Spur Talk

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 6, 2005.

1. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Just finished the Trailblazer game. Wow, Blazers were ahead the whole game, just cruising along, no extreme effort from Spurs, and in the final minute, Spurs down by 5 and just kicked it up a notch to finish 99-94. Manu did his thing. Blazers and fans were dumbfounded, couldnt believe it was happening. Blazers really played well, just didnt count on Spurs coming out of the hole at the last minute.:)
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

The Spurs are the real deal. The Blazers are a bunch of talented, millionaire kids devoid of a work ethic or winning culture.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

PopcornMachine's GameFlow - San Antonio @ Portland
    See this is why I don't like the sleaze bag Purrs. They let the Blaze think they were playing well when all along the Purrs were just toying with them. Sure enough come crunch time they dowse the Blaze with cold water. Rude just rude to the Blaze psyche and their fans. This is the kind of lazy BS the Pistons pull. Keep doing it and sooner or later the switch won't flip.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Notice the insertion of Mr. Bowen for the final +10 point stint.
  5. barbara SanAntone

Thee, you crack me up:) The Spurs dont go to a game to disrespect the other team and fans, They go in and watch everything the other team does, if they are a struggling team, they give them a chance to show what they've got. No need in going in and stomping them just because you can. Young guys on other teams grew up watching the Spurs, this is their chance to play with the big boys.

Rookie B. Roy commented:'They played like champions down the stretch,' Roy said. 'I'm going to learn from this game. They picked it up in the fourth quarter. Coach said that's what champions do.' That's still a young team learning.

On the other hand, Sacramento came out from the start, scratching and clawing and making the Spurs work. And Kings played all 48 minutes, didnt let up. Kings coach Musselman said "we scored 32 points in the 4th Quarter against the best defensive team in the league. That's a lot of points against San Antonio, especially down the stretch." And the Kings feel good about themselves and they should.

And sooner or later the flip wont switch? Hey we've had our share of last second end game surprises. It's okay:)
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Barb despite the Spurs being 8 games back of Dallas, they may be better and believe me the Mavs are looking over their shoulders. The Pistons and Spurs have made just minor changes in the top six players, since their showdown in 2005.

The difference is you still got a good coach who can motivate and our coaching sfaff has changed and is still learning despite doing it for 15+years and having assistant coaches with rings of their own. Good luck down the road. (until you face us)
  7. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Only the extremely casual and foolish fans have forgotten about the Spurs... Everybody is raving over that gimick style of ball the suns play and slurping up dallas so much they foolishly are ignoring the sleeping giant spurs... Glad to say I'm not a member of that silly bunch, the spurs are firmly in my radar as a dangerous club... In the meanwhile I'm more concerned about how poorly and out of character my Pistons are playing... We've got to get our own ish together with the quickness, tonight wouldn't be a bad start either. Don't care if melo just had his first seed or not, our Pistons have got business to attend to TONIGHT! GO PISTONS!!!!!!!
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Notice the insertion of Mr. Bowen for the final +10 point stint.
    Yeah Pop put the ringer in, took the kids lunch money.
  9. barbara SanAntone

Hey guys, thanks for encouragement, but I think Spurs and Pistons are so much alike, and if they can get their "old ways", no one can beat them and surely they will be in finals. As you know, Spurs have been struggling on and off, trying for some kind of consistancy. They finally "got it" and this is what Tim D said after the Kings game:

While handing out praise for Ginobili's clutch play in the fourth quarter, Spurs All-Star center Tim Duncan was more impressed with the defense his team has played during the streak, when no opponent has scored more than 94 points. "I don't know what it is, but we have turned the corner (on defense) and been more consistent," said Duncan, who had 15 points and 13 rebounds. "We use the regular season to get into form and get ready for the playoffs. Maybe it's taken us that long to understand playing defense, but we're starting to do it."

Now, this is from a guy who has been playing defense all along, and even he, and Pop and meshing the new guys take work. I think that is where the Pistons are right now, the regular season gets the guys ready for the playoffs. If the Pistons can use the rest of their games, honing the defense for which they are famous, and keep their eyes on the playoffs, treating each opponent with respect as a potential contender, learn from them, I know they will make it. We are the same championship teams we were, this is probably the last time this caliber and type of play will get together. so, great job on the Nuggets, GO PISTONS/GO SPURS GO
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"If the Pistons can use the rest of their games, honing the defense for which they are famous, and keep their eyes on the playoffs, treating each opponent with respect as a potential contender, learn from them, I know they will make it. We are the same championship teams we were"
    Nice try BSA.
    Gelling the team for the playoffs isn't something FlipS understands. Pop yes. Flip no. Purr house of cards falls if Nobili or Parker blows out a wheel. We're finding we can't replace any of our starters without losing something big. CWebb can't cover for Sheed. All those guys you tried earlier showed weakness.
    Good health to you.
  11. barbara SanAntone

Actually, Thee, you are right. It takes a "championship" mentality to break through those final weeks, get that killer competetive edge and make the run. Pop has it, Avery definitely has it and the diff between the 2 will be Pop's experience (hopefully:fingerscr ) I have the feeling Pop has more control over his guys than Avery has his, sometimes he looks really pissed, cant help but love the guy.

I think Flip S. doesnt have that Finals maturity or mentality because he hasnt been there, not his fault, but he has to have been there to feel it. Some folks do "just enough" are happy not to lose, not to win, stay in the middle, be mediocre. I think I would get him a "consultant" guy, someone to feed him, someone who's been there, someone not threatening, but he has to know there is another step to go. Otherwise, how can he relate to his team, who have be champions?

Another thing I don't understand is how a guy can put his team in jeopardy by getting selfish techs. Nets did it last night.

When no foul was called after Kidd went down hard following a missed shot with Duncan defending, a loudly complaining Frank got a technical. Kidd then got two of his own and was ejected with 4:17 left in the third.
    "I was surprised by all of them (the technicals)," Kidd said. "I don't complain about calls unless I've got a legitimate case, and tonight I did."
    Frank got a second technical and had to leave the court. Finley made that free throw, and one other off a technical given to Moore, who said he got his when, "I walked over to (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich) and asked him how much did they pay the refs tonight." Real class, huh?

I can see losers like the Nets losing their cool, but Pistons have to keep their composure, no matter what, because teams are going to know they can push the right buttons and make the Pistons lose.:sssh:

Good luck with the Clippers today, we have them here again on Tuesday. :)
  12. barbara SanAntone

OFF TOPIC BUT I GOTTA VENT, FOLKS:

I am still so mad about Kings playing Artest yesterday and I have yet to see anyone except a female sports talker express her rage.

This is about family violence, a major major problem in our society. Forget about "innocent till proven guilty", Artest has a history, a pattern of violence toward women, and it looked like the Kings were going to follow through leaving him off the roster until he could get help, go to court, etc. Then suddenly, Artest "sees the light" as a new father (and why this kid? what about his other 3?) how he had dishonored his family, the organization, Sacramento, etc. What a bunch of bull. And, like it was all okay because the team needed him, and after all, basketball is really more important than social issues.

Well, fact is, the Kings played better without him. They played a hell of a game against Spurs without him. I tell you, this is gonna come back and bite Maloofs in the butt, really hard. Now when I see "NBA CARES"
    I go "yeah, really" when you see that NBA teams work with kids, many many of whom are the sad and helpless kids of domestic violence. The Kings, Artest, NBA should all make huge donations to womens shelters, the only place that these mamas and kids can go to, so they wont be beaten or killed.

I am really mad. I'm not through with them yet, but dang it, you would think when you finally get to be 75 years old you wouldnt have to try and take care of these things. Oh well, so be it.:drillsergeant:
  13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I bet you are a teacher and your favorite course is called "Urban Myths."
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh yeah. Convenient of Artest to wait until the Michigan judge lifted his probation or this would have landed him back in jail here.
  15. barbara SanAntone

Not sure my other post went through, so will try again.

Just wantd to say I am sooooo happy Mavs got beat, especially by Don Nelson and his GSW. His game plan to doube Dirk forced 23 Dallas TOs and erratic shooting.

From Yahoo Sports:

Nowitzki became visibly frustrated in the third quarter, flattening Davis for an offensive foul before comically swatting a loose ball out of a cameraman's hands in his fury. Johnson removed him from the game while Harrington hit a free throw to put Golden State ahead by 23. Two possessions later, Nowitzki was whistled for a technical foul for chirping from his seat on the Mavs' bench.

Chirping? What is chirping? I think it's funny, I'll bet that is a side of Dirk that Avery is very familiar with.:) Now, let's go get 'em before they get their rhythm back:stirthepot:
  16. barbara SanAntone

Well, our winning streak is over, you know it's gonna come, but I was kind of hoping it would be the Pistons to break it. Bucks are good, beat us before, and Pop expected them to come out with passion and intensity to support the new coach, and they did. Spurs never could match it. So, glad they had a hot night and looks good for the new coach, who is an ex-Spur:) .
  17. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That winning streak wasn't going to last forever, but how did the Spurs manage to get a 2-game skid going by losing at home...to the Celtics? :eek:
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well when the hot teams lose, they always seem to skid at least a couple of games before getting back in gear. Pistons loss 3 of 4 at the beginning of the month after winning 10 of 11. Mavs lose 2 in row after winning 17 straight and now Spurs lose 2 after winning 13 in a row. that is why it is hard to get that media driven goal of 70. This just in Suns follow suit and lose two in a row too.

Spurs were due to run into a couple of scrubs teams who were going to play above their head
  19. barbara SanAntone

I think that was a psyche thing Spurs didnt count on. I mean, St Patricks Day in Boston? Can you imagine the Green everywhere and a bunch of rowdy Irish? And Celts hadnt beat Spurs in 17 years? No way Spurs were going to win that day:)

Besides, Manu probably had it right, Spurs getting too cocky. There is a difference between Piston "swagger" and Spurs "cocky". Swagger is the real deal:sssh: Im proud of Pistons beating Suns and I count them as beating Mavs too, regardless of the score. Looking forward to Friday with you guys, I think it will be a great game, hoping both teams play tough and healthy.:hoops:
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't understand how anyone can get cocky with Gregg Popovich constantly :director: at them!