Spur Talk

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 6, 2005.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Bsa, Zoo99

Zoo, we don't need that anymore do we. This Piston team looks smoother than "Showtime Lakers"!. The Leagues trying to get away from goon ball. But an up and coming team can earn some respect by going to the physical.
    ...BSA, which of your players will get snubbed by the Allstar selection?
  2. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Which spur gets snubbed?

Well, I don't know anything about the All Star or how they get picked. Let me study it. If only one guy gets picked, I would guess Tim D. If one got snubbed I would say Manu. Just my guess till I can ck it out.:noidea:
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Snubbed

B., Since yours is champs, you could go homer and say any starter that doesn't get picked, is snubbed. Tim should surely make it. What about Bowen? How's Manu playing?:caked:
  4. barbara SanAntone

Ha, caked huh?

Thee, I still don't get AllStar voting.:confused: I understand its all 28-29 teams, picks will be for east/west teams, so what 5 players plus bench or 12 players per team, so 24 players out of what? about 300 players? How are they decided? Fan vote? a popularity contest? How players have rated for their teams? I don't get it. If media picked, they would be prejudiced. So is it a crap shoot? :doh:

Spurs havent been playing too good so far (IMO) but I would choose Bruce Bowen, who is good and always consistant. Manu? he and bruce don't seem to be focused. Nazr had a lot of pre-game personal problems (had new baby, then wife and baby both got really sick) and missed a lot, so he has to pick up his rhythm. Parker has really improved (and worked at it) with his new coach. Horry always comes thru. But the league seems to have an awful lot of good players, east and west, so I would be surprised to see a Spur an AllStar with so much competition and so few chosen. Hey, I dont know what I'm talking about:blah:

Sure, I'll eat that cake :hungry:
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

the stars for the east and west teams are voted online by the fans on nba.com, and the bench players are voted in by the coaches in the nba, and the coaches can't choose their own players.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Bsa

Looks like you get to vote online for your favorites. At the top of the PF.com looks like a spot were you can:nod: . I'll probably vote all Piston unless I can vote for West players to. I would vote for Tim for P.F. out of the west. It's too early now to know who will be best but a month from now would be a good time to vote.:nod:
  7. barbara SanAntone

Mike Monroe's take on won-lost records

This was in yesterdays SA Express News (since then Pistons and Spurs both won last nite:nod:

Monroe says that for 1st 2 months or so, you can't tell too much about a team unless you look at their plus/minus scores. That's why coaches pay so much attention to scheduling, even though all teams will play 41 home and 41 road. To get that score you subtract home losses from road wins. According to his figures, Clips and Spurs are tied in the Western conference. Here's excerpt:

The Pistons have the best overall record in the league, 9-1, and the best plus-minus, plus-5.
    At the other extreme you get a little different look. The Raptors finally got a victory over the Heat on Sunday, but they are, nevertheless, minus-6, worst in the league. The Hawks may be winless, but are only minus-3.
    By the plus-minus rankings, the Clippers and Spurs are tied for best mark in the Western Conference, even though the Mavericks have a better record than L.A. The Grizzlies, in fact, went into their home game against Portland last night with the same plus-3 mark as the Mavs.
    That plus-4 for the Clippers easily is the most significant of the early plus-minus numbers. Nothing signals a change in a team's overall fortitude quite like its ability to turn around historic ineptitude away from home. Not once in their 35-year NBA history, in three different cities, have the Clippers had a winning road record. They are 4-2 on the road thus far, same as the Spurs. To put that in franchise perspective, they already have won more games than three past teams did over 41 road games.
    The Clips won only 12 road games last season, so what is so different in the early going this time around?
    It's the end game. With Sam Cassell, one of the league's gutsiest players, taking charge down the stretch, the Clippers no longer choke. And Cassell's mind-set is such that he thrives on the pressure to perform in hostile environs. (more on SA E-N Spurs site).

Good games last nite Spurs and Pistons. And good luck Pistons on Wiz
    11/25/05. WE GOT WIZZED--BIG TIME on 11/12:doh:

Happy thanksgiving :)
  8. barbara SanAntone

Tony Parker has improved a lot...

and the Warriors coach commented on it in SA Express News, Johnny Ludden. Mario Elie played w/Spurs under Pop in 1998-2000 and was assistant under Pop 2003-04 season. Exerpt from article:

The Spurs' point guard. By Elie's estimation, Tony Parker was averaging eight layup attempts a game.
    "I wish Tony would have done that when I was there," said Elie, who served on the staff of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich two seasons ago. "I was on (him) to be more aggressive. He was like, 'Oh, I'm picking my spots.'
    "Now, he's not picking his spots. He's attacking."
    Unfortunately for Elie, Parker looked even better in person than he did on TV. He scored 26 points in only 26 minutes to help the Spurs rout the Warriors 113-89 at the Arena in Oakland. :laugh:
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

BSA, I think you left something out on that +- thing. Seems kinda weak. You need to look out for these "Showtime" Pistons their blowin' all through the league.
  10. barbara SanAntone

Pistons are best team right now...

I don't think anyone can argue that. As far as the plus/minus thing, I don't know how Monroe figured this stuff, just thought I'd throw it out there, maybe it's a little voodoo-stat-in:eyebrows:

Good luck to you guys on Wiz tonite:nod: We play Bulls, I don't know much about them, guess I'll soon find out:)
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What do you know we got Wizzed on too. Bulls are much improved as you just found out. Pacers lost to Hawks. Make your shots or go home sad.
  12. barbara SanAntone

Yep, we sure got bull-dozed

:doh: :doh: :doh: Seems like Bulls figured out how to stop Tony Parker. Exerpt from Johnny Ludden column SA Express News:

During the Spurs' Nov.7 victory in Chicago, Tony Parker scored 22 points, including eight in the five-minute overtime period. Whenever he tried to drive into the paint Friday, the Bulls were waiting for him. He finished with a season-low 13 points.
    "We just tried to pick him up early, collapse and make him get rid of the ball quicker," Bulls point guard Chris Duhon said.
    Before Friday, Parker hadn't scored fewer than 17 points in a game. On Wednesday against Golden State, he drove for 10 layups and matched his season-high with 26 points.
    "He's having a great year," Skiles said. "He's breaking down every team and getting to the rim, and he did that against us at home. You can't keep him out of the paint, but you have to kind of keep him from getting directly to the rim and making plays."
    The Bulls were able to do that Friday by packing the lane.
    "The guy who's on him has to stay in pursuit, and then the other people have to do the best they can to contain him until the pursuit catches up," Skiles said. "He's very crafty. He can get between two people. You have to be really tight.
    "If you don't let him get all the way to the restricted area in front of the rim, you can get the ball out of his hands a little bit sooner, and then you have a better opportunity to close out on the shooters."

So, you guys watch out for those Bulls, they are packing the lane. You play them 12/3 (a back to back after Knicks on 12/2. We have our own nemesis, the Mavs on 12/1:frusty:

So far, Spurs and Pistons getting beat by the same: Mavs, Wiz, and don't get Bull-dozed, like us. Good luck Pistons:nod:
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

So where were your midrange shooters or can't TP kick out?
  14. barbara SanAntone

Thee, saw your post about the Tre...

Yeah, I think it's sexy:laugh: . Micro has a good point though. Spurs got forced to make the 3's because the Bulls shut down the lane

Express-News Johnny Ludden:

Parker wasn't the only one who had trouble getting to the basket. As a result, the Spurs attempted a season-high 28 3-pointers.
    "You know if you go to the basket, you're going to draw a charge or shoot against three guys," Manu Ginobili said.

I don't know how many of the 28 attempts translated to Bulls score:mad:
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

May as well shoot the Tre and gamble on the extra point rather than a higher % duece or dos if your spanish.
  16. barbara SanAntone

That's funny..

I have no idea what you mean, Thee, but it cracks me up:pound:
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If T Tony P Parker drives the lane and gets double teamed he should Kick [pass] the ball Out to the uncovered teammate. Who should be open for the 2.
  18. barbara SanAntone

well, thee, I dont know...

Could be Tony has poor court vision and couldnt find anyone, or maybe he was selfish, or maybe, the Bulls were just too dang good. Pop said we made a lot of mistakes, partly because of Bulls executions. He said "they did a helluva job, it was fun to watch:doh:

Hey, Thee, Pistons gotta watch these guys. Here was one of there ploys: (from J.Ludden SA E-N)

After three of their big men — Michael Sweetney, Tyson Chandler and Othella Harrington — ran into foul trouble early in the second half, the Bulls went small, using a lineup that featured 6-foot-9 swingman Luol Deng as the tallest player. Chicago quickly found a remedy to the Spurs' size advantage: They shot over them and beat them to the rebounds.
    The Spurs also went small but could never consistently stop the Bulls.
    "Their big men getting into foul trouble might have been the best thing to happen to them," Robert Horry said. "Their smalls got into the paint, and when we collapsed, their big men got the rebound.
    "They played good tonight."

So, when they play Pistons, can Pistons go small if they have to?:confused:
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is really lee356's territory but I'll give you a lineup.

PG - Arroyo
    SG - Hunter
    SF - Evans
    PF - Delfino
    C - Maxiell
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good stuff Barb

Your reporters are fairly insightful. But how you let the Bulls smalls out play you is still a little confusing. I guess they penetrated repeatedly with success. Were did Timmayyy go ? We will be on the lookout for those cats.[small quick]
    Micro, there's the challenge, if the Bulls smalls start lighting it up we got to light it up to---BomB Squad!
    Mr. Big Shot
    Roscoe
    Tay
    Red Hot Dyess or Mo
    Rip as necessary or Fino
    Build the Church with half court prayers!