Standing Pat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Sanddunes, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News:

The Pistons didn't make a move at the trade deadline but still might have taken a few steps forward in the East:
    No deal

Miami lost Dwyane Wade (shoulder) for anywhere from 3-8 weeks to the rest of this season and couldn't pull off any last-second deals to acquire another point guard.
    Chicago tried to pry forward Pau Gasol from Memphis but couldn't get it done. It would have given the Bulls a low-post scoring threat.
    Orlando never got close to pulling the trigger on a deal to bring guard Vince Carter home.
    Cleveland worked right up to the deadline to acquire guard Mike Bibby from Sacramento, but couldn't close a deal. Bibby has struggled this season, but his presence would have made the Cavaliers the most dangerous threat to the Pistons.
    Indiana not only didn't make any trades, it might lose starting guard Jamaal Tinsley , who was indicted on felony intimidation charges.
    Washington couldn't unload either of its battling big men -- Etan Thomas and Brendan Haywood . The two have had three fist fights this season.
    Deal
    Toronto is the only contending team that improved -- slightly. The Raptors acquired reserve guard Juan Dixon .
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Chris obviously did not know that the Juan Dixon trade was done so Toronto could move Mo Pete for Darko.

I'm not big on counting our chickens before they are hatched. The Purrs just handed us our butts a week ago. Seems premature to assume that the path to the Finals is clear.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

So what will happen with Nazr and Flip?
  4. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons did not need to do anything, in my opinion. They are the class of the east and nothing they could have done would have made them any more or less competitive with the west.

I think they are going to come out of the east and it depends on who comes out of the west as to how they will do. I think that only Dallas would beat the Pistons in a 7 game series, although Phoenix might be close.

I think Orlando will be better this year than they are now as Battie and Ariza do mean a lot to them. I know people here do not have a good opinion of Tony but he is a dependable shooter from mid-range and brings a decent game every night. Ariza, I believe, more of the Piston fans have a little respect for him, or at least, soon will. He is the Magic's Tayshaun but does not disappear as often.

No, I don't think the Pistons have anything to fear this season, but they cannot get complacent, as they seem to do at times. Gotta keep the peddle to the metal.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

What about a backup point? Is Hunter the right guy? I had a lot more faith in him last year than this year.
  6. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am an anti-hunter guy, but his play or shooting of late has been better. He still bogs down the offense though.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Lenz isn't health reliable...keep your fingers crossed.
  8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Where have you been for the Pistons last 15 games or so? Geez

People would think that you have to make a trade or acquisition within the last 48 hours of the deadline for it too count. Double Geez

:hoops:
  9. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Hunter is hardly as injury prone at this is making him sound. The two ankle injuries that he's had have been legitimate, not to mention the team purposely letting him cill due to "age" in order to see which "next best" would fail next.

He's hardly been a permanent fixture in the infirmary.
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

11. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Evidently Dumars must not have liked the deals and/or the bigs we have are more important than trying to upgrade the backup PG.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The article says we win by default. Nobody else moved but CWebb wondered in.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Low do you like the laid back managing of JD? You never know who might just ask to be a Piston. Non rookie that is.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will agree on Ariza for sure. So far, Orlando has not proven they can win without Ariza. But as for Battie, forget it. Orlando is better off using Turk as a backup power forward. (and never as a backup small forward). Hill knows this, but is about the most stubborn coach you can find as far as changing up his starting lineup.