Spur Talk

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 6, 2005.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Moore, who said he got his when, "I walked over to (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich) and asked him how much did they pay the refs tonight." Real class, huh?
    ---------------
    Nice
    --------------
    As for Artest, it sounded like he was retreating when the women brought out a foreign object. Not condoning anything but things tend to go south quick for idiots.
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ron must be sailing by the coast of Chile. He's going to be wishing he had a nice fat dog to keep him warm soon.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

RED ROCKET!
  4. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Yep, we love our red rocket. How did we get so lucky to land him?

Well, we officially have clinched a play off spot, so for real it will be Mavs, Suns and Spurs. We played Pacers last night, and what gets me is that Pacers were playing a pretty tight game until the second half, when that jerk Jamaal Tinsley ejected himself, like a spoiled brat he threw the ball into the stands in a tantrum.

His team could have really used him, some of the guys were playing through injuries, so why does he do this to his team, no matter how he feels personally? After he got ejected, the Pacers were so disrupted, they just fell apart. Doesnt he care what he mentally did to his team?
    What a jerk:gun1:

Good luck with Rockets tonight. Yao has trouble planting his feet (he gets tangled up in his legs) so use that little morsel of info to beat them:)

Spurs are getting ready for you guys. Media hype is building it up as a pre-Finals match. The beast in the east and the best in the west. I think spurs and pistons are all pretty healthy right now, they are playing team, they are looking good, they are both playing with intensity and passion (when they want to). I give the edge to the Pistons, even tho the game is a back-to-back, there is the revenge factor.

I guess what it will boil down to is which team has a hot night, gets the ball to fall, gets low turnovers. It always is:stirthepot:
  5. barbara SanAntone

Oh, I almost forgot, the town is hopping with basketball fever. We have
    NCAA regional finals Thursday 3/22, PISTONS/SPURS 3/23 and NCAA finals Sat 3/24. San Antonio is one of 4 cities to host regional rounds. The Final Four games were held here in 2004 and we will host again in 2008. So I guess that makes us the b-ball capitol of Texas, forget Bobby Knight and "looking at Lubbock in my rear view mirror":)

Oh, Knights okay, you gotta love the guy.:hoops:
  6. roscoe36

7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Number 1 on my list and coached by Nellie. Also a GM.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"He's going to be wishing he had a nice fat dog to keep him warm soon."
    -----------
    Yeah animals seem to relate to certain human frailties. Like some know when their master is about to have a siezure and can warn them.
    Unfortunately when MCA's dog came up starving we all knew there would be a stupid attack to follow.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Once again, Popovich gets the best out of his bench as they poured in 64 points on the hapless Sonics. (of course Genobli is part of that bench and he had about 19 himself).

It was a 41 point victory for the Spurs and I just watched their scrubs blitz the Sonics scrubs in the last six minutes of the game (garbage time) stretching a 20 point lead to 41. I know the Pistons bench players played well today, but the Spurs 10-12 players normally play every game and tonight the look like the starters (Ok they were playing the Sonics scrubs, so maybe I am sensationalzing things a bit). :MusicBigGrin:
  10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Someone just emailed this to me--check out the reason for Horry's DNP in this Yahoo boxscore. Someone there must have a cheeky sense of humor. :lol:
  11. roscoe36

Spurs: Don’t Sleep on the San Antonio Spurs | HOOPSWORLD.com

12. barbara SanAntone

Roscoe, it seems to me that a team that wins a ship, misses it the next year, that's why I dont think Heat will win EC, Piston's time now. And if the guys keep playing in play-off mode, I think we will have our MATCH:)

Spurs/Piston game had all the good, bad and ugly for both teams that you will find in the play-offs. Spurs are hot, they dont intend to decimate the other team, but the bench is so aggressive, it's like they are still auditioning for the coaches and the score is 5 down. Glad to see Melvin Ely play the other day, dont know if he did anything. Apparently he came here in really bad physical condition, so the major thing has been to get him fit. He's a low post player and can use right and left hooks to basket. Maybe he will be our secret weapon. But the Red Rocket kid is our baby, what a guy.

Anyway, smells like playoffs to me. We just have to keep our guys healthy, mentally and physically. Dont want injuries down the stretch. Robert Horry has abdominal contusions and is out for a while. Abdominal contusions always makes me think of "ruptured spleen" blunt force trauma to abdomen and doesnt show up for a week or 10 days. Sure hope he is okay.

GO PISTONS/GO SPURS GO
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Spurs can handle anything coming out of the West. And the Pistons or Heat.
  14. barbara SanAntone

Well, we are winding down now, played the Suns and next hurdle will be Mavs on the 15th. Our next 3 games are home, GSW, Portland and Kings, 2 away, then last one home. Really didnt know how we would handle the Suns, but we never let them get in a rhythm and in a comfort zone by keeping them low scoring. We didnt let them get us into the trap of run and gun, when they could beat us, but, as the announcers kept saying we "imposed our will".

I liked the idea of that, "imposing our will", our will to win, our will to take the game where we wanted. Because I think the Pistons and Spurs are so much alike, when they want to, I think Pistons will "impose their will" too, and I still look forward to a Piston/Spurs rematich.

Good thing the game ended when it did, Suns finally figured out what to do in the last minute or so and we ended only 5 points ahead. Dang I hate those finishes:hoops:
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yep. I reckon the Spurs will win it all again. In my eyes, they have orchestrated their season perfectly to this point.
  16. barbara SanAntone

TaShawn, right now we have to try and come out of the West, and there is no guarantee that we will make it. Then we have to meet the East, and I have faith it will be the Pistons. I hope so, Pistons are the only team that knows how to play the Spurs. I dont think Heat can play 7 games, Shaq cant pull off the whole thing, he will wear out.

Spurs have been under the radar, and its worked for us. Folks are quick to call us "old and slow" and I'm sure same is said about Pistons. What people dont realize is that is our style, it fits the defense that Pop plays, it is to slow down the other team, this isnt the All Star break to show off moves and how athletic we are. It's to play smart basketball. That's why Spurs and Pistons need to keep on doing what they "know", what has gotten them to the finals before, what they do best, and dont give in to the flavor of the month. So let's go for it! GO PISTONS/GO SPURS GO:cheerleader:
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like the Spurs ability to control the tempo even better than the Pistons.

The Dallas/Denver game tonight was very strange though. Both teams barely broke the 70 point mark. It reminded me of what the Finals could be like with SA vs. Det.

I would like nothing more than to see a 7 game NBA Finals with neither team breaking 90 points. What other rules would they change after that? Lower the basket to 9 feet? Allow 6 players on offense?

The only thing that makes me nervous is that SA matches up so well against us. I think the Pistons would have a better chance against Pho or Dal.
  18. barbara SanAntone

TaShawn, this is Steve Kerr's, Yahoo Sports take on Suns Spurs game: Exerpt:

Of more concern for the Suns, though, is the manner in which the Spurs controlled the tempo Thursday night.
    For most of the game, Phoenix's vaunted running attack was held in check. San Antonio used its execution in the half court to slow things down, accomplishing that task by taking care of the ball and establishing Tim Duncan in the post. Tony Parker attacked when he had an advantage and got plenty of easy hoops in scoring a season-high 35 points, but in the half court, the Spurs opted not to launch quick jump shots that might result in rebounds and fast breaks. Instead, they went to Duncan, who had his way with Stoudemire and Boris Diaw.

Unable to deal with Duncan by using smaller defenders, the Suns were forced to counter with Kurt Thomas. While Thomas did a great job defensively on Duncan, his presence meant Phoenix couldn't go with its small, quick lineup to expose matchups and quicken the pace. The result was a tempo that San Antonio was very comfortable with.
    Therein lies the rub for the Suns: If they go small, they can't guard Duncan. If they put Thomas in the game, they can't run. That's why the Spurs have been the one NBA team capable of slowing down Phoenix the past couple of years. And by keeping the Suns in the half court, San Antonio has been able to deny them open looks at three-pointers.

So, even tho its tempting to take the quick jump shots, you cant give the Suns any advantage, and really have to control yourself and follow the plan.

As far as the Mavs go, they are good, but they lose their composure easily, and once that happens, they are gone. You can almost see the turning point in their game (of course Dwight Howard was out with foot injury). Anyway, IMO. I agree that Pistons can beat Mavs and Suns but I still want Spurs/Pistons rematch. With all players healthy, mentally and physically. Spurs have been pretty healthy so far, Horry still out with abdominal contusions, and there is some worry there, he is to get an MRI to see what's going on. Also, Michael Finley has really come through this year, last year he was uncertain to what his role was and has found his fit this year. Pop worries that Manu and Tony are too fearless and could get injuries.

So, you guys keep up the good work, stay healthy and see you in the Finals:cheerleader:
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So, if my memory serves me right, Detroit and SA both held the Suns to 85 points, which was the lowest 2 games of the year for Phoenix.

I know that Phoenix could have scored more against both teams if things had been clicking for them, but most teams can't shut down the Suns even on a bad night.

SA vs. Det is highly probably... but it could very easily be Dal vs. Mia as well. That's why they play the games I guess.

Injuries are the wild card.
  20. barbara SanAntone

That's a real concern, injuries. Pistons and Spurs need to really be careful in these final games, because many of these teams are fighting for playoff spots, or don't have anything to lose, so just want to put a player out. Last night in game with GSW it was a good clean game and Warriors were putting up a good fight (they always do).

The last couple of minutes Pop pulled all the players and put in the reserves. Announcer said with so many injuries in the league right now, Pop didnt want to risk his players without cause. About that time, 48 seconds left, GSW Matt Barnes knocked the hell out of our reserve James White. He hit him so hard it knocked him up into the air and crashed to the floor. It was totally uncalled for, not even an attempted block, he had to go out of his way to hit White. The ref immediately ejected him. I mean, it was the first time White had even been in a game, poor guy. Barnes was determined to get a Spur, and he did.

So, watch out for subtle (and not so subtle) attempts to injure our players. Sure cant afford any injuries now:)