Starters for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Aug 17, 2010.

?

Who do you think should be starting this season?

Poll closed Sep 16, 2010.
  1. Will Bynum

13.2%
  2. Austin Daye

2.6%
  3. Ben Gordon

39.5%
  4. Richard Hamilton

52.6%
  5. Jonas Jerebko

34.2%
  6. Jason Maxiell

2.6%
  7. Tracy McGrady

18.4%
  8. Greg Monroe

57.9%
  9. Tayshaun Prince

76.3%
  10. Rodney Stuckey

86.8%
  11. DaJuan Summers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Charlie Villanueva

34.2%
  13. Ben Wallace

68.4%
  14. Terrico White

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Chris Wilcox

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

2. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

They also get to practice against NBA level talent as well, so the only way they won't get their feet wet is if they are going against replacement level talent every day because their team sucks.

OKC isn't the best comparison, first off they haven't been over 35 wins since 04-05. That sounds like a drop off that would rival the teal years, which I definitely want to avoid. Second, they had an absurd amount of draft picks. They drafted 7 times in two years before last year, and the year before that their two picks were Kevin Durant and Jeff Green. How would they look if they got stuck with Greg Oden and Michael Conley, the two players selected ahead of each seattle's picks? They might still be in the teal years.

If their situation is to be modeled, we have to basically throw away the next two years, draft INSANELY well, like we would have to get at least starting five on the USA basketball team, and get that guy to commit to staying. All the while maintaining team morale in a place that might have higher expectations than OKC's who probably aren't very demanding of their brand new franchise, the cities first and only pro franchise ever.

OKC is a tough act to follow. Even if we can't do that, we can give the youth some play, but they have to earn it. I think Bynum, Stuckey and Jerebko clearly earned their time, Daye and Monroe will probably earn theirs, and it's possible that Summers and White may not be NBA players, they may need more than just playing time in order to become effective.
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good post. I think sometimes people try to use outliers as examples of where we should be, but it rarely works that way.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons might be throwing away the next 2 years as is, but instead of getting the opportunity to draft insanely well they'll get the pick of the mediocre litter.

When the Pistons had the chance to compete for NBA titles they chose to count their pennies instead. Now that they're not contending it seems like they'd rather hope everything breaks their way so they can finish 5 games above .500 in place of biting the bullet for a stretch, drafting some legitimate players and building an actual winner.

In a 2 choice game the Pistons always seem to choose C.
  5. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

In the current situation, I'm figuring a repeat of the "Teal Years" before we return to respectability. Only new ownership with a plan can change the course of this team.
  6. tads

The 2 choices must be either Rebuilding, or Win NOW. Blow off a few seasons, or blow off a few Benjamins. I think this is a false choice, real teams need to be always thinking Win NOW.

What made the teal years so painful was that we kept waiting for the right player before it was time to say, 'F' it all let's do this'. Then Allen Houston leaves, then Hill, then we're back in the lottery for Mateen Cleaves. Would you rather we give Mateen more time so we can let him develop, or we sign Chauncey with the MLE? It was around this time, when Joe came in, that we stopped building around the youth, and started trying to get people in who wanted to win. We could have burned seasons watching Rodney White and Mateen doing pick and rolls, instead we won a championship.

How do you Win NOW when you don't have the requisite franchise player(s)? Get people on the court who know how to play and figure out who isn't ready to commit to team principles and get them out. We trotted out an aging center (Robinson), and shoot-first combo guard at point (Atkins) and rolled out 50 wins. Why? Because we tried hard instead of waiting for draft picks. We rewarded effort instead of potential. The next season we turned over half the roster and got rid of the people who didn't cut it. Then we replaced them with people who are also hungry and want to Win NOW. Now when a new player comes in they know that this team is about winning, not running a basketball camp for potential superstars.

For a real organization, there is no rebuilding it should always be Win NOW. We definitely got away from this with our allegiance to Stuckey, but this year marks the end of the experiment, and a perfect time to hold the three year veteran's feet to fire. I really hope Joe D can pull the trigger and get rid of the slackers by the end of this year.
  7. Nemo

Will Stuckey still be here, or will he be gone? What do you think?
  8. tads

For me, this year Stuckey's name has been tossed around with the word leadership alot, as he really 'should' be in line to be the captain after Rip leaves, assuming Tayshaun and Ben don't take it on. I can't see him being vocal enough, at least not enough to the point where he can get someone like T-Mac in line for shooting too much. So I don't think he will succeed here.

Luckily it's a contract year for him, Joe D will have to think about what Stuckey is and not what he 'should be' and pay him accordingly, in the end it might be Joe's job on the line if he doesn't. If he takes a smaller contract and agrees to changing his role I'd be ok if he stays. If he wants big money and unlimited touches, show him the door.
  9. Nemo

Agreed....