Spartan Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm not brazen enough to predict a Spartan victory over U of M in Ann Arbor three weeks in advance. :bolt:

That one is gonna be a toughie.

**thinking of a prediction for next weeks Notre Dame game**

2. detteam

detteam All-Star

As a PF.com representative, I would think you would be keeping your comments in check.

There is a difference between rooting for your favorite team and throwing in a few rival barbs...vs chastising an entire town based on "your experience" and the economic situation they have been faced with due to the new global-economy (specifically...related to the auto industry). Do you also feel like bagging on Detroit & Flint or other communities that have suffered from changes in the auto industry over the last two decades, as the Lansing area has? If so, bring it on. I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm sure the people that live in those areas (including..."the projects"...)would like to hear them too.

I'm sorry if East Lansing doesn't fill your cultural bill. Perhaps you should suggest to the owner of "the best guitar store in the world" that he/she move the business to the 'heart' of Michigan culture and pristineness.

The arrogant A-hole moniker UM/AA has developed over the years is alive and well in your comments.

food4thot

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

MSU fans

Congrats on a good game today by the Spartans. Didn't see it, of course, out here in Conn., but I saw the stats and looks like Stanton had a little better day than Chad Henne. :) MSU is getting out of the chute quickly, which they sorely needed this season. I'm hoping UM recovers from this ND loss, but I'm also sort of hoping someone will get some smelling salts and wave them under the nose of the UM AD. Maybe the athletic dept. will wake up and realize UM should consider a coaching change. UM simply gets outplayed and outcoached in the big games. :frusty:

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

blues

On the 'blue' end of the state college football spectrum, what does Carr do now? The D played reasonably well in contrast to last week, but is the O toast without Hart?

5. Darth Tater

Did Hart's injury turn out to be serious? I had heard earlier that it was a quad or something and he would be back in a week.

6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

always been a spartan fan, but i root for both teams and the big 10 in general - hence wanting OSU to beat Texas. either way, MSU always seems to have ND's number, especially after ND beats UofM the week before. looking forward to that game!!

7. Darth Tater

What a perfect week of football. M.S.U. wins (and as a bonus U of M and a couple other rivals lose), The Lions win (and the rest of the division loses), and my fantasy team wins (and I beat my good buddy who was trash talking). I hope it doesn't all go bad next week. :pray:

8. Darth Tater

Game Day!

Upset for today:

Michigan State 27

Notre Dame 24

MSU ----> :laser: :boom:<-----Notre Dame

GO GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Darth Tater

Whew. OK, I figured for sure they blew it. Somehow they won. Can somebody please tell me how overtime in college football works?? :confused:It looked like both teams get a chance to score from the other team's 25? I didn't watch the game on television and I don't even know if it was televised, but I usually watch the live play by plays on my computer. So is this how O.T. works? Is it a new rule or have I missed this my entire life?

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'm not sure how long the current OT format has been around, but you've got the gist. The Spartans won today in the 1st OT. Had they kicked a field goal to tie it, the game would have gone to the 2nd OT round.

11. Darth Tater

detteam

OK, thanks. :) I don't feel so :doh: not knowing about it if it's a new rule.

12. ggazoo69

detteam

I half watched the game while I was doing something else, but it seems as if the MSU offense has a lot of options. Stanton can run and throw. Teague was outstanding. The tall kid receiver (can't remember his name) made a lot of clutch catches. JLS probably shouldn't have gone for that long field goal since MSU's defense is still not great. But I give the Spartans a lot of credit. They could've folded after blowing a two-touchdown lead, but they didn't. They beat a quality team on the road, and UM lost to them at home. I gotta believe that MSU and OSU are the teams to beat in the Big 10. And Iowa, too. UM is a step below for sure, although I think UM's defense will improve, but everyone knows that Herrmann's D hasn't defended the mobile quarterbacks well.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I heard a theory on the TV today about this. Because the "D" doesn't practice against a mobile QB, it makes it harder for them to execute on gameday.

Michigan is behind in both their recruiting (on offense) and offensive scheming. Football has changed in the last 3 years, and teams are spreading the field. That is NOT something that MU does well.

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Congrats Spartys... that was a fun game to watch (no nails left to bite)... After ND tied it up I thought there was no chance of winning.

Not sure I like this OT format though... it just seems hokey as hell... it's like a hockey shootout... guess I'm a traditionalist... but I do totally agree with instant replay (within a reasonable time limit)... I believe the NBA should adopt it also.... I could just see LB falling on his ass throwing out the red flag :evil:

Go Blue ... Go Green ... may the best team come out on top and kick OSU's arse (sorry Buckeye).

15. ggazoo69

Instant replay

Sheed would be yelling, "Throw that flag, Pound for Pound. I never touched him. Throw it now!"

16. Darth Tater

MSU is ranked #17 in the AP :whoo:

They :bump2: a lot of teams. Hopefully there is not a big letdown next week. In the end,at this point, I think OSU is gonna win the big ten, but you never know.

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

thinking out of the box

MSU's secondary IS bad (but not as bad as the Lions :mad2: ).

Looking forward to the rest of the season, State may not be able to simply outscore their opponents.

The MSU secondary is short and fairly inexperienced. In considering that, my though turned to a possible remedy in passing situations.

I don't know who the last Div 1A player was to play both ways, but I thought about Matt Trannon as a possible solution in passing downs. The guy is experienced, athletic, TALL, has decent speed, and could put some fear into opposing receivers. He knows the routes so there's a good chance that he can cover them.

I think throwing him back there is worth a gamble by John L. After 487 yards by Quinn, SOMETHING has to be done to shore-up the obvious inadequacy in pass defense.

18. Darth Tater

He might be willing to do it, but it probably wouldn't matter because I doubt John L. would consider something like that. I don't know if Trannon would have much left for the offense if he was running around covering people on every defensive series. It might be like "robbing Peter to pay Paul."

It's an interesting thought, but there must be a reason it isn't common to do that sort of thing even though many teams have deficiencies in one area or another.

I didn't watch the game on television. How bad is the secondary? I know they gave up those 41 points, but I thought they were doing ok until they started playing scared when they were up 38-17 with 5 to go in the 3rd.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

tater

The secondary IS bad...way too small...ND had 3 WR's at 6'5" and all of our defenders were 6' and less (I believe 2 starters are 5'9"...we have a 6'+ DB that is injured...I forget his name). Quinn shredded us over the last 1+ qtrs forcing the OT. The secondary is the biggest problem we face, followed by the kicking game (??...State has always had great punters & place-kickers going back to my days there when we had Morten Andersen).

John L's game plan mid-3rd qtr when we were up 38-17 was to not turn it over...he had no intention of scoring more points unless they were gifted...Stanton's passing game was put on the shelf. JLS was too scared to even run the option in fear of a fumble...thus the last 4-5 possessions were 3 & outs. He decided to rely on the D to bring the game to it's conclusion. He was wrong and we went to OT and lucked-out.

As far as Trannon goes, I'm only talking about obvious passing downs...especially the 4th & longs that Weis decided to play instead of kick...which we got burned on. ND's Quinn is good...God-forbid the Lions someday draft him and F him up like all the other decent collegiate QB's that they have found a way to mangle over the years

20. Darth Tater

detteam

I think Smith is a really good coach, but it sounds like he needs to cut out his Mooch imitation (conservative play calling) and play to win. I read somewhere, very recently, that he does it in big games or on big plays (or something like that). That makes me believe he wouldn't be likely to risk putting in Trannon on a 4th down (big) play.

Of their remaining 8 games, they play 3 toughies against Purdue, OSU, and U of M. Luckily they avoid Wisconsin and Iowa. They had better be ready to put some major points on the board. They do have an excellent offense though. So maybe they lose to OSU, Purdue, and one of the 5 "easier" ones. That puts them at 8-3.