1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Spur Talk

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 6, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Thanks Roscoe, :pound: Watching Celt/spurs. Did you know their veteran is only 24 y/o? About 5 of Celts out with injuries, and 3 of their starters are out of high school. And on top of that, they're ahead of us now.

3. barbara SanAntone

We beat the Celts the other night, but I just dont understand how we let huge leads (like 20) dwindle down to 3-5 point diff. I know we made a ton of TOs but I couldnt understand Tony not taking shots. Today I saw Johnny Ludden SA E-N comment on Pop making Tony shoot less.

"He wants me to try to do a better job of getting everybody involved and try to take less shots," Parker said. "I try to get more shots for Michael Finley and Brent Barry and to get their confidence going."
    Parker had eight points and eight assists in Sunday's victory. He had 15 points on 6 of 9 shooting against Boston with five assists and five turnovers.
    After averaging about 19 points a game for much of the season, Parker said he's had to change his natural instincts a bit.
    "I'm trying to do my best to help my team out and get something going," he said. "My offense will always come back. I just try to be more as a passer these last two games and get everybody involved."

We play Rockets here tonight. Did you all see Mutumbo (sp?) and his family with President Bush last night who recognized Mutumbo for his humanitarian gifts of building hospitals, etc in Africa. It was beautiful.

4. barbara SanAntone

Well, Rockets came to play last night and we came to watch. Not sure if its cause Rockets played so well or we played so bad. I think its because Rockets were really good. I have wondered why Jackie Butler hasnt been playing, the few times I saw him I thought he was good but here is a little insight from Spurs Mailbag, SA-Exp News:

What is the deal with Jackie Butler? Why isn't he getting more minutes for everyone to see what he can do?
    – Wes, Denton
    The Spurs have seen what he can do in practice, and it isn’t much.
    He also didn’t help his cause last week in Chicago. Pop put him in for the final minute, the Bulls missed a shot, the rebound bounced right to him and he didn’t move a half-foot to get it. One of Chicago’s players went around him, grabbed the ball and put it back up for a layup.
    I know one minute of playing time isn’t going to produce a fair assessment of someone’s skills. But that someone should at least pretend to do something.

If nothing else, Jackie recently received a lesson in inactive-list etiquette.

After Matt Bonner injured his knee and couldn’t walk off the court, Tim and athletic trainer Will Sevening started to carry him. Michael Finley and Eric Williams quickly ran over to take their place. As Finley and Williams started to haul Bonner off, Tim yelled at Jackie – the only player not in uniform – to go help.

No one knew how long it was going to take to get Bonner to the locker room, so what would have happened during that time if Pop wanted to put Finley or Williams in the game?
    Jackie just stared blankly at Tim. Tim yelled again while pointing toward Bonner: “Go help!” Jackie nodded and trudged off after the players.

Here’s the problem: He’s 21 years old, he showed up out of shape and his work ethic has been questionable at best. It also didn’t help that he came from a chaotic situation in New York where he probably didn’t have much structure. This doesn’t mean Jackie won’t ever develop into a rotation-worthy player. I just don’t expect it to happen this season.

Hmmmm, guess that answers my question.

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Barb, the Spurs are still an elite team but are going thru the same midlife crisis that the Pistons are going through. They have their four core players Duncan, Manu, Tony and Bowen, but the rest of the bunch, Horry, Finley, Vaughn, Eric Willams and Barry are aging fast with 9 or more years of wear and tear on there bodies.

Even though it looks like Pop plays his young guys, they can't seem to mesh all of the time and are struggling just like ours. Your Jackie Butler is our Amir Johnson.

I know the Spurs fans are feeling the pain too. I can't believe they have already lost 8 home games. The Pistons have matched that stat too. In fact the Pistons, Spurs and Nuggets are the only teams in the league that have better road records than home records.

The good thing is that the Piston brass knew something was amiss here and have made the first step of doing something positive by not botching the Cwebb signing and I am sure the Spurs brass will do something too. Do you think they will take Nazr back and send us Beno? :)

6. barbara SanAntone

Ah-HAAA, you all fell for that old "Hey, he's a Spur" trick:pound: Next time Spurs try to unload something, run the other way:)

Yep, I think Spurs and Pistons are pretty much in the same boat right now. They still have time to fix it, just need to fly under the radar and let folks focus on the stars. Piston know how value-less winning all the regular season games was, and the Heat knew regular season wins didnt matter. What will matter is how we prepare for our finals.

After Friday we start our Rodeo Road Trip (AT&T center will be used for the Fat Stock Show and Rodeo). Matt Bonner said the rodeo trip was when the guys bunk and hunker down and talk about what needs to be done, how it can be done, etc. In other words, they get real close and when they come back they are rejuvenated.

You know, I sense Steve Nash's anxiety. He knows they are really wearing themselves down and when it comes to play-offs they aint gonna make it. You get a feeling he is at his peak, time for a ring is passing him by, and all the run and gun aint nothing but that..run and gun. He really doesnt even want to do the All Star Break, says its really the only time he has with his family. He knows its a great honor, etc., but, hey, enough is enough. (my words):sssh:

So, Pistons and Spurs are going to heal themselves, do what it takes and fly under the radar. See you at Finals:cheerleader:

7. roscoe36

I think the Spurs run the tightest locker room and have the best front office. You either fit, or you don't.

8. barbara SanAntone

Yippee Yi Yi Ho Get along little dogies it's your misfortune and none of my own....yep started our rodeo trip with a great start. To read the reports of Lakers and Spurs you would think the Spurs won by a fluke and it really should have been the Lakers. Kinda disgusting until I read this (exerpt) with Phil Jackson take on game:

It was truly the same frustration Spurs, probably Pistons, and other teams feel when they lose the lead and let the other team back in. It happens to everyone (just glad to see it happen to someone besides us:) ) So a wins a win. On any given day a team can win or lose. Just the way it goes. We have a back to back wed/thurs Jazz then Suns. Just gotta go and get it done. You guys did good last night, CWebb was a great pickup and he really loooks happy.

So, GO PISTONS/GO SPURS GO

9. barbara SanAntone

What's funny is I didnt realize Bobcats had just beat Lakers Friday until I read the article. I went back and checked the Bobcats website and saw where they beat Lakers in 1 overtime Friday and they had also beat Lakers in Dec with 3 overtimes. Boy, those Bobcats are fighters:)

10. roscoe36

That Bobcat team is one player away. They need a bonafide PF so Wallace can move back to SF.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Isn't it wonderful to see the Zenmaster all tweaked out? The bad news is the Fakers are much improved from last year. Also the Pistons know about blowing a 10 point lead in the 4th Q. But only in a game 7 in the Championship! Hey try and keep the Suns and Mavs in sight or people will say, "Spurs who?"
    P.S. only the Spurs and Pistons have better road records than home record.

12. barbara SanAntone

Well, I'm glad it was T-Wolves who broke the Suns winning streak, not us. Kevin Garnett flat let them have it, and Nash said he was glad they beat them instead of them beating themselves:) Oh yes, that can happen, cant it?

I was twice as glad to see the Bobcats beat the Nuggets, 105-101. That dynamic duo didnt intimidate the Cats. Saw this on the Nuggets-Jazz game:

Iverson and Anthony put on a show, but it wasn't enough to overcome the Jazz. Anthony scored 37 points in his third game back from a 15-game suspension and Iverson had 33 points and six assists. Marcus Camby added 21 points and 10 rebounds, but no other Nuggets player scored more than five.

Can you believe that, NO OTHER NUGGETS PLAYER SCORED MORE THAN FIVE? Why bother to suit up? Hmmm, gonna be some unhappy Nuggets out there.

You know, I'm realistic, I see the game changing and next year it will complete it's transition most likely. Young guys, run and gun, teams built around star, etc. The summer teams will be gearing up to fit the new style. BUT, this year, right now, the two best teams, Spurs and Pistons have got to play the styles they have won with. They cant try and change now, just improve on what they know how to do. Go to Finals, this year. It's not time to wipe the dinosauers out, not yet:sssh:

13. barbara SanAntone

gonna try and put this pic of Kobe after he fouled Duncan

[​IMG]

hey, it worked:)

14. barbara SanAntone

Ouch, Jazz spanked us! Okur made 8 points in the LAST MINUTE! Wow, they are really picking it up since Boozer is out. I hate it that Boozer has a broken leg, even they are calling it a "hairline fracture" (that's what little kids get) because I think he will probably be out for some time. They played a good game, and like Tim Duncan says "We made too many mistakes". Ya think?

Well, the Suns are ready to start their win streak tonight, so hopefully we can put them off.

You guys played a great game last night, getting back that Piston swagger, getting it done. Cant help but love Maxiell from your posts. You know, he is so proud to be a Piston, nothing is going to deter him, he is still a kid, and wont be offended if he doesnt get minutes, but will just be so happy to be there and do as good as he can. Makes me think of kids I have known, just full of love.

Keep up the good work. We're gonna try. GO PISTONS/GO SPURS GO:)

15. roscoe36

BSA, did you get a new(er) computer?

16. barbara SanAntone

Yep, my old HP was 7 years old and had 65megabytes memory and was soooo slow, so I broke down and got a new HP with 1GB memory and I love it (play Pogo games on the internet:) ) I dont care if I use it for just a few months, it's worth it.

Hey, I saw this on Topix.net and it puts Spurs playing more in perspective. We're still one of the top teams, just working out stuff.

Everything is relative. Compare any team to the league-leading Dallas Mavericks or Phoenix Suns, and it looks as though something's wrong.
    "Everybody keeps saying that. I don't see it," said Houston Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy. "They're on pace to win 58 or 59 games. I don't see it.
    "I think it's unfair to San Antonio to think that something is amiss. The West is really hard, no matter where you go."

So, Spurs arent really off that much from last year, still have time to go. Dang, sure could have used the Red Rocket in the Suns game, we love that guy:)

17. barbara SanAntone

Well, Spurs have been on 5 day hiatus trying to get it together, Parker says he thinks we are turning the corner. We play Wizards tonight and we beat Wiz last time so I'm sure we are on Arenas revenge list. Tony has some tendinitis, but he says not too bad.

Here's an exerpt from SA E-News with Pop's take on practice:

quote:
    Monday's practice was even longer than Sunday's, which went over two hours and included a lengthy video re-hash of costly mistakes from the Spurs' two losses. The team will have a third-straight practice session — a regular-season rarity — today before leaving for Washington.

"Practice is always important," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, "whether it's one practice in three weeks or three in a row, like we're going to have here. Practice is never unimportant, that's for sure."
    Popovich said there was a serious tone to the last two workouts.
    "(It was) a good chance to improve execution and let a lot of guys play, guys who don't normally get much of a chance to go five-on-five because they're 10th man or 12th man," he said.

"(We worked on) many things. It doesn't matter if you have the best record in the league or the worst record. Basketball is made up of a lot of components, so you can pick out almost anything and get better at it."
    :hoops:

18. barbara SanAntone

Spurs played a great game, Pop says the better game so far. In spite of the fact that Wiz was having an off night (Pop added that we all do) Spurs did great, executed well, and even closed out in the 4th Q without losing our hugh leads (which was becoming normal).

Arenas played 40 minutes, and Tony Parker played more than any Spur at 27 minutes. Pop says we played well for 48 minutes, and that's what it takes. I didnt think we would blow them out, though, just a little spanking. Pop says once again "this is what we do, we play defense and defense wins games."

Nice to see Pistons getting some breaks and working on being the top in the East. They just have to keep on doing what they do, what wins them ships, what strikes fear in the hearts of their opponents. SCARE THEM.

Okay you guys, getting ready to see you St Valentines Day. Will it be a St Valentines Day Massacre?:gun1: or just a plain old good Texas shoot out? Should be fun:)

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm hoping the Spurs can turn the Playoffs into some old school 1990's basketball and meet the Stones in the Finals again. Stern would be so upset that his touch fouling, high scoring plan hadn't worked out.

Then we will unleash Dale Davis and neither team will break 80 in a 7 game series. The ratings will be worse than hockey in Mexico.

20. barbara SanAntone

Wow, Pistons played great last night. Hey, Lakers stank, but that doesnt take it away from Pistons. Makes me feel really good about our upcoming game. I think Spurs and Pistons are about same level of turning the corners and the game will have that "old time religion" feel:) REMATCH!

We have Magic tonight, Heat Sunday, and will be on back2back Nets the 13th and PISTONS the 14th. Pop hasnt been playing Horry on the 2nd back to back game, so maybe he will sit:stirthepot:

GO PISTONS/GO SPURS GO:cheerleader: