Breaking News Stan Van Gundy - GM & Coach Offer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, May 13, 2014.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

What needs to happen and will most likely happen; is that most of the professional accomplishments, toward player development, will happen in the off season. It will be with private trainers. Much more work needs to done in this area.

Sometimes the big flaw in development is in immediacy. It begins (or should happen) in an incremental ways (brightened by player mental attitude) that work needs to progress on their weaknesses. Muscle memory takes least one month (the easiest part). Likewise (under mental stress) pressure, during the long season, becomes much more influential. In most doubts, concerning the latter, you bring on what you have depended upon. Usually, the people that have taken the small steps with you. This is a simple fact.

SVG is the type that finalizes the full course preparation of a eight-course meal: the combination of the spices is his introductory method to gain leverage during game time. In this heavy time...he re-introduces the current palette flavors that went into the preparation. Something all players (as a system recipe) should relate to. They should remember their small steps forward (with the people that were with them) and if not... then perhaps it might behoove them to understand accountability. Hesitations always occurred. Learning is an adaption game of tiny small steps forward and there is little feedback if your are hitting the bulls-eye.

Think not? Look behind you: there is much hunger. They may know, what you do not.

Therefore you do what you must do: keep on moving forward.

There are now tons of tape on your every flaw, but none on corrections. Never say, I don't care.

Sheed is an personality that has had one approach, because it has always been constructed by one main element of his ethos: it is all about me. In a sense, I feel that while he can contribute (in emotional times) certain individual acknowledgments that players need from an original contributor; I also think it is important to understand certain nurturing developments that need to occur in this organization and not dampen a newly creating understanding that the on-the-floor players need to create certain leadership levels within themselves. Tough thing to develop from players just slightly out of their teens and trying to understand the chaos from the last few years.

Getting back to Sheed. No doubt, he is a powerful personality; but his maturation level is pure (at this time) 100% salt dump into this new recipe. Time and circumstance for him, is not right. To much learning to do for all involved.

BillLaimbeer, kpaav, Nemo and 2 others like this.
  2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Yeah pass99, these players need fathers not playmates.

basketbills, kpaav and roscoe36 like this.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't like the 3 bigs because I want to know which 2 will finish the game prior to the game.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Would you max out Monroe knowing that it won't be as restrictive as it normally would because of the rising salary cap?

7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm trying to imagine how frustrated I would be over Monroes lazy body language, his no show on defense and his "Aaaaaahhhh!" if he was doing it for $15M.

del likes this.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Totally not worth it.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Will there be max players that only take short term deals so that they don't lock in at below their true value?

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

What could they spend their $$ more wisely on. I worry more on what they put around him/them than what they pay him.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Is there some LaMarcus Aldridge potential with Monroe?

I get the feeling we'd be zeroed in on the fact that he doesn't play D if we had him at the same point in his career.

He's not an athalete either.

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

It is nice hearing Van Gundy talking about playing A.) A defensive system of any sort and B.) A defensive system that hides the weaknesses of the players.

I'm interested to see what he can do with Datome. I think he might play as a 4.

He finished the year nicely when he handled the ball some after rebounding the ball.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I like LMA but he isn't the guy to carry a team. He can't protect the rim and is just a bad Dirk. I think that having a mid-range game is so crucial to a good offense, but lets not pretend this guy shoots 50+%. He doesn't. He shoots a lot and at around a 45% clip. He doesn't get to the line that much, but he is ok at the stripe.

If Monroe becomes LMA, he is worth the rookie max. But at the moment he is a one dimensional 16/9 guy who isn't athletic at all, has nothing outside of 5 feet. He is a good defensive rebounder and a great passer. I don't think he is a useful piece for the team. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and have spent a lot of time on this board defending him, but he is a low post threat on a team with no spacing. If he can be moved through an S&T for a really good rotation shooter, preferably at the 3 and a pick, I'd do it almost every time.

Having said that, I think that it is worth seeing what SVG can do with the pieces we have. We haven't had a coach this good in a long time, and everyone on this board agonised over the seemingly idiotic rotations that we saw from both Frank and Cheeks. Lets not even talk about the defense.

I like Datome, and saw a lot of good things from him. He needs to stop being scared of the basketball though. He always hesitates and as a catch and shoot guy you can't be doing that. Set and shoot, set and shoot. If you are open let them fly.

roscoe36 and Nemo like this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sounds like Duncan's a bit... if only Monroe was a great defender.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Isn't that the point? Why not put shooters around him instead of paying a guy say $15 million to play the same position as him?

They could have signed 2 top mid-tier guys with that $$ last year to play the 2, 3 and still had room for 2 full MLE level type guys after they re-sign Monroe.

16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

And a great offensive player.

17. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Do we think that Monroe is eventually the guy that we can chuck it to in the post and he will get doubled? Would you say yes if say we could get a guy like Luol Deng?

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

I would not do it. No way I keep Smith over Monroe.

I think you can go to him for a shot.

Deng's production can be approximated wisely and cheaply. (at least by other teams)

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think any team is going to want Smith's 3-year contract at $14 million per year, especially after the egg he laid this past year.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Deeeeee-troit Basketball!!!