Spartan Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Sep 10, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I can't figure out who John L. resembles more ... R. Lee Armey from "Full Metal Jacket," or The Green Goblin.

When he starts flashing that crazy, open-mouthed grimace it can go either way. But The Green Goblin is a great fit with the MSU colors, so that's my choice.
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

He reminds me more of McClean Stevenson of MASH fame.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well, I dunno who John L. reminds me of, but I learned recently that he is a native of Idaho falls and coached at the University of Idaho for several years. So that's another reason for me to root for him.

This weekends prediction:NO LETDOWN

MSU 34

Illinois 24

:rockon:
  4. Darth Tater

Who needs defense when you can put up 61?

MSU 61 Illinois 14:rapture:

Get ready Wolverines!!!!!
  5. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

True Blue fan here and the Wolverines better be prepared cuz the way State is playing we should be worried.
  6. Darth Tater

BigDaddy

I truly believe State is the better team this year. However, U of M is always dangerous and even though they always claim the State game means no more than any other game, I don't believe it. They always play well against us. That game worries me.

I think U of M will play well. I think the way State plays at home will determine the outcome. Will they make lots of mistakes or play well like they have against other teams? They need to be ready too. I think they will be prepared, but will nerves get to them? Should be another classic on tap.

I want to see what happens tonight against Wisconsin before I predict the outcome of next weeks game. Either way, Michigan should be tough. A close loss to Wisconsin ticks them off and a victory gives them momentum and more to play for.
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Darth

You're being way too diplomatic. State is gonna beat UM the way we shoulda beat Hussein in captivity. UM can't stop Stanton. At all.

Great avatar, Big Daddy.
  8. Darth Tater

ggazoo

DOGGONE it GAZOO! Shhhhhhhhhh. How many times do I hafta tell you to shhhhhhhhhhhhhh??? lmao:eyebrows:
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like State but I like UM too. All I can say is, don't count your chickens before they are hatched.
  10. Darth Tater

I agree Micro. All kidding aside it's going to be a great game. Either team could win.

Michigan will be out for blood. MSU is very confident. MSU just needs to be ready. IF they ARE ready and play well, it's gonna be the Green team smiling when it's all over.

:decision:ohhh....I can't do it. Truth is....

WE are gonna kick Meeeeeechigans BUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. detteam

detteam All-Star

PUL...LEEEEZZZE look at the team stats thus far this season!

If State doesn't win by 2+ touchdowns, they should hang their heads...and snicker...NYUK NYUK NYUK!!

:rofl:
  12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

always a classic

records, stats mean nothing when Michigan St. plays Michigan.

should be a good game.
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

classic?

No classic this year. State's gonna put the hurt on UM in a big way...maybe one for the record books...and thus, usher Lloyd out of AA by the scruff of his neck.

I don't know what the spread is, but State will clobber them. If they win by less than 14, I'll be very surprised. 30+ is not out of the question.
  14. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Michigan out of the top 25

..what a fall from grace.

Weren't these guys pre-season ranked #3. :tsk:

I still expect this game to be competitive.
  15. Darth Tater

I agree with Motown. You would think State would hammer them by a couple of touchdowns due to their great offense, but I'd be more shocked than not if it was an easy game. It's an intense rivalry and that often plays a factor. Expect Michigan to play them tough. Michigan wasn't exactly blown out by Notre Dame or Wisconsin. State is going to have to work hard to win it. And...I think they will.

Michigan can forget about the National championship and the Big Ten title is a longshot. But they still have hopes to beat their cross town rivals MSU, beat Ohio State. and of course bring home a trophy (the little brown Jug). :laugh::evil:
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

while i could worry that MSU would see they are favored and get complacent or over-confident, i don't see that happening (yeah i'm a spartan fan). the reason? blowing the 17-point lead with 6 minutes left to michigan last year. that was a better michigan team and the spartans still had them on the ropes.

i just can't see michigan winning this game. their defense is suspect and has trouble against the spread offense, stanton is much better this year, and michigan is too conservative on offense...they're going to need a lot of big plays to compete, but they don't have the balls, and they don't have braylon edwards to bail them out.

MSU had over 30 plays last week that went for 10 or more yards (and Ringer is sick wow) ... how many has UofM had the entire season?
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

18. Darth Tater

Should we root for him to win it? Isn't winning that particular award sort of like being on the cover of Sports Illustrated?:boom:
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

tater

I must say, your comment has confused me a bit. Are you being facetious?

The Heisman Trophy, to me, is the greatest individual award a football player, college or pro can attain. The award is legendary and is based on so many defining and great attributes, which include: athleticism, dedication, knowledge of the game, instinct, leadership, heart and, last but not least, statistics...which are the end result of all the afore mentioned. Heisman winners have shown their ability to make their entire teams better. They have turned possible mediocre seasons into excellent ones for their respective universities and all of their following.

Stanton has led an unranked preseason team to national attention...maybe one of the biggest surprise teams in a long while. I don't see Stanton actually winning the trophy regardless of his numbers...unless, miracle-of-miracles occurs and State wins the NC...given the two primary HT candidates USC has.

To compare winning the trophy to merely being on the SI cover is blasphemy. But that's just my opinion.

GO GREEN!!!
  20. Darth Tater

detteam

Yes, I was being facetious.

You've heard of the Sports Illustrated curse? People or teams getting their pictures on the cover of that magazine have a history of going into prolonged slumps, getting injured, etc. shortly after the issue comes out. It's known as the "Sports Illustrated curse" and athletes joke about not wanting to be on the cover.

Similarly, many Heisman winners end up being busts after leaving college. So I was joking that we did not want to put the whammy on Drew.

Of course winning the Heisman is a great honor, and I do think Stanton deserves some consideration for the award. :thumb: