1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Spur Talk

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 6, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I hope you guys pound the Magic into the ground. Our lotto pick looks better and better everyday!

2. roscoe36

BSA, your boys let us down!

I hope Pop tears them a new one for losing to the Orlando Magicians!

3. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

It sure gave Orlando a boost (SO SORRY). Pop gave the guys hell.
    SA Ex-N:

[SIZE=+2][/SIZE] While Popovich treated the Spurs to a 30-minute film session before their afternoon practice, he wasn't as concerned with the made-for-SportsCenter final play — which he simply called "unbelievable" — as he was with the 18-plus minutes that preceded it.

"When we score 104 points, we're supposed to win those games," Popovich said. "But when we let an opponent score 106, shoot 58 percent and score 58 points in one half, we should be embarrassed.
    "That's too soft of a performance. It's just not competitive enough on the part of the group. ... We totally let down defensively."

Regardless, Popovich wants to see a better defensive effort than Friday's. Among the problems that showed up on film: The Spurs failed too often to run J.J. Redick off the 3-point line; they sometimes double-teamed Howard when they weren't supposed to and didn't double him as instructed on other occasions; and they allowed the Magic to take three offensive rebounds on the final possession of the third quarter, leading to a 3-pointer from Jameer Nelson that tied the game.
    "Those kind of things are inexcusable, unacceptable and that's when a teammate lets his team down," Popovich said. "That's the part I'm actually angered about — that consistency of effort, consistency of physicality, consistency of focus is not there as far as the group is concerned.
    "There's always a weak link someplace, and that's not good enough."

So, we play the Heat this afternoon, see if we can avoid one of those ESPN replays over and over:)

The Pistons are finally getting their due as the Beasts of the East. Keep up the good work. GO PISTONS/GO SPURS GO

PS roscoe, dont know how that turned out in bold!

4. roscoe36

Well it looks good in bold!

5. barbara SanAntone

Hey, so do you!:)

6. 4cwebb

4cwebb First Round Draft Pick

Spurs didn't fare too well in Florida...took a 4th quarter beating at the hands of DWade. Timmy D with a tough game on the offensive end. Spurs looked like the team fighting to get back to .500 (instead of Miami).

7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Six for 24 from Barry, Bowen, Finley, and Horry makes a big ol' hole. Seems to me the Spurs season depends on at least two of those guys playing a lot better for a long stretch.

8. barbara SanAntone

Yep, that's Pop's take too. He still says "we're still not playing physical enough, we're playing soft for too many minutes a game". They looked old and slow even against the old and slow Heat. Some think Spurs dont have another gear to go to. HMMMM, could be.

Poor old Beno is in Pops doghouse again. Pop has used Jacques Vaughn to back up Tony Parker past 3 games and has indicated he doesnt consider this to be short term. Exerpt from SA E-N:

A little more than two weeks ago, Popovich said he would back off Udrih in hopes he would start playing more confidently. Udrih responded with a productive performance, but his play and minutes were uneven the next three games.
    Udrih didn't play against Miami. It was the second-straight game he did not play, and he is averaging only four minutes in the past six games.
    Popovich has long been frustrated by Udrih's lack of aggression, but Udrih also is shooting a career-worst 35.4 percent, including 25.3 percent from the 3-point line, this season.
    "I'm trying to get my confidence back in the practices," Udrih said. "It's harder than playing in the game, but that's how it is."

Beno says he isnt interested in looking for trade, he likes SA but it's up to the organization. :sssh:

You guys are doing great. Keep up the good work. We play Nets tonite and you guys tomorrow. At the rate you guys are going, I think you are going to spank us:) Oh well, better someone else beat up on us instead of Pop:stirthepot:

9. roscoe36

SPURS: Spurs Acquire Melvin Ely

Melvin Ely Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

10. barbara SanAntone

We didnt hear about the trade until 6 oclock news when GM said we were going to try it, we needed to do something. They are so quiet around here, probably Pops disgust over the weekend, Spurs "soft" etc.
    From what I hear, Melvin Ely has been up for trade for some time. We got Eric Williams with Matt Bonner and I didnt realize he wasnt working out, I know he hasnt played. Dang I will be glad when Red Rocket is back. I love to watch him play.

We beat Nets tonight, but they didnt have Jason Kidd. Spurs did seem more focused. Jacques Vaughn played well. Good luck tomorrow. We just want a good game, no injuries, everyone playing their best.
    HAPPY VALENTINES PISTON FORUMITES:inlove:

11. barbara SanAntone

I read PF comments on game, and frankly, I thought the Pistons played well. I didnt see anything sloppy, it looked like they were into the game, and, as is the Spurs custom, I expected them to fold in the final minutes of the 4th. I thought for sure Pistons could catch them in the final 3-4 minutes.

On the other hand, Spurs were ready for this one. Their play was up a notch and Francisco Elson and Jacques Vaughn came thru.

I remember Roscoe saying something about games are about coach vs. coach (sorry Roscoe if I messed it up) and I think Pop outcoached Flip. He quickly figured out Flips screens and counter-attacked. Flip couldnt (or wouldnt) adjust. Anyway, that's what the announcers said:)

Another thing, the announcers kept reminding us that Pistons were a top team, a genuine elite team that commanded respect. Yep, we won but Pistons made us work for it. :hoops:

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Barb, the Spurs played like they had something to prove grabbing the lead by playing smart ball, hitting some tough shots and taking care of the paint on both ends. By the time the Pistons woke up and started going to the paint, Duncan blocked a couple and next few shots were altered reverse layup attempts that couldn't find the bottom of the hoop.

The Pistons were a good enough team to make a game of it, but it was too much to over come when our guys were thinking about vacation away from flip...:)

Good game for two good teams that may meet in June...hopefully for one of us anyway

13. roscoe36

BSA, big brother whupped up on little brother tonight. A big ol' woodshed whuppin'. The Spurs did not get our "A" game.

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

No, but they whooped our "A"

15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

They say you can't coach height. Well...you can't coach quickness either. Not only are you quicker, but you have slashers and just enough free-form to prevent lazy match up from our side. Even assistants (those unknown value contributors) can see our weak points and attack them.

Good pickup on your most recent trade...and wasn't it Pop who confidently insisted on staying the course with the present squad? You now have an All-Star center and and another solid big man to-boot, who might even think like a role-player.

16. barbara SanAntone

I know there are a lot of people who think the Spurs are "boring" and they might be. They don't have the outgoing personality of Piston players or the attention of player problems that other teams have. They just kind of plod along, trying to make themselves better. Here is an exerpt from Nevada Review Journal by Steve Carp about Tim Duncan and how he thrives on game fundamentals:

Quote:
    The Spurs have undergone numerous changes since Duncan sidekick David Robinson retired after the 2002-03 season, when San Antonio won its second NBA title. Duncan now works alongside the likes of Beno Udrih and Fabricio Oberto, but he keeps on rolling.

"As my teammates change, the coaches make the adjustments, and I just go along," he said.

It's the same mentality that made Bill Russell great. Like Russell, Duncan won't compromise his abilities. He'll make his teammates better, and that's why he would be a force in any era.

"He's a throwback kind of guy," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "His greatness is his commitment to excellence and his valuing every possession at both ends of the court. You don't see that a lot these days in players.

"Tim Duncan doesn't have many cheap possessions. When he's a decoy, he's a very good decoy. When he's a screener, he's a very good screener. He has a '60s mentality to the way he approaches the game."
    It goes back to the fundamentals Duncan developed at Wake Forest. Despite his superior size and talent, Duncan would not take any short cuts. He worked hard in the gym and the weight room. He paid attention to his coaches. He played with a high level of intensity and intelligence -- and with a large dose of humility.

He's not really comfortable talking about himself. Even with everything he has accomplished, Duncan doesn't allow himself a pat on the back. He's motivated this season by the fact the Spurs made, for them, an early exit from the postseason last spring. San Antonio lost in the Western Conference semifinals to the Dallas Mavericks in seven games, and it has gnawed at Duncan since.

"We're not used to losing," he said. "Yes, it's definitely a motivating factor for all of us, not just myself."
    That makes coach Gregg Popovich's job much easier.
    "His game is simple," Popovich said. "He has perfected the simplicity of the game."
    But Popovich also noted Duncan's work ethic and desire to win another championship make him the perfect leader for the Spurs.
    "His passion hasn't waned at all," Popovich said. "He's just as hungry now as he was when we were going for our first championship (in 1999). That's what he plays for."
    Teammates follow Duncan's lead.

So, nice to know the Spurs are hungry. Our problem is that Mavs are hungry too, maybe even hungrier. Dirk talked about how Mavs loss to Heat bothered him all summer. I hope Piston's have that hunger, a growl in the pit of their stomachs that makes them want Spur tacos:)

We just have to meet in Finals. GO PISTONS/GO SPURS GO

17. max

max All-Star

Thats a game, on the Pistons end, that you want to sweep under the rug and forget about. That game was not how the Pistons have been playing latetly and I would not go into too much Piston analysis based on that game.

Thats why they play 2 and the Pistons will give the Spurs more in the 2nd game in San. Should see a much better game.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ah shucks...signed Timmay Duncan

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Manu scored 24 straight points tonight?!?

20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Amazing stretch by Manu. At some point deep in the second he had outscored the opponent 24-23. A couple of jumpers here and there, but a lot of head down drives to the basket with circus finishes.