Stack ...how did he do in the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by basketbills, Jun 21, 2006.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Hoopsanalyst has an article about the Stack suspension and it is one of the defining moments of this Finals.

http://hoopsanalyst.com/0506pt8.htm

Here is a little retrospective look at the glory days of Jerry Stackhouse.

-March 4, 2006: Stack is fined for fighting with Robery Horry, who apparently tried to bite Stack during a brawl
    -April 11, 2005: Stackhouse is suspended one game for fighting with Jazz rookie Kirk Snyder in the tunnel after the game. Snyder was reported as the instigator to this incident.
    -April 23, 1999: Stackhouse reportedly punches teammate Christian Laettner in the face during a charter flight over the results of a card game.
    -March 22, 1996: As a rookie, Stackhouse missed and a layup and then grabbed Utah's Jeff Hornacek by the throat and punched him in the face multiple times.

My question to the forum is has your opinion of Stack changed at all based on his performance in this years playoffs?
  2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Stack is still my man! This guy has plenty of heart, even though his post season shooting % ain't the greatest.

I got no problem with Stack bustin Shaq. He did what Dampier should have done, especially given all the smack Shaq talked about him. The Mavs should take notes from Stack. And Joe should bring him back. :nod:
  3. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Even as a Shaq supporter I'm alright with Stack taking liberties. After all it was a Shaq elbow that drew blood from Stacks nose in game one. Too bad Jerry didn't disguise his bad intentions a little better.
  4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I didn't follow the Pistons that closely when they had Stackhouse so I'm kind of forming my opinion now. I respect the way he laid out Shaq on that hard foul. Totally respect that. Shaq had that coming. Also, Stack had a great, great block last night late in the game, which would have been the highlight of the game had the Mavs won it.
  5. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I've always liked Stack and still do. I'd love to have him back in a Pistons uniform.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I cannot count the number of times I wanted to punch Jeff Hornacek and Christian Laettner. ;)

I could go for a late night STACK of pancakes right now.
  7. max

max All-Star

All justifiable right?

He does have a reputation of being a pretty good brawler. I remember the 96 Hornacek incident. Stack was responding to a cheap shot during a hard foul.
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is all based on memory and that's dangerous, but in my first couple of seasons watching the Pistons when it was the Stack and RC show I remember over and over in the playoffs thinking that this was the time when the team's star ought to stand up and get something done - get a basket to stop a run, get a steal... And I seem to remember over and over Stack not getting that done.

All right, so I don't think he's the man. He does seem to have done better in the role he has in Dallas. But I still seem to remember more disappearing acts than strong games.

He deserves a decent contract just for knocking Laettner on his butt though.
  9. basketbills

You have a good memory. This is from an ASB article at the time of the Stackhouse trade..

Stackhouse, 27, was coming off one of his best seasons in the NBA. While his scoring average dipped to 21.4 points per game (from 29.8 the season before), he displayed a better all-around game that drew praise throughout the league as well as helped the Pistons win the Central Division title with a 50-32 record.

However, he was criticized for his poor play in each of Detroit's series-deciding playoff games. In Game 5 of the Pistons' first-round series with Toronto, Detroit won 85-82 but Stackhouse missed nine of 10 shots from the field while scoring just five points.
    And in the Pistons' 90-81 loss to Boston in Game 5 of their second-round playoff series, Stackhouse was 3-for-18 from the field while scoring just eight points. Detroit lost the best-of-seven series, 4-1.

Stackhouse's future as a Piston was in doubt even before Wednesday's trade. The Grand Rapids Press (Grand Rapids, MI) (Sept 12, 2002): pB1.

I think he changed the perception of himself as a playoff choker. Look at his flurry of points in the game 2 Mavs win. He was nailing 3 pointers from all over and even had 4 point play. At 31 he's still got a ways to go too.
  10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well, except for game 1 of the spurs series :)
  11. basketbills

Another interesting fact mentioned in that article was Stack's close ties to future Hall of Famer Rodney White. Could Stack's departure from Detroit the reason Rodney has temporarily fallen off his Hall of Fame career track?

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, I never put 2 and 2 together before, but I think you've got something there, basketbills. Rodney was never the same after that trade...
  13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Nah, I loved Stack when he was here..but I think Tracy McGrady said it best when he was asked to describe Stack's game.

"...forced"

I'm not in a rush to see anymore 360 degree jump shots. Stackhouse was classic for making an easy shot more difficult. Sure it was entertaining when he hit them, but there were many times that I wanted to come through the TV screen and choke the hell out of em'.

He was a very loyal Piston though and you won't find another guy more committed toward community service.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

I was at that game. Seems like Stack had just lost a relative or something. I remember thinking that he deserved a little slack, but I can't remember exactly why.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Stack didn't do too well. I remember Sack had an open drive in Game 1 against the Spurs when the Mavs were down by 2. Instead he runs back to the 3 point line and puts up a 3 with 2 or 3 players surrounding him. He only did good the last 2 minutes of Game 6, but it wasn't enough:ohwell:.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I completely disagree. Stack had a couple of mental lapses, but more for the most part, he showed more effort and guts than any of the Pistons. He hit some HUGE shots in all 4 series.
  17. basketbills

Yeah, to me he showed that he has come a long way since his Piston days when he faded in the playoffs. Maybe the pressure of being the main man for the Pistons is what did it? He definitely was on full throttle in this years playoffs....

Here is what he says in today's Dallas Morning News

"Yeah, I would," he said. "I've done more here than I've done anywhere else. That says it all for me.
    "It means something to have an identity with a team. We've accomplished something this year. And we've got a chance to take one more step. And that's what all players want.
    "I'd love to ride off into the sunset with the old Mavericks."

I think Stack has found a great fit and maybe he's due for a contract extension?