Spartan Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

If anybody hears anything on what bowl MSU may go to or if you have any ideas, please post here. I'm thinking of possibly flying out for a game if it's on a good day & not too far(I doubt they end up in the one in Idaho).

I heard maybe the Insight bowl (Arizona, which is close to me), but I think they are the 6th place team in the Big Ten, so they might get San Antonio...too far. But with OSU getting a BCS bid most likely, maybe MSU moves up.

I know the Detroit bowl is a possibility too.

Anyhow, please post your thoughts.
  2. Darth Tater

"Michigan State clinched at least a Motor City Bowl bid, but more likely will move up to the Insight Bowl in Tempe, Ariz., Dec. 31 against a Big 12 opponent.

The Insight could get its choice of three 7-5 teams -- MSU, Purdue and Indiana. The Spartans beat both teams by a combined score of 100-58.

If the Big Ten receives a BCS at-large bid -- Illinois is a possibility, especially if Hawaii loses a game -- the Spartans could end up in Orlando at the Champs Sports Bowl Dec. 28 against an ACC opponent.
    No official announcement was made Saturday night. The bowls likely will have to wait until the BCS at-large picture clears up. The BCS selections aren't official until Dec. 2."

BOWLING NIGHT: Spartans clinch bid with comeback victory over Penn State
  3. Darth Tater

Let the bowl speculation begin. Joe Rexrode of the Lansing State Journal writes that Michigan State fans may need to wait until December 2nd to find out where the Spartans are heading for their first bowl game since the 2003 Alamo Bowl.
    Rexrode speculates that Michigan State may be headed for Tempe, Arizona on December 31st for the Insight Bowl. The Spartans would face a Big 12 opponent.
    MSU’s bowl destination will be…
    … the Insight Bowl on Dec. 31 in Tempe, Ariz. That’s just a guess, but it does look like the most likely scenario.
    Here’s how it breaks down for the Big Ten bowls:
    Rose: Ohio State
    Capital One: Illinois
    Outback: Wisconsin
    Alamo: Michigan
    Champs Sports: Penn State
    Then you have MSU, Indiana and Purdue all tied at 7-5 overall, 3-5 in the league. The Insight picks next, between those three. MSU bombed both of those teams. And while that does not compel the Insight to pick MSU, they are looking for the most competitive team available. More importantly, they’re looking for the team that will bring the most fans and draw the best TV ratings.

Michigan State Spartans Sports - SpartanTailgate.com
  4. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Nice date and location for MSU.......Alamo bowl would be good for UM.
  5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

congrats MSU, huge win yesterday. while i still think they severely underachieved this year with ringer, caulcrick (sp), and thomas, they deserve props for 7 wins and (most likely) not going to the motor city bowl.
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Congratulations to Michigan State University in getting into a fairly marquee bowl game against a tough opponent. I think it's more than the Spartans probably deserve but so what? UM always gets more than they deserve as far as bowl games go, including this season.

Spartans on their way to Orlando
  7. Nemo

Yea, warm up the stadium for the Wolverines since we'll play Florida there on New Years Day. Imagine, 27th ranked Michigan getting 10th ranked Florida............And people wonder why Michigan always loses their Bowl Games.........
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Nemo, I think it's more about the "legend" of UM that gets them into these games. You don't think English can get the troops ready for Tebow? I think it will be an interesting game. I don't think Hart and the rest of the seniors want to go out on a losing note after the OSU losses and the other bowl losses. Also, it is one last chance to showcase themselves for the NFL.

One thing I've noticed is that UM does not seem to do well in warm-weather climates: Florida and Southern California.
  9. Darth Tater

Yeah, I agree. Both teams got more than they "deserved"...but when you look around the country, I'm not sure anybody really was more "deserving". Maybe a couple of smaller schools got screwed. It's like you guys said in another thread...the system sucks.

Regardless, I'm thrilled for Sparty!
  10. Nemo

Yea...you're right. That's also why Notre Dame has lost their last 9 Bowl games. I saw Michigan's last bowl game against Florida. We beat them in the OutBack Bowl several years ago. I think Grossman was their QB. I just don't know with this bunch..........If they'll win..........