Breaking News Stan Van Gundy - GM & Coach Offer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, May 13, 2014.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Why did Stan come? As I said, he is a smart guy. I never bought into the notion that the Piston job wasn't a good one. Stan sees that Andre could become in his words a "megastar". Stan sees what I mentioned previously: Piston history. Stan says how many arenas in the NBA do you walk into with multiple championship banners?

Stan also understands that the 6 year Piston run had the to end because the Pistons "aged." In his words, none of starters except Tay are still in the league. I had thought that the team should have been completely blown up after 2008 and our own Sheed pronounced in Sheed-like fashion, very bluntly, "its over" back then. The trying to rebuild on the fly only has prolonged the agony. Not only Billips should have been traded but Rip as well.

The Pistons are playoff bound: Stan or no Stan. Watching the playoffs, the Pistons lack guard play that can match the playoff teams and of course, the Pistons have no one who can really shoot. You sure need some shot makers in the playoffs. The Piston team does not have one player who can make more than a stray shot in the last 5 minutes. No way to sugar coat it.

And the Pistons lack unity. Stan will bring that. The Pistons will get to the playoffs. But for a franchise with multiple ships, just being Washington will not be enough. And it is at that point, Stan will have to show that he has learned from the past.

At this point, Stan will have to show he can "fix/adjust/trade" the guard situation out. The bigs are there and only going to get better. (Stan: how many teams have multiple talented bigs in the NBA today?)
    brofmfa likes this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I could give you 35,000,000 reasons.
    kpaav likes this.
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

more Stan. On Jennings: "why the 37%." This has been the focus of many on this board all year.

On Josh: "matter of putting him at a spot on the floor." Many of us have noticed that he is all over the place. With no system, and questionable guard play, Josh was often left with the ball with nothing to do but jack up a long three.
  4. BillLaimbeer

pass99 likes this.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Yes, I was just going to add that Laimbeer, right. Monroe has "great, great value." Many of us have been hesitant to embrace any scenario of losing Monroe at this point.
  6. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I watched most of the press conference yesterday as it happened to be on at a good time here.

Liked pretty much everything SVG said, and the way he said it.

Liked a bit of what Gores said, but disliked pretty much everything because of the way he said it. The guy is really starting to irk me.
    He jumped in at one point on a question about will SVG call Popovich on how to run the franchise as a president/coach, to say what we all know already - "we will use that as a base, but build our own brand".
    Goes unsaid mate. Shut up.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

What's wrong with that? What did you want/ expect him to say?
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

that was a smart-ass question, needed to be shouted down.
  9. Darth Tater

Explain... Please.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

what's everybody else think of that question ?
  11. BillLaimbeer

Seemed like a good one.
    Darth Tater and roscoe36 like this.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm with Thee, I thought it was outrageous. Why not ask Gores if he was going to call Peter Holt up so he could learn to be a good owner?
    Darth Tater likes this.
  13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

It was disingenuous.
  14. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The question was to SVG about will he talk to Pop though, get some pointers, etc. Fair question, a little predictable if anything.
    SVG joked a little bit that they were busy etc but he would probably talk to them.

I just felt that everyone knows you are not going to just replicate someone else's structure/model. There was no need to jump in at the end of the light hearted moment SVG had created to say that.
  15. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

I actually don't think the money was the biggest reason. I mean, Steve Kerr got like 25 million and he have never coached a day. I think the Knicks could've given SVG atleast 30 to only be the coach.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Here's an article that gets into SVG's assistants etc. I hope Sheed stays on board to work with Drummond.

Loyer is still around as is the guy they hired off the streets to be an assistant after Cheeks was fired?
    New Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy looking to get up to speed at NBA draft combine | The Detroit News
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

TB, del, Gores is an Alpha Male by profession. They don't take snide remarks without dealing one back.
    1. I don't think Pop will assist the enemy.
    2. Did someone insinuate SVG wasn't up to the task ?
    3. And considering Gores answer he wasn't that offensive. I was a good assist. Back off my coach.
  18. Darth Tater

I agree with almost all of this. That is why I asked Del what his perspective was and I thought his response to me made sense although I personally don't agree with it. Why you took exception to my question and tried to make an issue out of it is beyond me. But I don't understand or agree with much of what you say so we can leave it at that since I don't care.

Anyhow, once again I agree with you on this particular issue regarding the actions/ expectations on Gore and SVG. I thought they said the right things and I like the plan of action. I think it puts an end to the shenanigans once and for all. I see that SVG has a very good coaching record and if he brings a few beautiful ladies into town to shoot a couple of movies well that's a bonus in my book! :inlove:
    roscoe36 likes this.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Group think. cause its a forum. diplomacy, didn't know I had it, did you.
    linwood and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  20. BillLaimbeer