1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Speed: the kryptonite

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by rdang, Oct 21, 2005.

1. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

The trend is starting to set and I'm sure many teams are beginning to see it in the Pistons.

What do Dwayne Wade - Devin Harris and TJ Ford all have in common? They've all been killing us because they're quick like lightning. Our guys are having the hardest problem guarding against the speed and agility of fast guards and the possiblity of losing Lindsey Hunter is gonna be even more devastating.

I haven't seen Mo Evans guard yet against players of this certain-natural ability; but I think the Pistons should beware, and learn how to defend against them. Tayshaun (maybe it was cause he was tired, but even so - the results show he couldn't do it alone)

Aker was just in an interview lately and even he stated:

"T.J. is fast as hell," Acker said after Ford lit him -- and the Pistons -- up for 19 points and nine assists. "I don't think he even knows how fast he is. It's funny, when I was sitting on the side, I was thinking, 'He's not all that fast.' Then, when I was out there face to face, man, I was like, (wow)."
    -Detroit Press (http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0510/21/D06-356526.htm)

Zone defence is supposed to stop penetrating offense but it doesn't look like its working against quick players.

My resolution if things get any worse: Trade Arroyo for Mike James + 1st round draft pick.

2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can't remember Mike James being as fast or good at D against quick guard as you postulate...

3. rdang

James was a great defender all around - a lot better than Arroyo. With a backcourt of him, CB and Prince, it'd be a handful for any offensive player.

4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

sure, everyone is better than Arroyo at D- but we got Evans for doing that job.
    Trading Arroyo would destroy the whole system.

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

everyone has trouble with those lightning quick guards...i'd rather change a scheme and try a little zone defense and player switches before panicking...and the pistons haven't even tried their zone yet for you to make the conclusion that it isn't working

6. rdang

I figured they were using the zone against TJ when TJ was lighting everyone up. I guess not.

7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Yeah, quickness is something we could use. I didn't figure he'd last until our spot in the draft, but I'd have loved to get Nate Robinson.

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Well our team hasn't fully learned the zone yet so we should wait a little bit befoer we say the zone won't work against fast guys.

9. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

suspect/selective memory...

Mike James was almost as good and pesky a defender as Lindsey Hunter my friend. He more than proved that in his time here in Detroit assisting in our Championship season that year. How do you think they earned the moniker "the pit bulls" when he and hunter were paired up together in the backcourt!!! Come on man just because someone isn't a Piston anymore doesn't mean you can't give them their due credit, sheesh! Mike James was indeed a very underrated and scrappy player, most nights he can hold his own with most of the starting pg's in the Association.

10. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Speed is indeed a very lethal weapon if used properly. However like Warthog already wisely stated those lil jitter bugs tend to do that to everyone. With that said it still is a valid issue that needs to be addressed. In the past when dealing with speed/quickness freaks like a.i. we have relied heavily on Lindsey & Rip along with Tay at times too. Those 3 along with the remarkable back up the Wallaces' always provide have served us well so far. I think Evans is scrappy/hungry enough that he'll also fit into that mold of helping us deal with some of these speedsters we may face, specifically d. wade. Ford is a good young player but along with his great speed he also is a bit of liability himself on the defensive end due to his lack of size (he's only 5'9" or 5'10" if that). Therefore overall we should be OK as long as our squad continues to play that great TEAM Defense that they've become famous/known for over the last few years.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

reply to rdang

Nothing so drastic needed. Instead, just realize, this is the preseason. The Pistons already have a cure for real quick guards. His name is Rip Hamilton.

Now, unless we actually meet one of these teams in the playoffs, you may never see these matchups. A coach need not show everything he has up his sleeves. But don't worry, its there. Rip has the speed, and some height, to guard really fast guards when we need him to.

12. max

max All-Star

TJ Ford

Note that the Wallace's were not in for most of the game. When they are in its a different story, even the quickest slasher thinks twice about taking it inside.

Plus Acker guarded Ford half the time and that was Ackers 1st game he will get better. In the meantime we will be getting Hunter back soon.

13. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

also remember

that most fast guards are kinda tiny. last year they were let off the hook because lb did not play mismatches. we have a very big backcourt and this year guards will not be let off the hook until the 4th quarter like last year. chauncey will abuse tj ford then abuse mo williams in the post. they will be in foul trouble in the first period. sometimes the best defense is a very good offense.

14. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

very good point. :thumb:

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Let's hope we increase posting up the smaller PG's... make the other team make the adjustment.... keep going to the well until they can't ignore the mismatch.
    That was something that could have won us the championship last year... for some reason we didn't keep posting Chauncey when it was obvious the Spurs had no answer (until Bowen)... Pop was smart enough to have his team ready for Chauncey kicking it out to Rip (when Bowen covered CB).
    I agree that we haven't shown all the cards yet.... I'll put my money on CB over TJ.

16. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Mismatches

Sure, LB played mismatches. He played Tay on Duncan, didn't he? :laugh:

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It wont happen again

This is where rip screwed up last year he could of manhandled Tony Parker as well, he won't make the same mistake this year.