Breaking News Stan Van Gundy - GM & Coach Offer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, May 13, 2014.

1. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

You do not get top dog for underperformers - but Gores got the closest alpha male from realistic possiblities

2. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Furthermore, the Pistons' coach staff has been lame for some years, SVG should also organize a effective coach team that is capable to develop young player as well as draw some X & O at both end of the court.

Darth Tater likes this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If the Pistons don't correct their roster aka jettison Josh Smith then it doesn't matter who coaches them.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm assuming that gores has a power point somewhere on his hard drive that shows SVG getting replaced by Riley late in the 2017 season.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You can fault Gores for a lot of things (bad dancing, poor choice in shirts, head tilts, etc.), but this is about the best possible outcome you can expect for this organization. This is a great start to turning this wreck around.

Next Monday is the NBA lottery. I have a strange hunch that the Pistons are going to get a lucky ping pong ball and a top 3 pick. The tide is turning. Jump on the bandwagon.

Walter, linwood, Laimbrane and 2 others like this.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with your first paragraph.

I disagree with the second. Now that the Pistons look to be assembling an actual front office I have a feeling they'll get bumped out of the lottery and will have 6 guys sitting around doing nothing.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

More importantly. Does he have a power ring? ( love the avatar, TaS). :biggrin:

coynejeremy likes this.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

This might be the best choice among openly available coaches.
    My question is this: How "available" was Tom Thibodeau?

9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I will say that Stan is a smart guy. The Piston job (because of Drummond) and because of Piston history is actually a good job right now. The team is playoff bound. Most of the teams in the playoffs do not have much of a personnel edge on the Pistons. Watching the various teams, the Pistons do not have the guard production that the playoff teams have and obviously the Pistons lack guys who can flat out hit shots.

But the Pistons front line (including Josh) is superior to most teams. Guys like DeAndre Jordan, Nene, Gortat, Hibbert, David Lee, Howard etc. do not have anything other than experience on Andre and even Monroe. Bosh can shoot and he has that over Monroe. Aldridge too can shoot.

Most coaches can coach up to the first round level. A few can get past that on a lucky year. Very few can get to conference finals more than once and still fewer (a handful) can win a ship. The Clippers moved up big time with Rivers. Del Negro was a decent coach but look at the effect of Rivers. Look at Carlisle with Dallas.

Since I see the Pistons as a playoff team in the making anyway, yes, I am looking down the line to that next level now. It should be only 2 years away. That will be the ultimate test for Stan.

10. BillLaimbeer

I like this:

Stan Van Gundy officially hired by Detroit Pistons after wowing brass with detailed plans for team | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

11. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

This is all I keep hearing in my head...

12. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Plan! That's what I'm talking about.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

From where we are right now......I would LOVE that problem.

Walter, coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What up peeps! Soooo a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 5 years because a coach isn't proven to be a champonship caliber coach should be picky? Crawl before you walk, walk before you run. My standard: +.500 record with a trip to the playoffs ---> Get past the 1st rd of the playoffs. If he can do that, money well spent.

brofmfa likes this.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm going to start posting the same comments in each thread just to be safe.

17. Laimbrane

I always love hearing from Grantland (the New Yorker of sports writing). Excellent article from Zach Lowe, who is the best NBA writer on the planet.

And my favorite part...

Detroit Retools Its Engine With Stan Van Gundy «

linwood likes this.
  18. BillLaimbeer

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

At least I won't have complain about the GM not putting his foot down about how the team is run.
    This will be a hands on GM. And no excuses.

20. Laimbrane

The Lowe article mentioned that, but Lowe thinks it's overblown. According to him, SVG is wary of guys that just look at the numbers and don't appreciate the unquantifiable nuances that are involved in the game. And he's making the very valid point that the data in such a rhythm-and-flow game will inevitably be subjective and therefore wrong a good portion of the time.

That quote above is a perfect explanation of why I think he's one of the best basketball minds out there - he makes a very valid point, does it rationally, uses concrete examples to explain his position, and is always, always thinking about the game. While I love stats as much as the next stat geek (I'm teaching a class on sports statistics this summer, actually), I'm well aware that they're just a tool used for analysis and end up becoming this new-age way for people that aren't involved in the game to make themselves feel like they know more about sports than they do. It's analysis trumped up by guys that want to use complex mathematical formulas to try and understand people, who put more of a premium on a few simple numbers than on the (very important) mental aspect of the game.

And it's important to point out that he does have a use for it, but that he doesn't treat it like the be-all and end-all of sports analysis, like some die-hard numbers fans do: "To me, I think that a lot of the analytic stuff can be very useful, but if you’re using that in place of sitting down and watching film yourself and seeing what’s going on, you’re making a big mistake." So Stan appreciates analytics, but he knows there's a lot of noise in the data, and that if you're not attuned to seeing that noise right in front of you, you're not going to succeed.

But either way, I don't think we can expect to continue to see Smith jacking unprecedentedly stupid jumpers. SVG won't put up with that.

coynejeremy and Mogilny like this.