Spartan Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Sep 10, 2005.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

And Ringer runs 130 yards for 72 yard gain! :D
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Too bad. I would've preferred an MSU victory this season. Woulda put another nail in Lloyd's coffin.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

But alas, after giving up 21 unanswered points and the offense of UM posting a 1 of 11 on first downs, they come back for a victory. Ground game looked excellent for MSU, but Michigan comes back with 7 minutes left to score 2 tDs and capture their 8th straight victory.:pound:

Lloyds coffin now being sent to East Lansing............
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

What a great game. MSU seems to have the talent to be a highly ranked team but they seem cursed.

Heartbreaker for MSU.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yet another one for MSU. They play just well enough to make you watch...then POW!

Congratulations to U of M.
  6. ggazoo69

His coffin NEEDS to be sent to Ann Arbor, for two: they can put him and that idiot AD in together.
  7. Nemo

I agree with the AD..........He IS an idiot.........:stirthepot:
  8. Nemo

Darth Tater, You're a class guy. I wish I could be as gracious.
  9. basketbills

This could end up being one of Carr's greatest seasons, depending on how they finish.
  10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

what a turnaround when State fans are looking forward to the Lions game for morale boost. :MusicBigGrin:
  11. Nemo

I liked the play where the MSU QB faked a fumble and deftly tossed a touchdown pass.:) nice play. !!!!

I liked it even more when Mallot fumbled late in the game, and Hart ran for an 11 yard gain and a first down.:pound: Michigan luck !!!!
  12. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

For Spartan fans, here's Hondo's take on the game. He bleeds Green, and you'll see it here:

Heartbroken!

By Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.
    November 3, 2007
    East Lansing, MI
    Spartan Stadium
    Heartbroken is the only word that can describe my feelings about today. The Spartan Nation tonight will lay its head down, but won’t sleep very well. We will ponder and think about what could have been, as we all try to get the putrid taste of another loss to our bitter rival out of our mouth.
    This loss hurts; it stings. Sure we have now lost the last six, but this one meant something more. Sure it would have made us bowl eligible. Sure it would have helped erase the pain of the last four years of the Cowboy. This one would have signaled something new, a rebirth, rejuvination and a sign of thing to come. All signs point to this being the last year for Lloyd Carr’s career. I have never been the most proficient person with words, but I have always written with a love for the Spartan Nation and for the first time in my life I am struggling to find words.
    I am not an apologist. In fact, I have been very critical when it is necessary. Anyone remember that I was the first member of the media to say that a change was necessary. There is room to criticize play calling here, but there is more.
    “How long will you bow to the University of Michigan,” was the battle cry of Mark Dantonio to his team all week. It is a great moniker and it is one that we will have to ask for another year. You can point out poor play by our kids and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, I will. You can point to offensive play calling that makes no sense (3rd down plays that don’t go beyond a first down marker) and I will.
    There is a lot more here. Tonight I will ask the Spartan Nation to allow me to write my usual game critique article on Sunday and just let me pour my heart out. I end the news every night with the number of days until the next game. I realize that more than anything else (other than the health and well being of my family) I hunger and yearn to see the MSU football program return to what my father experienced.
    I love this school and it’s athletic teams. I am sick of hearing about the “Glory Years,” and I am hungry to experience it. It is similar to when a child doesn’t eat all their dinner and a parent opines that there are starving children in Africa. I once told my Mother (although empty plates were not a common occurrence) that she could send them what I didn’t eat. I am sick of hearing about what we used to be. I am ready to become the Spartans who dominate.
    I am a supporter of Mark Dantonio. I am a supporter of his staff. Unlike many of you, I have had the privledge of knowing him away from football for many years and I respect him as a person and a coach. I understand that he has to get players that fit his plan and his style. He was given a chance tonight to throw the kids he inherited under the bus when a media member asked him if it really boils down to getting his own players. He blew of the question like a momma bear separated from her cub. He talked about them being his kids. He spoke like a father protecting his own. The question directed Mark’s way was spot on, and Mark has too much class to state to obvious and deflect the blame. It is not his style; it does not breed accountability.
    He has to get his own guys. Sure some of the kids he inherited fit his system, but many do not. MSU has not been blown out this year. They haven’t quit. He is playing with kids that he didn’t recruit and to their credit they haven’t quit on him either.
    Nick Foles is a stud at QB and he wasn’t ready to play when the season started. He has been red-shirted. Sure Mark could selfishly throw away a complete season of eligibility and play him for four games, but that wouldn’t be fair to Nick and Mark won’t use kids for personal benefit or selfish accolades.
    His staff will take some lumps for coaching decisions and their choices and they should. His players will take lumps for plays that they made or didn’t make and they should. I will deal with those tomorrow.
    Tonight I simply say what no one wants to hear, but is so overwhelmingly true, we are rebuilding. This is the staff to do it. It really hurts to lose another , but one thing you can say is that no one is quitting. I promise that my article tomorow will name names and point out things with a lot of detail. Tonight I just have to accept what many of you already feel. I am heartbroken and changing a culture and a program are not done overnight.
    I just need to go home and play with my kids and try to mend my heart. Tomorow I come out guns blazin’, but for now I want to go be a good dad for the night. When they go to bed I will watch the film and write my thoughts with more clarity.
    I hurt with you all tonight. The entire Spartan Nation hurts tonight. This one is going to hurt for a long time and it should.
    Take you lumps Spartans. We all had fun with UM when they lost to App State. Now we will get our due from the UM fans. Rightfully so. Take it with class. It hurts, but that is the way to do it. I will have my game story on Sunday. For now, it just hurts.
  13. Nemo

Good stuff from Hondo. Sad to think the Lions may turn it around before the Spartans do. I figured the Spartans would be first.
  14. ggazoo69

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm a big M fan, but Hart needs to show some class here. There are a lot of people in Michigan who are fans of both schools. MSU clearly had control of the game and should have won. No need to rub it in any further, especially when you won't be playing the next time they meet.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not sure what the big deal is here. It is an intrastate rivalry that has been going on for years. The Wolverine football team beats up on the Spartans every fall and then the Spartan basketball team returns the favor twice in the spring...

Students at both schools attend each other homecoming dances and icebreakers and talk smack all year long.. coaches and administrators should stay out out the smacktalk and leaking gossip to the newspapers other than the local collegiate gazzettes....:stirthepot:
  17. basketbills

All the taunting back and forth just adds to the rivalry. Whoever wins gets bragging rights. If you lose don't whine about it. Unless ...not that this could really happen...but lets say the guy who was operating the game clock decided to cheat...that would be the one exception.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was some BS for sure. That sticky button!
  19. ggazoo69

I think Hart should keep his mouth shut. Dude's been talking smack all season. There is an obscure bylaw in the NCAA rule book that states:

"No members of any Division I-A football team that is ranked in the top 5 and loses to a Division I-AA opponent may talk smack the rest of the season."

Let your performance do the talking. Dantonio shouldn't have taken the bait either.

I guess Hart figures this is his last hurrah. Too small for the pros and not quick enough either.
  20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    How do you know that? Just curious.