-04 team was what i really got attached to and they got me interested enough to post online/look for forums, but i've been watching them forever.

I used to love Grant Hill for some odd reason. And split my time mostly between the Knicks/Pistons. For some reason when one sucks, the other doesn't, etc.

11. max

max All-Star

You remember what it was like then. They used to laugh at other teams who played the tired card on back to backs and whatnot.

12. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I can't let this go. I'm an LB fan, but how could we have kept him? All the speculation about his future -- which he did nothing to quell -- was a huge distraction. It's a testament to how good that '05 team was that we came within a quarter of winning the title anyway, but it was obvious to everyone that LB was interested in his next gig because he had already achieved the title he was hired to win.

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

I think there's more to that story than we know.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I remember the team playing hard in prior years, but i don't think this mentality was a result of Sheed and prior to coming over in 04, i thought that team in the first half had effort lapses as well. LB was just able to stay on top of it and correct it when it occurred.

During the RC era, the effort was helter-skelter at times

I don't really think one person was responsible for effort problems or transformed the attitudes on this team. IMO, it was mostly lack of discipline at the coaching position.

Up until recently, Chauncey was blamed for the "switch" mentality.

15. detteam

detteam All-Star

It can also be argued that we didn't have those problems until after Ben left.

16. roscoe36

LB was forced out. I'm not saying he didn't play along or push it, but he was clearly forced out by the Pistons, the owner is on record as having wanted to fire him before they even won the title.

Anyway, they could have fired LB after the Finals. But because the 3 months running up to the Finals were Flip Saunders/NY/Cleveland rumours, I'm somewhat certain it probably cost us 5 points in the Finals and the possibility of being back to back champs.

The Pistons should have kept things very quiet until the offseason, then let Larry go with a big settlement. But they chose to ugly it up early, and that undermined our championship run.

Indeed, I am fairly certain there is.

As the leader, he was responsible for the switch mentality. That's what leaders do. They take responsibility. In Denver, he's taking responsibility in a way he never did in Detroit. And good for him.

But let's not pretend this year's Billups is who we watched the last two seasons, because it clearly was not.

17. max

max All-Star

I disagree on the RC era. The talent was helter skelter not the effort. RC really did not have much to work with.

04 was a beautiful year. 05 was when it all started. "If it ain't rough it ain't right" almost every playoff series going the distance because they let the other team back in.

CB also was part of the problem. He was the team captain. I just don't think he would have had the kind of year he had if he was still here.

18. max

max All-Star

Yes good point but he also never had noticeable issues until Sheed came.

19. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

First let me say. I would treat a lot of the media crap coming out of Cleveland with a grain of salt. I think that they consistently stir the pot when it comes to the pistons. Like Dre said earlier we can take this back to the Larry Brown stories that came from the Cleveland Press, Cavs management who took Fred Mcleod, their attempt to steal Mason and the list goes on and on.

Bunch of busy bodies who are very good at spewing propoganda the old "Tokoyo Rose" trick. If you all remember last year during a Joe D press conference, you can hear Rasheed in the background saying "buy me out Joe", at the time we all thought it was funny. Hence the Cleveland newspaper article.

As far as Rasheed, I respect him as a person, his humanitarian efforts in the city of detroit, and the hard work he put into bringing the Championship trophy back to the D. However, it is apparent that Sheed is getting old, his level of play has seriously declined, and he is only a shell of what he used to be. I think he knows it and that's why he will more than likely retire this year.

We pistons fans tend to hold onto stuff entirely too long, I am just keeping it real, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have Sheed on the payroll next year. Sheed is not completely responsible for the Pistons demise, however, like someone said his volatility was clearly being felt by every player on the pistons team. Rip and Tayshaun should shoulder a big chink of the blame also, because when CB left, they left with him.

20. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I could not have said it better. Joe D wants to rebuild in the mold of a Portland Trailblazer team with young cheap talent. The problem is Joe D. doesn't trade our seasoned talent in exchange for this young cheap talent. We let our seasoned talent walk and get nothing in return. Instead of the Portland model we are going to end up following the Memphis team building model.