Breaking News Stan Van Gundy - GM & Coach Offer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, May 13, 2014.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hear you LA Piston. We can complain about any "potential hires" and voice our displeasure, but once the deal is done, we got to support the choice.

After all SVG did do one thing with the Magic that Sanders never did with the Pistons.....win game 6 of the eastern conference finals and get the finals.

I am Okay with the choice and ready to support it all the way back to prominence. Hopefully with his two years off he was able to watch a lot of games > especially on the collegiate level and if we do get a pick.... the right guy is chosen.

brofmfa and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We could do worse than Sanders.

3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre, coaches like players can improve. But my point is that Stan is no mystery to those fans who watched the Miami/Piston and Piston/Orlando series and his coaching was not stellar at all against us. Of course, I hope he succeeds...but I can't get worked up about his hiring until he shows me more than he has shown in the past.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No coaches were stellar vs the Pistons 03-08 teams....normally we won and if we didn't it was because of the refs and the players were burned out due to Flip not trusting no more than three players off the bench during the regular season,.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I like this move just because it seems like the Pistons organization will be more than just Joe now.

This is about as good as the Pistons could have hoped for.

Isn't SVG anti-offensive rebound?

The Pistons got to trade Smith.

Great job by you, kpaav, starting this thread.

If I'm Gores I'm making SVG hold an iPad when he sits in the stands. And if I'm SVG I'm wearing a sports jacket over a fully buttoned 5 button polo for any team business.

coynejeremy and linwood like this.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Was Van Gundy a good coach the year they eliminated LBJ from the playoffs?

7. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

At least we have direction and a clear voice with power. Can it fail - absolutely. Actually it is probably. Better than the rudderless ship we have gotten used too. I just didn't see an up and coming coach staking his career with the Pistons as their first gig. That smelt like retread 4.0 coming with a botched draft, unprepared free agency endeavors and a bad season.

We do know who SVG is. He will be a guy that surrounds Drummond with shooters and preach defense. I am OK with that. Doc Rivers wasn't much of a coach until 2009. The man was on the chopping block. Now he is considered a messiah. Not to say SVG is going to be Jesus, but rather than nit-pick his over 0.600 winning % I will celebrate the best acquisition in a while.

We are no longer irrevlant. When was the last time we got run on both Around the Horn and PTI. Also, we did get him over the holy Warriors. Yea we paid $$ but it has to mean Platinum Equity has some attraction.

Walter and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

5 years? This is going to be a big buyout.

BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'm just happy that we got a real coach, and not one from a Cracker Jacks Box.
    We'll be better...Just how good depends now on the players we move...keep...obtain.
    If Stuckey...or CV are here next season...I'm just gonna be sick...

10. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Don't wanna count chickens yet (contract is still not signed), but I am happy with this hire.

We (potentially) hire our first winning coach in a long time, and he is likely the best available - to any team. This just doesn't happen with the Pistons.

Anybody arguing we could have done better has not been watching the off court mess unfold over the past 6 or so years.

11. V_T

V_T Second Round Draft Pick

I also didn’t like SVG’s teams in the play-offs, but let us get there first. May be SVG cannot do a team that could win a title, but the Pistons are currently far behind that level.

What I don’t like about this move:

1) SVG’ll probably try to bring Otis Smith to GM;

2) 5 year contract is a bit too long, I would say.

PS As for me, Flip was a very good coach.

12. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I hope we are all kidding about this being a bad hire.

Howards magic were a crap team and they freaking dominated. Stan Van Gundy is a straight up elite coach. He got bench warmers into awesome roles and made his team play to their strengths. That Magic team is probably one of the worst teams to ever make the Finals. You want someone to help Dre? SVG is the guy to do it.

This is the first step in the right direction this team has taken in a long time.

13. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm really happy with this hire. I normally agree with @lapiston , but this time I just can't. There were very few other options out there, and reaching for another wild card coach to be the next Pop or Rick wasn't going to work. We need to establish ourselves as an organization that gives a hoot. SVG will bring that here. He may not win us our title in year 4 or 5, but someone will.

14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What a relief. This hire could not have possibly gone much better. I was so sure this leaked interest was going to turn out to be Van Gundy's agent driving up his asking price.

SVG is not the best coach in the NBA, but we were never going to get the best coach in the NBA (he's currently under contract).

SVG is one of the better coaches in the association, and didn't he get fired because Orlando was desperate to appease primadonna Dwight Howard? Sounds like a coup to me.

He has a reputation of being a screamer, so we'll see how that plays itself out. For now, I'm very pleased.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Since he's guaranteed $35M, maybe he'll feel secure enough to bring in laimbeer?

16. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

It's a good thing coaches don't have to undergo a physical before they sign on the dotted line. :burgereater:

Great move for SVG, obviously. Job security as a Pistons coach. Think of that.

17. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Would say it's a good hire and Kpaav had a valid point. Since SVG need a "gm" (a small GM) to run his daily business so Gores is going to pay a GM+HC and a gm in addition or the GMHC is going to pay his gm by himself ?

18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

GOOD GRIEF, MY PEEPS!! WHO DID YALL THINK WE'D GET AS COACH?? JESUS HIMSELF???

let's see what happens the year after this one......cuz aint no way Smith and Jennings gonna survive this guy...lol

19. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Totally agree.

And on a side note, aren't we an entitled bunch? After a run of Curry, Keuster, Franks, Cheeks, and Loyer, we get a guy that's taken two subpar teams built upon a superstar and a bunch of decent players and turned them into finals contenders - first with Miami in 2004 (Jones/Wade/Butler/Grant/Odom, lost in the Eastern Semis) and then later with Orlando in 2009 (Lee/Alston/Lewis/Turkoglu/Howard, lost in NBA finals). And now we have people that are all like "well, I don't know if he's quite the guy to put them over the top." THEY'RE NOT AT THE TOP! WORRY ABOUT THE TOP WHEN YOU GET THERE!! Also, people said the same thing about Brown.

(Side bar, who was more talented - the current Rockets team or that '08 Orlando team? Who went farther?)

Yeah, his attitude probably doesn't sit well with prima donna players, but that's the best part about this - he no longer has to fight with management about talent because he's the one mostly in control of it, and the players can't really challenge him because there's no one over his head. How many of you bemoan how much power the players have in this league? Wasn't it just a few short years ago that the players mutinied against Keuster and refused to play? Didn't Smith and Billups allegedly go to management to encourage them to fire Cheeks? SVG not only has the experience, but now he has the job title so that he won't have Pat Riley pushing him out the door or a nervous front office firing him because Dwight Howard doesn't like him all that much.

And who are the prima donna players on the Pistons? Arguably Billups, who thrived under just as controlling a coach in Larry Brown and as the team leader should recognize that SVG is a HUGE improvement; Josh Smith, who always feels like he needs someone to rein him in; and Brandon Jennings, who hasn't had a decent coach in his life. That's it. Drummond, Singler, KCP, Jerebko, Mitchell... these guys all feel like hard workers that want to get better and should improve immeasurably being coached by SVG.

I haven't been this excited about a coaching hire... ever. Mark my words, gentlemen, this is the day Gores finally did something right for this franchise and this is the day everything turns around.

The Panda, Walter, V_T and 4 others like this.
  20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I hope Stan succeeds. But I have to go on what I saw as he coached against the Pistons in the playoffs until he shows me otherwise. He is a fairly known commodity for those of us who watched those series.

One good scenario is that he brings the Pistons back to prominence and then someone else steps in if he can't get the team to that elusive elite level.

I too would not want Otis Smith in. He didn't get it done in Orlando.

The Pistons will make the playoffs very soon regardless of who is coaching. Watching these playoffs, most of these teams do not have much on the Pistons. Andre will be (is) better than what these teams have. The big difference now is the guard play. Watching these playoffs, I feel re-confirmed that the Piston guard play is what is sub par. And, these playoff teams have shot makers. Now, Stan ran with Jameer Nelson a long time. He was more of a second tier guard than a first tier guard. Jennings is at a level maybe just below Jameer at this stage or close to his level. Yes, what will Stan do with the guard situation--that may be the early key.