Spur Talk

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 6, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Barbara... your insights on the Spurs are always welcome here... it helps keep tabs on "the other gr8 team"
    Maybe we'll convert you yet:P

Lurker from Austin is lookin for someone to take in a live game in San Antonio with.... The S.A. / Detroit game should be on the event calendar already... maybe we should start an early thread and talk about the matchups.... the bench matchup will be most interesting
  2. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Thanks Merc, I am converted...

I mean I feel like a mama with a siamese twin baby, spur and piston. :confused: I gotta take care of them both. They are gonna stay like that and get separated at the the finals... then the best team will win, I don't care which one, I will just know it will be the best team at that time. Pistons are off to such a rocking start, dang, I hope they can make it past 8 wins, and become the new "baddest boys", set a new marker, raise the bar.

Spurs play Celts tonite, Finley and Barry are still out, Manu was having some kind of pain too, so dont know if he is better. Tim and Tony are holding down the fort, but I like Nick VanExel, he's starting to get the hang of it (takes immediate notes when he sits down, writes down what he did wrong, when he was out of position, etc.). Anyway, he's really working at it.

You guys stay well, shock everybody! Glad to see you are finally getting some respect. :)
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think the Spurs will be somewhat complacent this year (like Detroit was last year) and then they are going to do to Dallas what Detroit did to Miami.

Pistons & Spurs finals sounds about right to me. Except the story is gonna end a bit differently this year... ;)
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I sure hope so. Spurs are amazingly good.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think unlike last time we'll have home-court advantage and we'll pull it out with our fans, come on seriously we're off to a hot start and the champs always loose some games they should win because the other team wants to win so bad we saw that last year with the pistons.
  6. barbara SanAntone

Wiz shocked me...

what a whuppin' they gave sonics! Spurs and Wiz will both be on back to backs tonite, so it will be anybody's game. Wiz has one of our old spurs, cant think of his name now, antonio. Think Tony has his work cut out for him. Finley and Barry still out. Nestorvic (sp) will start.

Love what pistons are doing, really making folks stand up and take notice...finally:nod:
  7. barbara SanAntone

We just got Wizzzzzzz-ed

Wiz was great, Arenas had 43 points! Tim missed 15 straight shots.:frusty:
    So that makes Wiz 5-1 and Spurs 5-2.

Okay pistons, watch out for those guys, you play 11/25/05. Good Luck!:)
  8. barbara SanAntone

Tim's "patches"

I wonder if he had them on when they played Wiz...or maybe all the Wiz wore them :ohwell:

From today's WOAI Spurs talk San Antonio:

Don's Extra Point
    by Don Harris
    Ticket 760 Sports on News 4 WOAI

Investigating and uncovering. Yes, we have discovered Tim Duncan's secret.

We've got the answer. Monday night we showed you those bandages that Tim’s been wearing on his chest. Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich wasn't quite sure just why Tim has been wearing them.

The little bandages are called ‘Lifewave Energy Patches.’ They are a revolutionary new medical discovery that uses electromagnetic fields to burn fat and build energy.
    Tim's not the only athlete using them. Texas Tech football players and Lance Armstrong are among the athletes that have utilized the new patches.

So how do they work? We talked to San Antonio Dr. John Hernandez.

“You put these patches specifically on acupuncture points. It then stimulates the electrical flow,” explains Dr. Hernandez. “It then increases, believe it or not, the biochemistry. It increases and enhances the energy produced in the muscle tissue at a little cellular level called the mitochondria. It's like a little power house - a little generator.”

We tried to get a comment from Tim about these patches, but he ducked out of the locker room early after the game Tuesday night. Side note: Tanji Patton and Jennifer Broome have both used these patches.

Hmmmmm, think I'll get me some :nod:
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

These energy patches remind me a bit of the product mentioned in anoither thread..

stopabductions.com
  10. barbara SanAntone

basketbills, that's funny!

:pound: If he starts wearing the tinfoil hat, we'll know!
  11. roscoe36

Bruce Bowen scares me. He is the best man-on-man lock down defender in the league. Period. He can take any one player out of a game.

It will be interesting to see if he matches up against Rip, CB or Tay in the December game.
  12. barbara SanAntone

Watch out for Rockets 4Q rally, Pistons!

Micro, Bruce scares McGrady, too. But McGrady scares Pop. Here's an exerpt from ESPN game recap rockets/spurs:

McGrady seemed on track to possibly repeat his heroics from last Dec. 9 when he scored nine-points in the final 35 seconds against the Spurs, including a last-second three, that gave the Rockets an improbable 81-80 win at home.

McGrady "scares me from the time I get up in the morning until the game ends," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's done it game after game after game. ... He's like a Robert (Horry) in that he's a pro. He's confident. He single-handedly brought them back."

McGrady credited the Spurs' Bruce Bowen, who guarded him most of the night, in helping stop the surge.

"Facing a guy like Bruce Bowen, you just have to try to block everything out and concentrate on the moment," McGrady said. "That's a tough night of work. He's one of the premier defenders in this league and on a fresh night, he's going to make your night miserable."

So, good luck Pistons and watch out for Rockets last few second rally!
    It almost got us:doh:
  13. roscoe36

BFSA, What happened to Oberto?
  14. barbara SanAntone

Oberto is still on "baby steps"

He's trying, but having to make major adjustments playing for NBA (faster, bigger than euro games). He doesnt mind sitting the bench, or play w/few minutes...he knows he has a way to go. (Article in SA Express News)

E-News also reported on signing of rookie guard Alex Scales 6'2 waived by Sonics. He's never played in NBA games, but in 7 ehibit games was 5.6 pints, 1.0 assists and 46% shooting. Spurs also signd Melvin Sanders last week after Finley and Barry got hurt. Pop says spurs have had problem matching smalls and we are going to have to go smalls as more and more opponents are using smaller lineups.

Pop also says he concerned that he's been overplaying Manu.

Man, Pistons have got to stay focused in tonites game. Pop says we almost lost it because even tho players came in physically ready they werent mentally ready. Here's express news article:

After Tim Duncan squeezed off a jump shot too quickly, Popovich yelled at him. When Tony Parker was called for traveling on the following possession, Popovich screamed some more.
    "Just play the damn game!" Popovich said, adding a four-letter description of Parker's appearance.
    And though it was far from picture perfect, the Spurs held off another flurry from McGrady and beat the Rockets 86-80. Not until the closing seconds, however, did the sellout crowd of 18,797 — and Popovich — exhale.
    "We were up 20 and lost some focus," said Popovich, who was noticeably more upbeat after the game. "Guys came back in and weren't ready to play, more mentally than physically. We have a ways to go.
    "I'm real interested to see how we handle that mental edge."
    Robert Horry, for one, looked as steady as ever, scoring 16 points on just six shots. His 3-pointer with 3:50 to play helped slow Houston's comeback.
    Rasho Nesterovic played solid defense on Yao Ming, helping hold the Rockets' 7-foot-6 center to one point in the second half. Duncan led the Spurs (7-2) with 19 points, Parker added 17 and Manu Ginobili had 15.
    McGrady, however, nearly overcame it all, scoring 23 of his 27 points in the second half. The Spurs also hadn't forgotten that McGrady reeled off 13 points in the final 35 seconds to beat them nearly a year ago in Houston.
    "He scares me from the moment I get up in the morning," Popovich said, "
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think so too. If they are focused they win. If not...
  16. roscoe36

No disrespect to the Spurs, but the Pistons are the better team mentally. I think the Spurs edge lies in depth, speed and shooting. And Bruce Bowen.

No one is tougher than Detroit. It's just the way we like it. I fully expect the boys to destroy the Rockets tonight.
  17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Bruce Bowen

When preparing for the Spurs, Bruce Bowen has to be treated as someone to worry about, almost like an offensive star. An opposing team has to make up a special game plan to cope with covering an offensive star. With Bowen, a special game plan must be enacted. Since Bowen will cover either Billups, Tay or Rip, have that person bring the ball up court and have Ben or Sheed lay the wood to Bowen with a few hard screens. Send a message in the first quarter. The Bad Boys used intimidation. This current team needs to take a page from the '88-'90 playbook. I'm not saying intimidation will work with Bowen, but Bowen absolutely manhandles people. He needs a little dose of this himself.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The odds on Euro PF/C's having an impact in this league are slim.
    We see this same comment from most teams from their overseas players (faster, bigger than Euro games)...

We need to be careful when judging Euro talent against other players that aren't premier athletes.
    Darko may be the only exception as far as athletisism from a big that I can think of... and he still looks like he just fits in as far as athletisism.

I will say that Euros do get it when it comes to team ball and that this can make up for lack of quicks sometimes... but for the most part NBA players luv the idea of taking it to the rack on Euros (baring DMC)

So when this one troll came on the DET News board and was bragging about how gr8 Oberto would make the Spurs, he obviously wasn't considering that he could be a defensive liability in our league (that will go over well with Pop).

One of my biggest interest this year will be the Dallas/Spurs matchups... this is gonna be somethin' special folks.
  19. barbara SanAntone

I agree Micro

Pistons do have the greater mental edge. And that's what can make a difference in a game. Pop knows we almost lost it, because we lost the mental edge. God, I want to see Pistons go 8-0 tonite:nod: Pistons got the bullseye on their backs now, everybody wants to bring them down:frusty: GO PISTONS ...mee-yaooooo's a %%%%% cat:)
  20. barbara SanAntone

Here comes the sun la da da da da

:lalala: here comes the sun! Suns are pretty hot even without Amare. They are making adjustments, and hanging in there. I remember last years west conference: they had just beat Mavs with Marion scoring 33 points (all in 3's I think) then they played Spurs, and Bruce held Marion down to 3 points the whole game. Amare almost killed Spurs because he is one of the few players who handled Duncan.

They have Barbosa who has averaged 15.6 points in the first 7 games, and that is more than double his 7.0 last season. Eddie House just scored his career high 31 pts. Suns have highest scoring avg in league through 7 games, 107.2 points. With Amare out, Nash has boosted his scoring, but his shooting percentage has dropped. Got my info from SA
    Express News. Also,

Phoenix has dropped four of its first six home games. Even D'Antoni, one of the most positive of thinkers, frets that his new lineup reacts to crunch time "like we're waiting for a piano to fall on our heads."

So, tonite, hope we can Piston-ize them, like Piston game 11/10/05:)
    Congrats Pistons on 8-0. Go for the NINE! Don't let them Spur-ize you:doh: