Starting 5 for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by chillfan23, Jul 19, 2010.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

showtime of the 80's waves hi too... its not correct to say running teams can't win. running teams that don't play defense don't win...
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that a running game is better if it is anchored by a dominant defensive center.

Fast breaks generated by forced turnovers or blocked shots is a great formula.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Remember when throwing a great outlet pass was a key requirement for a center? Dwight Howard and most of today's centers wouldn't know a good outlet pass if it smacked them upside the head. They'd rather grab the board and then swing their elbows around why the defense runs downcourt and gets set up.

The lack of quick looks up the court is probably shaving 3 - 5 points off the average team's score today.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I remember the good ole outlet pass:

[​IMG]
  6. Nemo

I kinda liked it when Bill Laimbeer swung his arms around...

[​IMG]
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Starters: Gordon, White, Summers, CV, Monroe

2nd unit: Stuckey, Rip, Tay, JMAX, Ben Wallace.

3rd string: JJ, Daye, TMAC, Wilcox, Bynum

3rd string just means you don't play on an every game basis. You may start a particular game, or come off the bench, if the matchup situation is favorable. Bynum might be needed for some teams that can apply too much pressure on our backcourt. TMAC is simply taking it slow. JJ plays when we could use more rebounding at small forward and the opposing team does not have a particularly quick small forward. Daye plays, at shooting guard, if we are pretty sure he can post up their guards readily. If healthy, Wilcox might sub in for Ben Wallace to give the 2nd unit more scoring punch, and to give the vet some rest.
  8. BillLaimbeer

Shouldn't the starters try to set a defensive tone to begin the game? That starting unit would give up massive points.
  9. dba

Yeah, but that's pre-board. Post board he was throwing the ball.
  10. Nemo

Loved his two handed over his head outlet passes.
  11. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Wes Unseld had the prettiest two handed pass ever.......
  12. dba

Wasn't much Wes didn't do well.

Well, that coaching thing didn't work out too well.
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Scalabrine. His accuracy is unmatched.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Don't sleep on my boy 'Sheed Wallace.
    He's got the two-hander over the head outlet on LOCK.

...problem was (with the Pistons), he didn't have guys racing up the floor filling lanes. Chauncey would pretty much run back to Sheed for a hand-off so he could walk it up the court.
  15. BillLaimbeer

I know, Laimbeer had it down-pat. I couldn't find a picture, though. Rambis was about as close as I could get...
  16. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Big Ben speaks about last seasson,rookies and his desire to retire like a piston despite other offers.
    Fear The froo¡¡¡¡
    PISTONS: Big Ben, a Piston Again
    Detroit's where Wallace wanted to be to finish NBA career
    Big Ben, a Piston Again

by Keith Langlois
    The only question Ben Wallace needed to resolve for himself about the possibility of a 15th NBA season was if, not where.
    “This is where I wanted to retire,” Wallace said Thursday, preparing for another day in the gym, back at the Pistons’ practice facility this week for the first time since the school year ended last spring and the family relocated to their Virginia home. “A whole lot of other places weren’t really options for me. I got some calls from other teams, but I tried to be honest with them and let them know that this is where I want to retire. I maybe only had a year or two left; no need to leave here and try to come back again and finish up. I just didn’t want to go through those changes again.”
    The man who won four NBA Defensive Player of the Year awards as a Piston before leaving for Chicago as a free agent following the 2005-06 season returned to The Palace a year ago on a one-year veteran’s minimum contract after three injury-wracked seasons, dealing with back and leg problems, and he came back to greatly reduced expectations – ones he began exceeding the day training camp opened and never really stopped.
    A few minor injuries to both knees convinced Wallace and the Pistons to shut him down late in a season long-since undermined by injuries to a laundry list of teammates, but by then it seemed pretty clear that both sides were motivated to extend the relationship.
    The only question: How would Ben Wallace’s body respond, at 35, to a workload that far outpaced the blueprint Joe Dumars had in mind when he brought Wallace home last summer to serve as his insurance big man and mentor to young players.
    “That was it – just seeing how my body would respond,” said Wallace, who got back to work immediately when the season ended, in part out of habit and in part to bring the matter to closure as soon as possible. “I just kept going. I hurt my knee a little bit toward the end of the season, so I just wanted to get in the weight room, put some pressure on it, do a little lifting, a little running and see how it responded. Everything went pretty well. I had to sit down with my family and take it from there.”
    Four weeks into the process, he had his answer. Not only did he sign for the 2010-11 season, but for 2011-12, as well. Is he committed at this point to playing both seasons?
    “Yeah – two years,” he said. And after that? “I hope I still have something left in the tank, but I’m thinking that’s going to be it for me.”
    Wallace quickly convinced John Kuester – who didn’t need much arm-twisting after crossing paths with Wallace while on Larry Brown’s 2004 staff in Detroit and again later in Cleveland – that he would be the linchpin of Detroit’s defense. Before preseason was half over, it was clear that Wallace had gone from No. 5 big man to starting center.
    “I always tried to tell everybody – I was going to come in and wasn’t just going to go through the motions,” Wallace grins. “I was going to come in and play the way I knew I was capable of playing. I didn’t expect to start, but the opportunity came and I put myself in position to compete. That’s what I do; I’m a competitor.”
    Whatever role he envisioned for himself, Big Ben didn’t imagine he would log nearly 30 minutes a game, as he did, averaging 5.5 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.2 blocks in 69 games. As the season unfolded and the two holdover veterans from Wallace’s first stint as a Piston, Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince, led the wave of injured Pistons, Kuester leaned more and more on Wallace’s leadership and dependability, and within weeks the preseason plans that Wallace would sit out certain back-to-back sets had evaporated.
    “I knew I was going to be able to do that,” he said. “That wasn’t a surprise to me. We had some guys that went down – that was more surprising to me than anything. I wasn’t expecting to play 30 minutes – at all – but we had to do what we had to do to try to get wins. It didn’t always work, but we worked at it, my body held up and I felt good.”
    Just as Wallace blew away personal expectations a year ago, the Pistons, he believes, are poised to prove wrong skeptics convinced they’re a playoff long shot. Playing the underdog was always the comfort zone of his team even during Wallace’s best days when the Pistons were annual title contenders.
    “I never really paid that much attention to what people say about us as a team,” he said. “I don’t have a problem with them picking us 29th or 30th or not looking for us to make the playoffs. That takes all the pressure off of us – just go out and play basketball.
    “Usually, people don’t look at your roster. Usually, people look at your record from last year. We think we’re going to be all right. We’re going to be a solid team. We’re going to go out and make teams have to come in here and work and we’re going to be able to go into other team’s places and win on the road. We’re going to be solid.”
    Wallace feels better about the frontcourt group than outsiders, too, having spent the first six weeks of the off-season working almost daily with Charlie Villanueva and getting his first glimpse this week of lottery pick Greg Monroe.
    “We’re expecting big things from guys,” he said. “Charlie Villanueva was in the gym all summer and we expect him to come in and, if not start, then compete and push the guy in front of him and make the team better in that way. Greg, we’re looking for him to come in and step in and be ready to play some minutes. (Jason) Maxiell, if he comes back ready to play – the second half of the season, he was probably our best big. Jonas (Jerebko) got some nice experience last year, was able to come in and start, and we’re looking for big things from him. Up front, we’re going to be solid.”
    As personally rewarding as last season was for Big Ben, not merely holding up well physically but re-establishing himself as one of the NBA’s top interior defenders, the losing wore on him.
    “Coming into the season, I said I was going to go out there and play as hard as I could possibly play and give this team every chance at winning,” he said. “On that level, that was a goal I was able to accomplish. But losing … losing is hard to overcome. It’s hard to have moral victories, especially me. Losing just sucks to me – that was it.
    “In hindsight, we had a lot of key guys get injured early in the season and they just kept falling. It was hard to overcome. We all view last season as a failure. But we got an opportunity to get our young guys out there and give them some experience, so hopefully it pays off this year.”
    The reasons Joe D brought Ben Wallace home a year ago have only partially changed. He’s much more than just the spare big man now, but every bit as valued for the shining example of professionalism and work ethic he imparts to the young players. That role will be especially important this year since Monroe figures to be a frequent practice combatant for Wallace.
    “So far, I like him,” Wallace said of the Georgetown rookie. “He’s here early, he’s in the weight room, he’s working out with the coaches and going about his business, not doing a whole lot of talking, just working. I can respect that. I can appreciate guys who are willing to come in the gym and put in the extra work.
    Last year’s rookies – Jerebko, Austin Daye and DaJuan Summers – all won Wallace’s respect by showing a willingness to work and learn.
    “They were young guys coming in that wanted to work,” he said. “They were hungry. They were able to see the big picture. Most of the time, they would come to me and ask, ‘Are we lifting today? Are we doing this today? Are we doing that?’ They sort of kept me young.” If it keeps having that effect, Joe D will want to keep a handful of rookies around every year to extend the playing career of the man who was at the heart of the franchise’s third NBA title.
  17. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

That was a really good interview, Ben has great insight

Somehow if Ben says it, I feel like it has to be true.

I wonder if that is a thinly veiled knock on Maxiell's offseason work habits, or just the honest truth that Maxiell hasn't been around the Palace this year. Maxiell did start a few games at center last year, and it would be awesome if he could start the season there instead of at power forward to straighten out the lineup.

Also, I guess if Ben is vouching for Charlie V, I have more reason to take him seriously.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Gotta make him a part of the organization for as long as he'll stick around.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Dennis Rodman was an outstanding outlet passer as well.
  20. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yeah, but nobody looked as good doing it as Wesley....