Starters for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Aug 17, 2010.

?

Who do you think should be starting this season?

Poll closed Sep 16, 2010.
  1. Will Bynum

13.2%
  2. Austin Daye

2.6%
  3. Ben Gordon

39.5%
  4. Richard Hamilton

52.6%
  5. Jonas Jerebko

34.2%
  6. Jason Maxiell

2.6%
  7. Tracy McGrady

18.4%
  8. Greg Monroe

57.9%
  9. Tayshaun Prince

76.3%
  10. Rodney Stuckey

86.8%
  11. DaJuan Summers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Charlie Villanueva

34.2%
  13. Ben Wallace

68.4%
  14. Terrico White

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Chris Wilcox

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Kgreg, you're hitting the bottle early today, my friend. :pound:

I like your plan, though.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Cause Joe has no real basketball minds surrounding him since Hammond left. KGREG, you should apply for the position ..even if they can't afford to pay you.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Only if they bring in Lee to design Q's rotations, we're a package deal.
  4. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Bill, Bill, come-on! If the 15 characters stay the same, need you ask?
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are right.... I started to say that the two of would be Joes' left and right hands, and you two would keep him muzzled....:MusicBigGrin:
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, so far, we got Stuckey, Rip, Tay, Monroe, Ben Wallace, if going by popularity in the poll.

Likewise, for a 2nd unit, we have: Bynum, Gordon, TMAC, JJ, CV

Obviously, there is something missing in the 2nd unit. So either you got to go by popularity, and switch Monroe for CV, or use JMAX at center for the 2nd unit. (replacing either of TMAC, JJ, or CV)

Anyway, so much for popularity. By mid-season, with this setup, we will have a tired out starting unit, full of injuries, and several young players wasting away on the bench. Just a certain recipe for disaster.

You see, our coach, who most likely has learned nothing, if he starts Rip, Tay, and Ben Wallace, will absolutely overplay them, grinding them into the dust as soon as possible.

So, either idiot proof the situation, or get a new coach.

In the idiot proofing department - Dumars could simply tell Kuester to operate mostly without Tay, Rip,TMAC, and Ben Wallace for a while to start the season. In this way, we can get a good look at all our youngsters for the first month or two, and end up with a healthy, versatile, rested team going into the playoffs.

Start Stuckey, Gordon, Daye, CV, Monroe.

2nd unit: Bynum, White, JJ, Summers, JMAX.

I am leaving Wilcox out of the discussion until I see he can actually play.

Oh, by the way, there is a word for this plan: rebuild. But yes, you can have it both ways. Half a season of rebuilding - while still trying to win with the youth - and then half the season preparing for the playoffs.
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would have gone more with "trainwreck", but to each his own. :)
  8. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Interestingly enough, Ladanian Tomlinson also has an opinion on it:
    [​IMG]
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I've never been a strong supporter of lee's rotations and tendencies to start guys who aren't even on the roster (cough cough, Sammy Meija) but...

If it's about building for the future, he has some good ideas here.

lee has the 10 guys that are slated as "future" guys getting minutes while the "Pistons of the past" crowd is relaxes on the bench and waits to be traded .

It kinda makes sense.
  10. BillLaimbeer

Pass99, Pass99! It looks like the forum is giving quite the variety of responses, so it appears to be a good question.
  11. BillLaimbeer

To be honest, I wouldn't have a problem if the Pistons used a lineup something like this. I just don't see this squad winning more than a couple dozen games. You get these guys some valuable NBA experience and you see who is capable of playing at this level. Instead of preparing for the playoffs, though, you are looking to secure a top 3 pick in the 2011 draft.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is not meant for the whole season, just the first month or two. It could end quicker if the young guys just don't have what is needed to win - and assuming Tay, Rip, TMAC, and Ben Wallace do.

I believe we can reach the playoffs, and do well there - with a well prepared, rested squad.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You are missing my point - after the first couple of months, we know what we have - and trade as / if needed. Trades could include the vets, as well as the youth if they have developed trade value from playing. And on the other hand - we just might find in the young guys enough talent to win with.

The only harm this scenario could do is to the pride of the guys who start the season sitting. Get over it, the good of the team is what is important. Guys like TMAC, Rip, Tay, and Ben Wallace are not going to last a season with heavy minutes and be effective at all somewhere around midseason on.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

You know, that would be quite a radical move, but also probably something that'll substantially improve the team's record.
  15. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

I think there is more to playing in the NBA than just talent and game experience. At some point the team has to get better at executing their sets offensively and defensively, and no one is better at that than the veterans. To leave them out is to expect some very unorganized basketball until the return, and a period of sluggishness as they get back up to speed.

How many close games need to get lost while we wait to see which young'n will step forward, or should step forward? Odds are we will know about everyone's deal after a few weeks of training camp. If Daye or Monroe isn't strong enough then, how will starting help? While this move would be bold, it may not immediately bear fruit in terms of development.

Starting young players will not immediately translate into wins, a la Oklahoma City, either. Getting torched every night doesn't help anybody develop. The young players need to learn how to WIN, our best chance of winning requires putting our best players on the floor, so unless the young players become our best players, they are better off waiting their turn.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Good stuff fellas! tads, Lee, Walter......That's what makes this the premiere Piston site on the planet!
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Our young guys will never become our best players if they don't play. That is a certainty. But, really, you don't have to be the best player to be the best choice for being on the floor at a certain moment. Lets say you are choosing between playing Tay his 35th minute, which he can't handle, or playing Summers, who could use the minutes. Summers won't do that bad. He is a pretty sound defender, with lots of strength. Now, Summers is also young - and won't get injured from just playing. Tay will, at this point in the game. Just maybe Tay could win this game for you playing 40 minutes. But he will be out the next several games from a sore back. Not worth it. If you would like to see Tay play in the playoffs this season, you better hope the youth do play.

Also, we are adding, among our 15 player squad, White, Monroe, TMAC.

Stuckey, Bynum, Rip, Gordon, Tay, Daye, Summers, JJ, CV, JMAX, Ben Wallace, and Wilcox are returns from last season.

Among the 3 additions, TMAC, if healthy, is a good defender. Monroe, with all his length, should be a good defender. Plus he is our 1st round draft pick, a high draft pick - that nobody is guessing won't get major minutes.

So who does that bring it down to as far as young guys who could possibly hurt our defense by playing? White? White is a very athletic guard with good height, who nobody has questioned yet on his defense. He could get minutes over Bynum, who is often seen getting shot over due to his shortness. No, I can't see White hurting our defense any from playing. Sure, some guys just have no footwork for defense, I guess I will see when he plays some - but overall, your argument that young guys playing could hurt our defense seems quite far fetched for this particular season.
  18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Playing and losing is far better than riding the pine and winning for development imo.
  19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

As with most topics people normally refuse to see the third option... somewhere in the middle, take Phil Jackson for instance.

He plays his reserves alot during the regular season, but not enough to let winnable games be lost. Come playoff time there time is reduced, but he does know who he can count on and in what situations to push the buttons.

The kids need some time, but they also need to earn extended time. Finding the balance is the issue.
  20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor